Another Lombardi story.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This one was shared by David Maraniss in "When Pride Still Mattered"

Lombardi loved Paul Hornung, and some think that secretly, Vince would have loved the chance to pal around with Hornung and McGee and some of the other young Packers during their glory years. But Vince always worried about his "wild son" just like parents always do.

The scene is the Lombardi bedroom, well past midnight. The phone rings...
Vince: "Don't answer that, Paul's in trouble!"
Marie: "Did you ever think it could possibly be one of your own kids?"
Vince: "Oh...."

Even awakened out of a dead sleep, the "golden boy" was always on Lombardi's mind.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Just watching the Lombardi HBO documentary. Pretty amazing along with the book "when pride still mattered!"

I dreamt about Lombardi all night.

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
I watched the same HBO special with my wife this last weekend. I'm glad he stayed with Green Bay and didn't go to the New York Giants. It is sad that he died so young. He still had a lot to offer the world and the game of football. I have a playbook in my coaching library that explains the 'Lombardi Sweep' down to the smallest detail. It sits right next to my '85 Bears 46-Defensive playbook. In my opinion, two of the best playbooks I own.

~Val

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
The part in the documentary where Madden tells about how Lombardi lectured on the Packer Sweep for 8 hours was interesting.

"I thought I went in there knowing everything, I left thinking I knew nothing" (to paraphrase) Madden.

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
best part of the doc was when they told the story of Lombardi picking up the Giants owner for dinner, then at the end, said "tomorrow, we are going to beat you."

He then got up and left, leaving Mara (?) sitting in the restaurant without a ride home.

Members online

Latest posts