1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

any one elce missing green?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by umair, Sep 10, 2007.

1. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    so after 6 1000 yard seasons as a packer, green was not worth 4 mill a season? are you kidding?

2. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It is possible for Green to get 73 yards a game. I was thought I read that he had over 100 yards rushing which he did not. However, I do expect him to go down with an injury sometime during the year. (Not that I would wish for him to be hurt. I just expect him to be hurt.)
    As for Moss, just how many players had a season where they had 183 yard per game avg? ZERO. Thus I said he will not do that every week.

3. Timmons

Timmons Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone else missing spellcheck?

4. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Or not.

5. HatestheEagles084

HatestheEagles084 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ahman Green 2003 maybe, but come on who admits he had that much left...

6. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Yes Sir, I do.

7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Do I miss Green? Yes. I liked him a lot. Was he worth the contract? I'm happy he got it, he deserves to be paid nicely, but I don't think he'd have helped the Packers win the game, in which they did without him.

If I remember correctly Green had a tendency to fumble the ball quite often in the first six games of the season.

If we could have gotten him on an incentive laden contract that could have paid him up to even say six million a year, I'd have been down for it. I think his good outweighs his bad, but to blindly give him 4-5 million a year I think was just too risky when we have a zone blocking scheme in place and two decent one cut backs on the roster already.

What we really miss is his pass protection ability and his catching out of the backfield.

8. Packnic

Packnic Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    not one person on here thinks the offense doesnt need to improve...

the fact is... this offense needs a lot more than Green. I personally believe we have to peices to get better as they play... I dont know what fantasy world you live in dh and fuzz... but you cant go out and by 8 veteran team oriented players to match up with favre and driver with 12.8 million dollars.

would it be nice to still have ahman green, sure. we all liked him, great runner for us. Will he make us miss him with the Texans this season. Hell no. He played against the Chiefs man... the freakin Chiefs. arguably the worst team this year. and he still didnt get 100 yards. HOW DO WE MISS THAT!??!?!?!

9. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    I would have been okay with a contract like that as well..I just dont think to give him what he got was worth it

10. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    was it worth it to give green 4 million this season?

11. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    IF Green ran at the speed he displayed last year, your Granny could have ran him down.

12. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    sometimes I think you just "skim" over a post..

This is what Zero said, and I said I would have been okay with that..

"If we could have gotten him on an incentive laden contract that could have paid him up to even say six million a year, I'd have been down for it. ...but to blindly give him 4-5 million a year I think was just too risky"

13. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    The problem was Green got the deal he wanted from a team that knows he's not going to give them four years but cut the deal now to get him. My understanding of how this went down is it was back and forth between the two GM's and when they bit on the four years he was history.

RB's with that many carries become huge IF'S and with him getting hurt both of the last two years a four year deal was an incredible risk.

To answer the question does TT signs him to one year at $4 mil is a no brainer. ONE MORE good year out of him would have been great but with the money out there Houston rolled 'em.

14. wpr

wpr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Green was injured the last 3 years.
    He only played in 14 games in 2006, 5 games in 2005 and 15 games in 2004. There were other games that he played but was sub par due to injuries. On the other side of the coin, despite injuries, in 2006 and 2004 he still rushed for more than a 1000 yards. But those numbers were less than 2001, 2002 and 2003.

15. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111
    i miss Green because of he was such a great RB except when running on he side he didn't swap the Football to the stronger side but i would love him back at the moment.

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    After the Packers finished 23rd in the NFL in rushing last year then yes I don't beileve he's worth it. Green is also 30 years old.

Do you believe Edge is worth the money he received last year? He didn't have a run over 18 yards and had just turn 30. Once a RB turns 30 MOST of them decline in production. Not all but most of them do.

A few examples....

Emmitt Smith declined in production.
    Eddie George did as well.
    Marshall Faulk did.
    Priest Holmes

Also last year I believe Ahman Green was one of 20+ running backs to run for 1,000 yards. All he needs to do is average a total of 63 yards rushing a year and he can reach 1,000 yards. He has had only one season where he ran for over 1,500 yards. He also average 4.0 yards per carry last year which was the lowest of those 6 1,000 yard seasons. Ahman Green has been a great Packer but his production was declining and he was not worth a 4 year 20 million dollar contract at his age. I think the packers could've offered him a one year 4 million dollar deal but Green wanted the long term deal and Houston was the only team out there to actually offer him a long term deal so he took it. Can't say I blame him.

17. Aytumious

Aytumious Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's bump this when Ahman gets hurt.

18. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not out to boast anything about a man getting injured. In fact, I don't like seeing players get injured ever. Out for the game, sure, providing it was a clean hit.

I hope Ahman the best of luck. Heck, I'd be happy if he gets 2,000 yards. That still doesn't change my thoughts on him. Would it have been nice to have that 2k yards? **** yes! But the risk of dishing out that much money for a RB who has been injured the last couple years and is on the wrong side of 30 is just not something I wanna partake in.

19. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't miss him too much. He's the third week of the season and I think I read somewhere he's injured again.

20. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Okay you got your wish by Zero and I