Anthony Hargrove released

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that on twitter of all places.

Here's the deal: he is suspended for the first 8 games anyway..... we'll see what happens in November. We shoudn't need him. He hasn't done anything like we expected and hoped. But Muir has surprised, and we expect good stuff from Worthy & Daniels.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the deal: he is suspended for the first 8 games anyway..... we'll see what happens in November. We shoudn't need him. He hasn't done anything like we expected and hoped. But Muir has surprised, and we expect good stuff from Worthy & Daniels.

My understanding is that he received few reps in practice and in preseason due to the suspension. Presumably, the staff feels confident about our DL depth without him.

Difficult to form much of an opinion on this one. I hope the split was amiable and lends him an opportunity to latch on elsewhere.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This came as a surprise to me. No doubt the suspension was one of the main reasons. I liked the attitude he brought to our D when he first arrived. Hopefully someone else can help replicate that. Hard to make any sort of grade on his performance here because of his lack of snaps. Hopefully he has time to get hooked up with another team. Best of luck Hargrove.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that on twitter of all places.

Some other team would have to pick him up for 8 games of inactivity and then we trade for him. The games don't count unless he's with a team.

W

wxman2003

Hargrove is a bum and was a waste of time. Not any money, because you only get paid if you make the team. It was one of the few bad decisions by TT. Now if he can only find a decent backup tackle. The 2nd string OL is probably the worst I have seen in 20 years.

H

HardRightEdge

I was surprised when we signed him. He had two strikes already on substance violations, including a one year suspension. It was also rumored before we signed him that he was part of the bounty investigation, though the 8 game suspension no doubt came as a surprise. This guy was a journeyman ballplayer with a bunch of yellow flags.

Vet journeymen like Hargrove, Herb Taylor or Muir without any distinguishing recent notes on the resume, signed for vet minimums with no guarantees, are low risk propositions. If you hit on one once in a while it's a plus, but you can't really expect it.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be the first one we call after week 8 if one of our guys goes down and Guy (or whoever else we have on the practice squad) isn't ready. The things he does (or at least did at one time) best are the thing we need (or at least did last season) so don't assume he'll never see a snap in green and gold until he's on another team.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Muir is just a guy. My gut tells me releasing Hargrove is a mistake due to coming in fresh after week 8. You can't tell me that not one of our DL will be dinged up by then. There has to be something else that the coaching staff saw that prompted this.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What this tells me is that the Packers are happy with Perry and and the backups see no need to wait for Hargrove. I agree Muir is just a guy.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What gets me is that they could have kept him around without it affecting their roster for those 8 weeks, kinda like the PUP list, then seen where they were then. They probably could have gotten a couple weeks of leeway on whether they needed him or not to activate him.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see how Goodell can even argue that Hargrove was treated fairly. Regradless of what the NFL says, he was hammered because they thought they had Hargrove on film saying "gimme my money." Even as late as the appeal "hearing" you had Goodell's attorney Mary Jo telling Goodell's hand selected reporters that you could "see" Hargrove saying those words.

It really goes to show how shoddy the NFL's investigation was. In fact, you can't see Hargrove saying that, and it would have been illogical for him to have said it as he was not in on the hit on Favre the play before.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was surprised when we signed him. He had two strikes already on substance violations, including a one year suspension. It was also rumored before we signed him that he was part of the bounty investigation, though the 8 game suspension no doubt came as a surprise. This guy was a journeyman ballplayer with a bunch of yellow flags.

Vet journeymen like Hargrove, Herb Taylor or Muir without any distinguishing recent notes on the resume, signed for vet minimums with no guarantees, are low risk propositions. If you hit on one once in a while it's a plus, but you can't really expect it.
I agree. You would think that TT would have anticipated a lengthy suspension for him as opposed to just one game.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don’t think releasing Hargrove had anything to do with their evaluation of Perry since the former is a DL and the latter an OLB. IMO Hargrove’s contribution (if he stuck) would have been as one of the inside pass rusher in the nickel and dime Ds. So Hargrove’s competition was Raji, Worthy, Daniels, Wilson, Wynn, and Neal, not Perry.

Muir is more in the mold of Pickett – stout against the run. Since Raji is really a ‘jack of all trades’ – NT, DE, DT in the nickel and dime – it may make sense for them to have “two Picketts”. Guy may be in that mold too, although I’m sure they’re hoping he has more of a pass rush.

Regarding Hargrove’s suspension, keep in mind the league said his suspension was longer than some others because he lied to NFL investigators. Had he not, my guess is he would have been suspended 4 games. I don’t agree with how the NFL handled it as I don’t think any player should be suspended longer than anyone in the front office or coaching staff who was involved. Consider the situation a player is put in when his bosses advocate an “illegal” practice: If the player openly disobeys he losses his job. But look at what happened even from the NFL’s point of view: It can’t point to the Saints committing more “dirty” hits than other teams due to the bounties. So apparently the players “played along” but didn’t openly try to injure opponents as Gregg Williams was recorded advocating.

Of course anytime a scandal like this became public, the NFL would have to respond to it. The negative PR in itself would require a very public response. But IMO the driving force behind the sanctions imposed is the law suits being brought by former NFL players who are alleging the NFL hid the affects of concussions from the players. The NFL can use the Saints scandal as evidence they quickly responded to an issue detrimental to the health of NFL players. ‘Soft-peddling’ it would have been used by the plaintiffs.

The only good part of Hargrove’s release is I don’t have to care about how ‘bountygate’ affects the Packers.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think releasing Hargrove had anything to do with their evaluation of Perry since the former is a DL and the latter an OLB. IMO Hargrove’s contribution (if he stuck) would have been as one of the inside pass rusher in the nickel and dime Ds. So Hargrove’s competition was Raji, Worthy, Daniels, Wilson, Wynn, and Neal, not Perry.

Muir is more in the mold of Pickett – stout against the run. Since Raji is really a ‘jack of all trades’ – NT, DE, DT in the nickel and dime – it may make sense for them to have “two Picketts”. Guy may be in that mold too, although I’m sure they’re hoping he has more of a pass rush.

Regarding Hargrove’s suspension, keep in mind the league said his suspension was longer than some others because he lied to NFL investigators. Had he not, my guess is he would have been suspended 4 games. I don’t agree with how the NFL handled it as I don’t think any player should be suspended longer than anyone in the front office or coaching staff who was involved. Consider the situation a player is put in when his bosses advocate an “illegal” practice: If the player openly disobeys he losses his job. But look at what happened even from the NFL’s point of view: It can’t point to the Saints committing more “dirty” hits than other teams due to the bounties. So apparently the players “played along” but didn’t openly try to injure opponents as Gregg Williams was recorded advocating.

Of course anytime a scandal like this became public, the NFL would have to respond to it. The negative PR in itself would require a very public response. But IMO the driving force behind the sanctions imposed is the law suits being brought by former NFL players who are alleging the NFL hid the affects of concussions from the players. The NFL can use the Saints scandal as evidence they quickly responded to an issue detrimental to the health of NFL players. ‘Soft-peddling’ it would have been used by the plaintiffs.

The only good part of Hargrove’s release is I don’t have to care about how ‘bountygate’ affects the Packers.

Good catch Jack. I forgot Hargrove was a DL. As far as Muir I remain of the opinion he is nothing special.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see how Goodell can even argue that Hargrove was treated fairly. Regradless of what the NFL says, he was hammered because they thought they had Hargrove on film saying "gimme my money." Even as late as the appeal "hearing" you had Goodell's attorney Mary Jo telling Goodell's hand selected reporters that you could "see" Hargrove saying those words.

It really goes to show how shoddy the NFL's investigation was. In fact, you can't see Hargrove saying that, and it would have been illogical for him to have said it as he was not in on the hit on Favre the play before.

do you view him as a "traitor" for signing that declaration?

lancer84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other team would have to pick him up for 8 games of inactivity and then we trade for him. The games don't count unless he's with a team.

The NFL allows players to serve suspensions while they’re not on a team, so Hargrove can sit out the first eight weeks of the season, then sign with some team and start playing once the season is halfway over. It seems unlikely that any team would sign Hargrove until he has served the suspension.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/24/packers-cut-anthony-hargrove/

That rule seems odd, you would think they would make them sit ONCE they got signed on to a team. Either way I'm glad that they released him, we have other areas to tend to. Plus, I'm not saying that he was doing so but I'd just rather not have the that kind of drama in GB.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I wished we would have kept him until week eight. I don't see a reason not to. Didn't count against the cap, or against the roster...

Maybe he was a poor influence on the team in the locker room? I am sure it was something...

Members online

Latest posts