1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Any Hockey fans out there?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by TheKanataThrilla, Oct 19, 2007.

1. TheKanataThrilla

TheKanataThrilla Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know I am living a Canadian stereotype for wanting to create a hockey thread, but here it goes. And besides Wisconsin (UW-Madison) has had a great College hockey team with Dany Heatley from my beloved Ottawa Senators being a former player.

Point #1 Wisconsin deserves an NHL franchise.

Point #2 Leafs suck!!!

I'll leave the rest up to you

:pop:

2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    EH????

(Sorry......couldn't resist!!!) :lol:

3. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Kanata, I think by the # of responses your question to start this thread has been answered. I can see how football palyers can make the money they do but how do these hockey players make millions while no one even knows their league exists

4. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    NHL players make the money they do because people pay money to see them, like any other league. The players make 54% of league revenues, so for them to make the salaries they do means that the league is making the money overall to make it possible.

5. PackinSteel

PackinSteel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    For all we know Wisconsin already has an NHL franchise...

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We have the Milwaukee Admirals. I used to watch them when i was a kid. They played at Wilson Park, and they didn't charge to watch them. You could just walk in.
    I know alot of people really like hockey.(And theres nothing wrong with that!) I'm just a "football" guy!

7. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I actually do keep up to date on the NHL. Not a big fan like I use to be but Kanata will be happy to hear I basically watch to make sure the Leafs suck again. Now if I had a team it would be the Sharks as I use to be a pretty big Bruins fan but when they traded Thornton I gave up on them and moved with Joe to the Sharks

8. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hockey for me does not translate very well to TV, and being in the middle of Iowa, that is about the only way to see professional or Divison I college hockey. So my interest has definately declined, it is also hard to find on TV if you arfe so inclined to watch.

When the Bradley Center first opened, I bought season tickets for the Admirals for several years, in hopes that NHL expansion would come to Milwaukee and I would be set. But at this point, I do not see Milwaukee as having a shot at an NHL franchise.

Luckily, the Badgers get to Mankato at least every other year, and we try to attend one of these games.

9. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    What I don't understand is why the NHL continues with the failed experiments in the Southern US. Expansions to Atlanta, Carolina (yeah I know they won a cup) and Nashville have been complete failures from an attendence perspective. On the other hand they were smart to stick a team back in hockey smart Minnesota. I am not saying that you can not enjoy a sport even though you have never played it in your life, but it sure helps to have some exposure. Wisconsin is developming many top named NHL players in their College Program and I feel deserve a shot at a relocated NHL team based on the support the Badgers receive. They may not be the sexy choice like Las Vegas, but at least you know that the fan base has a decent knowledge of the sport, and they would make for a great division rival of Minny based on their football history.

Oh yeah, Leafs still suck!

10. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe if we got our team back here I'd get back into hockey. Not like Phoenix has a use for them. I'm happy to see a kid I knew a little bit doing well in Chicago. Jonathen Toews will be rookie of the year for sure

11. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping a relocation of Nashville would end up with talks of a team moving back to the Peg. We need the JETS back!!! The salary cap should guarantee that the Jets can remain competitive and financially secure.

Toews is awesome. Actually the future for the Hawks is pretty bright with all their young stars. Unfortunately Havlat never seems to play a full season due to injury. Great and exciting player, but I don't really miss him here in Ottawa.

12. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am a Blackhawks fan....which means for 30 years I have had no reason to follow the team due to the fact that they scuttle any good player that earns a big salary.

All that has changed with the death of Mr. Wirtz...the long-time, penny pinching bastard that has kept my beloved Hawks in the cellar for decades.

Let the games begin!

13. TheKanataThrilla

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling in the next few years you will be in the fortunate position that I am in with my Senators. It is not if they will make the playoffs, it will be will they win the division or the President's trophy?

Denis Savard has them playing the perfect style. Run and gun hockey is amazing to watch and even better when you win with that style.

14. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't cross the street to watch a hockey game.

15. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hockey players wouldn't get out of bed, nevermind cross the street, to watch you post on www.packerforum.com. Take that! :p

16. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks jd I needed that!
    Upon reflection, it seems that our local college hockey team, the Northern Michigan University Wildcats have recruited alot of hockey players out of Burnaby BC.

17. jdlax

jdlax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The UNM goalie is actually a good friend of mine.