Annual Football Magazines

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I picked up Pro Football Weekly annual football preview issue. They used to be July 1 when they would come out. They should have waited. They have Edinger with Bears and write up on what a great year Ontario Smith should have for the Vikings. No mention of walker hold out.

They have the Eagles and Vikings being the top NFC clubs with 12-4 records. Seahawks third going 10-6 and Falcons going 9-7.

Rams and Panthers will be the wild card teams at 9-7.

In NFC north they predict the Lions coming in second with 8-8 record and the Packers third in the division also with an 8-8 prediction.

They are extremely critical of every aspect of the Packer Defense.
I also picked up Athlon Sports. Again I don't know who did the write up but their take is an interesting conflict in timelines. Ted Thompson doing what he can for the long term value of the team and Mike Sherman in the last year of contract and limited time with Brett Favre as QB wanting to win now.

They have the Packers making the playoffs as a wild card behind the Vikings. Eagles, Falcons, and Seahawks, win their divisions and the Panthers are the other wild card team. Again Eagles and Falcons in championship game and Ravens winning Superbowl over Eagles.

Unlike Mel Kiper and others they revisited what they said about last year's team and quote what they think they got right and wrong about 2004.

Right- "Linebacker is no longer much of a concern but the secondary certainly is."

Wrong- "This isn't a stable of receivers built for those more concerned with fantasy stats rather than NFC North reality."

Their final analysis:
"In an era of parity the Packers have defied the odds longer than anybody, with 13 consecutive non-losing seasons and a league high 10 playoff berths since 1993. They did go 9-2 over the last 11 games of 2004, and the defense can't get any worse (can it?), so there is room for some optimism this year. Still, the Packers have enjoyed little postseason success since back to back Superbowl appearances in 1996 and 97, and Favre's window of opportunity is shrinking. As the rest of the division made moves over the offseason that made each team better(on paper at least) even the most diehard cheesehead would have a hard time claiming the Packers will be improved in 2005."

Ryan, I hope I did not get you or the site in trouble with these quotes.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree leopard. "The experts" thought Tony Mandrich, Andre Ware, and Tim Couch were no-brainers. "The experts" thought the Seahawks and 'Boys would thrive, and the Steelers and Chargers would flop last season. "The experts" never had any idea where players like Donald Driver or Terrel Davis came from. "The experts" never saw the plethora of injuries coming the Panther's way last year....

Most predictions are based on paper, which can never account for the myriad x-factors that can/will/do arrise during a season. Mind you, they're fun to read, but Captain Obvious says they aren't all that reliable

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unlike Mel Kiper and others they revisited what they said about last year's team and quote what they think they got right and wrong about 2004.
Hmmm - Mel Kyper ADMITTING he got something wrong.....

ne ne - ne ne - ne ne - ne ne --- it's the Twilight Zone!
Let me hurry up and wait on that one - ya right!
Sorry guys - I DO NOT like Mel Kyper - he's consistently FULL of Himself.
Say what ya like - but he can go flip burgers for all I care!
Right along with Tom Jackson & Chris Berman.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion. These magazines that come out months before the season even starts are worthless and usually cater to the local crowd. Don't waste your time on reading them unless you want to go back later and see just how wrong they really were.

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, the West Coast covers each have Randy Moss in Raider uniform on their covers.

He was on the cover of SI a few weeks ago too. Now I read where his #18 Raider jersey is the #1 seller in the NFL. What is this world coming too?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts