Another brilliant game from Aaron Rodgers as Packers beat Rams

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers is the reigning NFL MVP for a reason. In case you had forgotten during an up-and-down start to the Packers’ season, Rodgers is really, really good. On the strength of another phenomenal game from Rodgers, the Packers went to St. Louis and beat the Rams on Sunday, improving to 4-3 and making a…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

H

HardRightEdge

I refused to engage in the "Rodgers is the problem" discussion a few weeks back. The premise was absurd on it's face.

IamAthimble

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. I knew he would make this kind of turnaround. And honestly, he didn't even need to improve this much to be considered still MVP worthy. Even before the two wins, he had above average numbers. Some fans are so spoiled that if he doesn't absolutely destroy everyone, he is suddenly on a downward spiral.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I was watching, I realized that Rodgers is the best in the NFL.
And that is not an overstatement.
And I was thinking of how he makes not just awesome throws with pin-point accuracy but also very smart ones. Something the previous starting QB didn't always do.
But Rodgers, man. There is just something very special about him and I am so impressed not only with his plays but also just so freakin grateful that all the other teams ignored him in the draft.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Of course Rodgers was never THE problem but IMO he was part of the problem early this season along with the rest of the offense: The OL has been erratic, the receivers were guilty of some drops but Rodgers was not his pinpoint-accurate self either. He missed more open receivers downfield than normal for him IMO and hung onto the ball too often - again even for the "INT avoider" (which I greatly appreciate) that Rodgers is. IOW I think the entire offense shares in the responsibility for the offense's slow start and that includes the QB. But here's another important reason for the slow start IMO: The defenses they played early.

An old sports saying is 'their guys are on scholarship too': Translated to the NFL it means the other guys are getting paid too. Here are some defensive per game stats from nfl.com before tonight's game. The 49ers are second in points and first in yards surrendered. The Bears are first in points and fourth in yards surrendered. The Seahawks are third in points and sixth in yards surrendered. Yes, the season isn't even half over but as of today the Packers played the top three teams in points surrendered in their first three games. And of course, they played well enough to be 2-1 in those games.

They beat the Saints - #29 in points and #32 in yards surrendered. And laid an egg against a bad Colts team #23 and #16. Rodgers' and the passing offense's production against the Texans and Rams is even more impressive considering the former is #5 in points and #3 in yards surrendered while the latter is #10 in the league in both. (BTW the Packers D is #13 in points and #14 in yards)

Another factor IMO is even though the regular refs still make mistakes, their return means the Packers no-huddle hurry-up O can be fully implemented and that increased tempo allows them to take better advantage of the Ds.

But IMO Rodgers himself being back to his 2011 self is a factor in addition to the other factors listed. After his 80%+ completion percentage yesterday and 3TDs, Rodgers is 54 of 74 (73%) for 680 yards, with nine touchdowns and no interceptions over the last two games!! And as I mentioned above, both of those Ds are in the top 10 in the points and yards surrendered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts