Another released player... Donovin Darius

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I know some might say here we go again.. and some will point to the hit on Fergy... but it would give us another option in the unsettled safety positions on this team.

Although injuried.. sign him to a one year flyer...thoughts?

At least a fall back in camp?

Veteran Safety

By Vic Ketchman, jaguars.com senior editor
06/14/07

The youth movement at safety has officially begun, as the Jaguars informed Donovin Darius on Thursday morning that the team was releasing him. So ends the Jaguars career of the player who has started more games than any other defensive player in franchise history.

An influx of young talent at the safety position would seem to be at the root of Darius’ release. He’s coming off a season in which he sustained a broken leg in a week-11 game against the New York Giants. He missed 14 games in 2005 after suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his knee.

The Jaguars used their 2007 first-round draft choice on safety Reggie Nelson, then added safety Josh Gattis in round five. Third-year safety Gerald Sensabaugh is expected to step into a starting spot.

Darius had been sidelined during spring practices while he recovered from his broken leg.

Jaguars.com will update this story following Thursday morning’s practice.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Underwood, Rouse, and Culver...and the outside possibility that Manuel responds with a healthy and productive camp...our other safety opposite Collins is already on the roster.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to one of those that a Washington or Oakland would go after. They like the experienced guys that may have a couple years left.

I don't see the Packers giving the guys they have less of a chance to see what they can do by adding another guy to the mix at this point. Rotations at that position are going to be hard enough to come by.

It's going to be one hell of a battle at that spot for sure.

A perfect time for this would have been after Underwood went down last year. We could have used him in that spot for sure. Especially with Manuel coming off injury and getting no pre-season playing time.

A veteran right then would have been great.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, just cuz of the Fergie thing. He coulda ended(pretty much kinda did) Fergies career.

(It helps that we have a battle royale of competition at the SS position)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say bring him in...............only so that Fergie can put "itching powder" in his jock stap! :thumbsup:

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell yes. Bring him in, give him a small one-year, see if the boy can still ball. Seriously, as excited as I am about the Safety Battle (not the Safety Dance) I think that Darius could pump some big-time adrenaline into the battle.

Just my thought.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
why is his helmet in the air?
The D back clotheslined him and that tore off Fergie's helmet.
(He stuck his arm out, catching Fergie in the throat, which is illegal)
That knocked off his helmet.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
oh ok. You cant hit in the throat?
Nope. You can't stick your arm out and catch a guy in the throat. They outlawed that several years ago.
It can cause SERIOUS injuries.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazingly, Fergie held on to the ball. Am I correct?
Yes, he did hold on. It was a vicious uncalled for hit. I have NO respect for a player that would do a cheap shot like that. I mean, it's one thing to punch a guy in the nutz when you are in a pile, that won't do permanent damage. But when you go after a guys neck just because he beat you, thats WAY over the top in my view.

Latest posts