1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Another trip to Kiln, Mississippi

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by carol k, Apr 15, 2008.

1. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We headed to Mississippi on Easter Sunday after a delicious dinner at our daughter's. We arrived at Kiln at the Broke Spoke on Monday about 7:30. Were we tired!!!!!!!!!!!! However, that didn't keep us from getting up early the next morning, and heading over to our job site. We pounded nails, muddied, made lunches, cleaned up, and my husband did some electical work. Again, the trip made me feel how lucky I am to have a roof over my head.

We ate a lot and drank a lot. Boy, is flavored moonshine ever good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have cinnamon flavored, watermelon flavored, coconut flavored, and of course, the good ol' regular kind. That stuff really warms your throat as it goes down.

I finally broke down and tasted crawfish. They are great. It's just that they look awful.

Most everyone left the Sat. after Easter Sunday, but we stayed an extra two days. We went to a wing fling in Pass Christian, and an Italian-Irish parade in a suburb of New Orleans. Arrived home on April Fool's Day.

Would love to go again and help out more people, but don't know if that opportunity will arise.

2. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Carol - That's so cool you're doing this.
    I have done nothing for Hurricane Katrina relief other than contribute financially and my hat's off to people who actually really do something real.

Now, that out of the way, love crawfish. One party I was at, I helped catch over 50 from the creek and some Cajun guy cooked them up. I think I ate about 10 of them that night. Never had moonshine though. Yeah, I'm a dang Yankee, I'll admit it. :(

3. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Carol.. I have to ask, how do you get involved in this type of donations, I have relatives (via marriage) and make it to MS a couple times a year.

I am thinking maybe next winter heading down and donating a couple of days worth of work for some folks down there.. I would pull my trailer with the tools in tow.. just not sure how to schedule it so that my time and effort are utilized properly...

Would you be so kind to PM me or post a person or agency to contact to get the ball rolling so to speak?

Thanks.

4. carol k

carol k Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We went with the Door County Katrina Relief Fund. It was started a couple of years ago by a couple of guys. We didn't really know about it until a year ago this past March. They have made 24 trips down there and are not thinking of not going down as often. One of the guys who has been down there all 24 times--and is one of the organizers of it--is just burned out.

I do know there is a Catholic church in Superior, WI, that goes down every so often to help out. They do most of their work in the Biloxi area.

I wonder if there would be anything on the internet regarding helping out these people.

Packer93z--if you have relatives there, maybe you can ask them to find out about the different organizations that might be helping.

If you go down in the winter, be sure to take along warm clothes. When we went in January, I took only summer clothes with me. What a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!