Anthony Hargrove

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking like this might not be happening...pretty weird. The stories I keep reading say that Twitter feed might not actually be Hargrove.

Oh well...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought there was some Packer insider who said this was a done deal and that they were just working out the details before announcing it.

Rodgers_Forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packers agreed to terms with DL Anthony Hargrove, formerly of the Saints.

Hargrove, 28, has been primarily an interior pass rusher in recent seasons, but the Packers will likely give him a look as a right end in the role once filled by Cullen Jenkins. The Packers can't count on Mike Neal after a four-game PEDs suspension, and C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn are "just guys." Hargrove can get after the quarterback when his head is on straight."
-From Rotoworld

Reaction score
Packers make it official with Hargrove
By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel
Green Bay -- Some help is on the way for the Green Bay Packers' sluggish pass rush. Free agent defensive end Anthony Hargrove has signed with the team his agent confirmed Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Hargrove, 28, should upgrade a unit that sorely missed Cullen Jenkins in 2012.
Considering Mike Neal is suspended for the first four games this season for violating the league's policy on performance enhancing drugs and neither Jarius Wynn or C.J. Wilson has been more than a rotational player, Green Bay needed to add somone.The Packers also signed Daniel Muir last week.
Hargrove has endured a tumultuous career to date. He missed the entire 2008 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy and returned in 2009 to be a major force on the New Orleans Saints' Super Bowl team. He had 42 tackles, five sacks and three fumble recoveries that season. Last year, Hargrove had 18 tackles and three sacks last year for the Seattle Seahawks.
Of course, Hargrove was one player in the thick of the Saints' bounty scandal. Whether or not he'll be suspended for involvement is unknown at this point.
The 28-year-old Hargrove should improve a defense that finished last overall and 27th in sacks.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it...obviously I worry about a possible "bountygate" suspension but we will have to wait and see on that.

Getting a D lineman the caliber of Hargrove is something I did not see coming before this FA period. This not only infuses a talented player along that D line, but gives Teddy some flexibility in the upcoming draft to go after the BPA. A pass rusher will still be needed for sure, but when it makes sense.

We now have CM3, Raji and Hargrove as pass rushers...getting a "pass rush guy" in the draft to go along with these guys I would think puts us in much better shape than we were last year. And who knows...maybe something will come of Neal, SoOto or Lattimore to compliment those guys.

Feeling a little better about the D now than a few weeks ago...now only if we were to hear that Collins is coming back...

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packers agreed to terms with DL Anthony Hargrove, formerly of the Saints.

Hargrove, 28, has been primarily an interior pass rusher in recent seasons, but the Packers will likely give him a look as a right end in the role once filled by Cullen Jenkins. The Packers can't count on Mike Neal after a four-game PEDs suspension, and C.J. Wilson and Jarius Wynn are "just guys." Hargrove can get after the quarterback when his head is on straight."
-From Rotoworld

Rotoworld has to stop quoting me.

weebles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.. not so sure this is a good pickup. 19.5 sacks in 8 years, and too underweight to hold up against the run. A starter type DE still needs to be addressed in the draft with Pickett entering his last years.

Mozhino

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he will work out well for the Packers. But his story is blew me away, quite an incredible person to still be playing the game. And he is really embracing the Packer nation, follow him on Twitter @A94Hargrove , he is trying to get up to 3000 followers by the end of the day.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless we signed Mario Williams I wasn't looking for our defense to take a big step forward via free agency . What I was looking for was some guys that could come in, compete, provide depth and some help in certain situational packages. Hargrove and Tollefson if we sign him will do that. There's no question the real help we need will come from the draft. But don't minimize the importance of picking up a Hargrove. These signing(s) will give Capers some much needed pieces to move around.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to minimize the signing. He seems like an upgrade on paper, but whether that translates into success in our system or not remains to be seen. Ultimately though, I believe most of the defensive free agent signings are more to bring a guy to camp in an attempt to create more competition for the position. Hopefully things pan out for Hargrove and he provides a much needed boost for our defense, but I'm not looking at any of these signings as being "The answer."

OP
OP
NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to minimize the signing. He seems like an upgrade on paper, but whether that translates into success in our system or not remains to be seen. Ultimately though, I believe most of the defensive free agent signings are more to bring a guy to camp in an attempt to create more competition for the position. Hopefully things pan out for Hargrove and he provides a much needed boost for our defense, but I'm not looking at any of these signings as being "The answer."

Glass half-empty guy, huh?

I don't think any one player could be an "answer", but it is a definite upgrade over Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson. Hargrove is an instant improvement over both guys. As of right now, he would have to the favorite to be the opening day starter at defensive end. Plus, the line needs depth. The rotation last year was horrible.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Glass half-empty guy, huh?

I don't think any one player could be an "answer", but it is a definite upgrade over Jarius Wynn and CJ Wilson. Hargrove is an instant improvement over both guys. As of right now, he would have to the favorite to be the opening day starter at defensive end. Plus, the line needs depth. The rotation last year was horrible.

Good grief, I think mostly any one of us, including Kitten would be an upgrade over Wynn and Wilson.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.. not so sure this is a good pickup. 19.5 sacks in 8 years, and too underweight to hold up against the run. A starter type DE still needs to be addressed in the draft with Pickett entering his last years.

Cullen Jenkins recorded 1/2 sacks in the last 11 games last year. Not exactly lights out numbers. However, if he did what he did for us and raised hell in there with the QB then who cares?

This guy does what the others did not do last year nearly often enough and that's come thru the middle and get the QB off his game so I think that being concerned about the sack stats put up here aren't nearly as important as the number of times he put pressure on. It's asking a lot for these big Down linemen to bring down athletic QB's. All I want is that they don't let the opposing qb set up and get the ball out all day like it's practice.

People in the league say this guy is good at this so I am VERY happy we have somebody like this vs. guys stuck on the LOS hoping to bat a ball down because they can't get to the QB. The defense showed what the could do in 2010 when they made the qb have happy feet on fairly regular basis and they didn't do that this last year. So if this guy does this without recording a sack we will be better.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts