1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Anti -virus, Anti-malware, Anti-spyware, System Mechanic Software ?

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by I_am_smoked_cheddar, Jul 20, 2014.

1. I_am_smoked_cheddar

I_am_smoked_cheddar Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have personally been using Anti-virus/Anti-spyware/Anti-malware from a company based in California called Iolo Technologies. Also I have been using their System Mechanic software to maintain my computer. They are reasonably priced and appeared to work well. I provided updated downloads daily and appeared to be good products.

A few months back I had their Technical Assistance Dept. take control of my computer to help resolve a problem. Well $100.00 later the problem was fixed. It was a malware problem that easily passed by the defences I had purchased and placed my faith in. In other words, malware got past the system shield I had already purchased and infected my system. I was and remain very unhappy that the trust I put in the Iolo Technologies software was simply a trap to get me to have to pay them more money to fix a problem that I had previously paid for to prevent.

I started this thread because I need better PC protection ( reasonably priced ) . I ask members of this forum to please post your recommendations for System Shield/System Mechanic Software . Perhaps others besides myself may also benefit from this thread.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    Avast for virus

I have Ccleaner that I run all the time

I run Malwarebyte on occasions

I do have spybot search and destroy, but havent used that in a while

3. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +847
    I have been using Norton 360 for years. Every once in a while something gets past. But I have never had to pay extra to get rid of it. Even when I called. Norton is like 80 bucks but covers 3 computers. I know some are not hot on them but I have never had a problem while using them.

I also use CCleaner on a regular basis. Mainly to clean the free space and wipe the drive.

I have used Malwarebyte on occasion as well.

4. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,044
    I junked my M$oft products years ago and went with a Linux variant. For just web surfing and simple office suite usage that is all I need. My system is fairly old (7 years) and crawled when Vista was on it. Not enough horsepower to run streaming video. Not many issues ever with nasty software. My Vista boot is running AVG with spybot and as few MS products as possible. Our former IT guy at work stored his data externally and re-installed his Windows every few months.

EDIT: Before I ditched Windows, I was using the TrendMicro products and never had an issue.

5. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    Am I the only one who feels that when you purchase a software program to protect your PC, that it actually protects your PC.
    It was what you paid for after all. Being set up for a bigger ripoff down the road just smacks of fraud to me. If your PC is invaded the Software provider should fix your PC for FREE.

6. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +306
    The current Norton isnt a resource hog anymore. It has a bad name because of how it USED TO BE, however, a lot of things have changed with Norton. Its a lot more simple and streamlined now too. I use Norton and I havent had a single virus on my current PC and ive had it since 2010.

But the biggest and best virus protection are the FireFox plugins. Stuff like NoScript. AdBlock. FlashBlock. It blocks all that crap unless you tell it to run. In other words, stuff wont auto-run on websites by itself with these plugins.

Another good form of virus protection is being smart where you surf. Dont open weird looking emails. Dont download shady looking downloads etc.

7. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,044
    You are right, you got taken. I didn't hear of your AV company so I don't know of their reputation. AVG is free though.

8. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,044
    Upon further review, their are more than a few complaints about upgrading to the premium service to get the protection you thought you had.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Iolo+Technologies+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
    If the link is broken type Iolo+Technologies+scam in google. BBB reports seem to get results provided you have complete and total documentation. Also watch your CC for annual renewal fees. First though is to get their software off your PC. Back up everything important first as it may just wipe everything on its way out.

9. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    I looking for new Security and System Maintenance programing. A few names seem to be leading in the different sites I have visited, they are :

Kaspersky Anti-Virus , Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2015 , and SlimCleaner

I'm also considering the previous post in this thread.

10. metallicblaze

metallicblaze Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    I only have Avira and run CCleaner from time to time. Also have the Firefox extensions as well.

11. I_am_smoked_cheddar

Ratings:
    +0
    Saying I have this or that software is fine , but it does not say anything about your experience with that software. I have few days remaining until I must acquire new protective software. I would really like to hear your recommendations and your stories . Who should be avoided at all cost, who do you like and , WHY ?

12. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +847
    I don't know guys. I got a call from some Indian today,(dot not feather) claiming to be from Microsoft and claiming my computer was sending a lot of error messages to their database. So I listened to him for a while and he was telling me how he could help me. Asked me to turn on my computer and I said OK. Then I asked him how did Microsoft get my home phone number? Well he claimed it was on file. Riiightttt. So I asked him, which one of my 4 computers was sending the information. Had him stumped. Then to really get to him, after a few more minutes, I told him I didn't run windows, I run my computers on Linux. ( I don't really) I let him blabber on for a few minutes and hung up on him. Man I love wasting these idiots time when I can.

13. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,983
    I have always uninstalled Norton and any other antivirus that comes bundled in my new computers.

I then put on (free) Avast on all of them, and have done for years, along with cccleaner

My kids computers, my father inlaw, and mine never have big issues..

The only issues is my father in law's laptop gets pop up windows from him clicking wrong things..

It all depends on what you are doing and what level you need...If the free Avast works for me, then if I bought the premium version, I would say that really works

14. Poppa San

Ratings:
    +1,044
    I went with Trend Micro PCCillin for 3 years. Stopped when I went cheap for the free AVG. 1 bug in 20 years of computing on line, downloading files and disk swapping. (Started with AOL and Prodigy in the early 90's) Nasty came in via kid's email download. Last time I booted in Windows as my main PC. Went Linux and never looked back. Use Win a few times a year now.