Another signing by TT could be on the way..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More defense, baby:
Wilkerson’s agent says visit with Packers went well

The agent for free-agent defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson said he has not yet started contract negotiations with the Packers, but that could happen soon.

Joby Branion, who represents the 6-foot-2 and 290-pound Wilkerson, said his client’s visit to Green Bay on Tuesday went well and believes there is interest from both sides.

“Nothing’s happened yet, but I imagine that could happen soon,” Branion said. “I know he was impressed with his visit.”

Wilkerson is an unrestricted free agent who played the last four seasons for the Kansas City Chiefs. He can play both defensive end and defensive tackle, which would fit well with the Packers’ defensive scheme because they like versatile defensive linemen.

Branion wouldn’t say what kind of contract Wilkerson is seeking but did say the Chiefs have expressed interest in re-signing him.

Reaction score
Another Lackluster signing by TT could be on the way..

I can't see him being a DT in GB.

Pickett is solid, Williams seems to be on the verge of becoming a good player, Cole is solid player, and I read on JSOnline that Kendrick Allen has expressed interest in resigning with the Packers. Throw in Jolly, and I'd think were pretty much set with a rotation at DT.

BTW - Can we leave the "Will TT sign him or not" stuff out of this thread, and rather focus on what possible role Wilky (yes, I already have a nickname for him) will play if he becomes a Packer. :)

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Another Lackluster signing by TT could be on the way..

Its a signing

but Not want we want cant TT work out what we need i live in the u.k and i can work it out
TE,RB

Reaction score

all about da packers said:
BTW - Can we leave the "Will TT sign him or not" stuff out of this thread, and rather focus on what possible role Wilky (yes, I already have a nickname for him) will play if he becomes a Packer. :)

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

lol, thats a perfect example of why i had fun with the title of the thread.

oh they make it so easy.

Reaction score

I am not sure what role he could fill for us at DE either.

He has 0.5 sacks in his 5 year career, so he is most likely a run stopping DE. We already have that on the roster in Jenkins.

Looks like he'd be a better fit at DT. That could mean Allen will not be back, or Cole will have competition for his spot next year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i know this is a crazy concept to a lot of people here, who either want pro bowlers or nobody, but there's a thing called depth.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

i know this is a crazy concept to a lot of people here, who either want pro bowlers or nobody, but there's a thing called depth.

Wholly crap the first post I agree with Trom on:)

Somehow I think we are going to get thinner on the DL, say minus KGB. We lack depth at DE.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably someone to come in and push Michael Montgomery and Jason Hunter at DE. I can't see him playing a lot of DT. I really like Jolley as someone who could break into the rotation this year and I also think the Pack are going to give Allen a chance. You can never have to many Defensive Lineman in my opinion though.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

exactly pack maybe this is a sign we might lose a d-line player. maybe wilky is excited about his visit cause he thinks he might have a chance to push for a starting job.

even if we dont lose anything... it provides us depth at a key position where players often get hurt and get tired.... last year we rotated constantly at defensive line... and any depth there is good to keep everyone fresh

but im not super excited cause i dont know a whole lot of him... maybe just depth and thats it.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Our defensive line has already been considered an area wher we have depth.
Could it be that a possibility of a trade is in the future?

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:

thats exactly what i was thinking. however, even if thats not the case, depth is good! more WR\Rb picks in the draft then!

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well at least now we signed I think two people in free agency, I am happy anyone that we get should help us, they infact know more of what they need then we do IMO...

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score

tromadz said:

But which person on the defensive line could we trade??? :-?

Maybe I should go look in the Moss threads. :rotflmao:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PRO BOWLERS???
Hmmmm........i wonder if Walter Ray Williams is available?? :thumbsup:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is rumored that the Raiders like both KGB and Corey Williams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Well at least now we signed I think two people in free agency, I am happy anyone that we get should help us, they infact know more of what they need then we do IMO...

We signed Wilkerson??

Pack93z

Reaction score

I think it might be insurance if they need to package a certain DE in a trade....
It is another rumor I heard from a friend and I can't find any trace of it on the net anyplace, but he lives in Virgina and heard that Redskins and Pack were taking trade for Betts involving KGB. Repeat I cannot for the life of me find anything on the net to collaborate it at all:) But what the heck it is the time of the year for wild rumors right.... and it doesn't involve MOSS:)

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kendrick Allen is UFA and I've read TT isn't big on re-signing him. Allen also has a couple of offers. This guy is likely to be DT cannon fodder. I also read somewhere that the coaching staff felt Montgomery took a step back last season.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the guy shows ANYTHING, sign him. Reason? DLs are in demand if they show talent. Since we seem to have a solid core now, if we can upgrade we will have another guy in a trade scheme. If KC would like to re-sign him, it means that he was cut for cap purposes probably, and he's not a complete slug. It's no wonder most guys in for interviews are impressed. The Packers spent a lot of money up-grading their facilities to top drawer.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers closed in on their second addition from the unrestricted free-agent ranks after a round of negotiations Friday with defensive lineman Jimmy Wilkerson of Kansas City. Wilkerson, a key reserve at end and tackle for the Chiefs throughout his four-year career, is weighing a return to Kansas City against a short-term contract offer from the Packers. Several other teams have expressed interest.

"For both teams, his value is his versatility," agent Joby Branion said. "He plays well and makes plays at both positions. He's at the cusp of getting a chance to really establish himself as a player. It will be an opportunity decision."

Wilkerson, 6 feet 3 inches and 292 pounds, has the bulk to play three-technique tackle and enough speed and quickness to play end.

In four seasons, Wilkerson started just three of 56 games. He has 86 tackles, one-half sack and 34 quarterback pressures, including 25 in 2005. He played 19% of the defensive snaps in both 2003 and '04, 46% in '05 and 27% in '06. He also played extensively on special teams.

His position coach from 2003-'05 was Carl Hairston, now the Packers' co-defensive line coach. He visited Green Bay on Tuesday.

"He obviously had a pre-existing relationship with Coach Hairston, which carried a lot of weight in leaving a positive impression on him," Branion said. "He has a great deal of respect for the Packers' tradition."

The Chiefs drafted the 26-year-old Wilkerson in the sixth round from Oklahoma. In three collegiate seasons, he made 24 starts and had 12 sacks. Then he entered the draft as a third-year junior.

Wilkerson ran 40 yards in 4.90 seconds at the combine, but improved to 4.79 in a campus workout. His vertical jump was 34½ inches. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 29 times.

The Packers' only free-agent signing has been cornerback Frank Walker.

Members online

Latest posts