Announcers you hate, particularly as a Packers fan, past and present

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To those who submit that Aikman and Buck are somehow anti-Packer, could you please submit actual utterances that demonstrates this? Thanks.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To those who submit that Aikman and Buck are somehow anti-Packer, could you please submit actual utterances that demonstrates this? Thanks.
Besides, they are just really boring and dull. No excitement ever from either one.

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides, they are just really boring and dull. No excitement ever from either one.

Ok, that is an entirely different complaint. The typical complain is that these two are somehow anti-Packers. I am not buying it, and i would like actual textual evidence demonstrating this.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

That is like asking for proof that someone farted. The stink is there momentarily and the wind blows it away.

Understand that YOU asked in your first post for announcers that people hate. Hate is not a rational emotion ... therefore, you asking for a 'rationale' for something that is irrational, is ... well... irrational in of of itself.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Today, in my opinion only, Jon Gruden is just ... well, tedious. The guy just LOVES everyone. That's great if you're a Sunday School teacher, but loving EVERYONE is a hard scorecard to live up to.
Thanks for the laugh!

I agree the Packers got the bottom of the barrel announcers before their return to relevance but that’s the way it should be – they earned those crappy announcers. BTW, I’m with weeds regarding being immune to many of the announcers.

There used to be a big difference between TV and radio announcers. Back in the “olden days”, TV announcers assumed they were being listened to by people actually watching TV. Ray Scott’s typical TD call: Starr… Dowler … touchdown! OK, it wasn’t always that sparse, but you get the idea. Now as the attention span of their audiences shrink to single digit seconds, TV producers/directors dread periods of silence longer than our attention span like the plague. So the announcers are compelled to fill the airways with the sound of their voices and a lot of stupid **** gets said as a result. And while there probably is nearly universal agreement about how bad announcers can be, consider some of the stupid **** written on forums like this one. And those things are written by people under no time pressure or compulsion to write anything. My point is it's harder than it looks. Still I prefer more dead air. Let the pictures do more of the talking and have the color commentator only chime in when he actually has something to say.

With regard to Larrivee and McCarren: I liked Jim Irvin and loved Max McGee’s stories, but IMO Irvin was not very good technically calling the play-by-play. For example, he frequently neglected to report down and distance and who made the tackle. And on a couple of occasions Max had to be reminded where he was. So I was happy Larrivee took over the play-by-play. He’s very good technically and as I said I appreciate McCarren’s insights. But weeds, if you think Wayne is overly exuberant on an boring play, Larry screaming in the background of a big play must drive you nuts!

OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is like asking for proof that someone farted. The stink is there momentarily and the wind blows it away.

Understand that YOU asked in your first post for announcers that people hate. Hate is not a rational emotion ... therefore, you asking for a 'rationale' for something that is irrational, is ... well... irrational in of of itself.

No it's buttressing your position with actual textual evidence.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mind Aikman, but Buck is horrible, and I think at times he takes Troy with him. Collinsworth comes across as the knowitall that probably couldn't tell the difference between an I formation and a Wing T. I'll also ask a question here, am I the only one who likes Siragusa for a 'sideline' reporter.
He may be the best there is but nobody will know because while that may be why he is there, it is not what "we" are told we want. Any of these will get more screen time and attention: http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/12/the-25-hottest-sideline-reporters-right-now/alex-curry

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
With regard to Larrivee and McCarren: I liked Jim Irvin and loved Max McGee’s stories, but IMO Irvin was not very good technically calling the play-by-play. For example, he frequently neglected to report down and distance and who made the tackle. And on a couple of occasions Max had to be reminded where he was. So I was happy Larrivee took over the play-by-play. He’s very good technically and as I said I appreciate McCarren’s insights. But weeds, if you think Wayne is overly exuberant on an boring play, Larry screaming in the background of a big play must drive you nuts!

I didn't mean overly exuberant as far as Larrivee goes on a run-of-the-mill play ... I meant that sometimes he just kicks in far too much info in a short span, which leads me to believe that something big is happening -- and then, and THEN -- it's a "hard one yard gain". As for Larry, yeah, he's an excitable guy to be sure.

I only bring it up because sometimes I'll leave the comfort of the family and the big screen to step out to the garage to knock down a cigar or something...while I'm out there, I'll have the stereo in the garage on - I took the cable out when I resided the garage and never put it back in ... anyway, this is when I hear Wayne going into his cadence and am angry at myself momentarily for missing a big play to knock down a smoke.

Larry and Wayne are good in my book. I like McCarren's view from an offensive lineman's point, you know?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only announcers I actually enjoy listening to are Larry McCarren and Wayne Larrivee. All of the network Sunday duos are god awful. I like Gruden but I despise Mike Tirico. The Thursday night crew makes me wish I could turn the volume down on the commentary specifically like in the Madden games.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No it's buttressing your position with actual textual evidence.
Here is the thing. Those of us who have heard anti-Packers statements from Suck or Acheman may not be able to find it. The web is limited by what others put on here.
For example, let's say I want to watch Aaron Rodgers 3 yard basic 2nd touchdown pass in a reg. season game against the Titans.
Chances of me finding it online are a lot less than finding a game saver or a playoff or a bigger one that really mattered.
We may not be able to give you the proof you want. If you really want to satisfy your curiosity then you could do your own search.
Otherwise just listen very closely to them next time they call a Packers game.
BTW: I did try a search for what you asked for. Just because I couldn't find it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. It just means that no one has uploaded what you want or it's really hard to find.
This is what I have come up with though. Others who agree with a bias against the Packers by Suck and Acheman.

https://www.facebook.com/Aikmansux

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25057-Troy-Aikman-Packer-Hater

Last edited:
OP
OP
E. Wolf

E. Wolf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the thing. Those of us who have heard anti-Packers statements from Suck or Acheman may not be able to find it. The web is limited by what others put on here.
For example, let's say I want to watch Aaron Rodgers 3 yard basic 2nd touchdown pass in a reg. season game against the Titans.
Chances of me finding it online are a lot less than finding a game saver or a playoff or a bigger one that really mattered.
We may not be able to give you the proof you want. If you really want to satisfy your curiosity then you could do your own search.
Otherwise just listen very closely to them next time they call a Packers game.
BTW: I did try a search for what you asked for. Just because I couldn't find it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. It just means that no one has uploaded what you want or it's really hard to find.
This is what I have come up with though. Others who agree with a bias against the Packers by Suck and Acheman.

I will check out those links, I just don't see it. Recall the announcing for that playoff game in Atlanta or the Super Bowl--they were very complimentary to our Packers in those instances. If anyone can cite specifics, I would love to understand this point of view better because it seems to be so prevalent.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You will be hard pressed to find actual audio or video clips of the puppet joe buck or the brain dead troy aikmen saying things about the packers. They are critical and joe buck just auto agrees with what aikmen says. You wont find the clips because those two are essentially insignificant in the NFL world. The reason so many people say they dont like them for the anti packer reason is just because of their sly comments. Just listen more carefully next time, you will hear it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The notion to provide evidence to prove an opinion is hard to do.

There are certain people I do not like and there is no reason for me to. Just an opinion of mine.

Same thing here. We don't really need proof we hate an announcer.

It is not like saying, QB Joe Blow is most accurate qb of all time, and have the stats prove wrong

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will check out those links, I just don't see it. Recall the announcing for that playoff game in Atlanta or the Super Bowl--they were very complimentary to our Packers in those instances. If anyone can cite specifics, I would love to understand this point of view better because it seems to be so prevalent.
How have you been a fan since 89 and not seen a Aikman/Buck called Packer game? Aikman is pretty condescending during the regular season games they call for us.

Members online

Latest posts