1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Andersen the best kicker in NFL hstory

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Lynch, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Game 6 of the Series is the first I remember, Kirby went I think 4 for 4 that game and Baylor hit a huge homer in that game. I was hurt on 10-15-87, hit a truck head on riding an ATV. I didn't get out of the hospital until the week before Hunting season or Turkey day:) Didn't walk again until about March of 88'. Don't remember the exact dates anymore.

Anywho.. ancient history... great series though.

2. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That was a great game. Kirby hitting that homerun to win it. That grab he made, awesome game.

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow......head on with a truck against an ATV? NOT good odds. I'm glad you are still with us!
    Were you on a road or a trail? (You don't have to answer if you don't want to, i was just wondering)

4. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Reminds me of what I say to most Packer fans. Did you run into a truck head on or were you just born ugly? :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

5. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Ask away... no problems here. I was on a trail/ logging road, the loggers were using it as well. In this part of the state the logging roads are like rural roads... he was doing about 45 and I was doing about (police estimate) 35 to 40. The passenger with me was thrown and hit a tree and I went under the truck. Totaled the truck, myself and the ATV!

The pictures of the truck you can see where my shoulders pushed the hood of the truck back. I was saved they figure because I managed to get the wheeler at about a 45 degree angle so most of the impact was taken in my leg, midsection and shoulders. During those days I worked out constantly for ball, the doctor stated to my parents that I had the strongest and thickest abdomen muscles he had ever seen on a young adult (15). Bleeding all over the place and mostly internal. Weird part is I shattered my shoulder blade but neither my upper part of the arm nor collar bone snapped.

When I got to the local hospital Dad said they had 4 pints of blood running into me and they couldn't get the blood warm before it got into my body. So my body was jumping on the stretcher a couple of inches. Needless to say I was in pretty bad shape they day. Spent over 20 hours in surgery for the various issues. Total count of broken bones was 83. Lost some of the small and larger intenstines, splen, appedix and sqwashed 3 vertebra together (shrank almost a inch and a quarter since the accident).

The other people riding that day were smaller people and probably won't have made it, so I was glad God choose me because I was able to survive. Other than some pain daily and not being able to run, I can pretty much do whatever else I want. Others might not have been so lucky.

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow.......i can't imagine going through that. Do you have a clear memory of the accident? Were you conscious?
    Talk about a few seconds changing your life forever!

7. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    I remember bits and pieces... I remember being under the truck and seeing daylight, I reached to grap for something to pull myself out and I grabbed the manifold pipes and burnt the skin on my hands pretty bad. I remember trying to get up and kept falling back down until someone held me down and I was pissed.

But for the most part... no, other thant the accident scene I don't remember anything for about 9 days. First thing I remember is waking up and looking at my left index finger, they had the knuckle pinned open so it could clean itself out (gravel and dirt)... I could bend my finger and watch the muscles move. I guess I came to when they were cleaning it out and had it unwrapped. And the World series was on and I knew something was wrong.. because last thing I knew the ALCS was going.

Then the reality of the situation came to when my parents came in and the team of doctors to check me out. Grrrr.. I really have this dislike for hospitals and doctor's :)

Worst part about the stay was my stomach and intestines were in such bad shape that I couldn't eat or drink anything for weeks. Hospitals are so dry and all I could do it wet my mouth with a sponge for about 3 weeks. Not happy was I.

8. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I am glad you made it through Pack93z. Someday I will tell you about what happened to me that fall. sounds like we had similar type injuries.

9. Pack93z

Ratings:
    +22
    Anytime... I might have you beat... missing an appendage today :)

10. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was unconscious for about as long as you. Of course they had me on morphine so that might have had alot to do with the unconsciousness. But after I came too they would not let me out of bed for over two weeks because of the internal bleeding and the celebral hemmoraging. The only body part I lost was my spleen. They had me in a donor hospital in Innsbruck waiting to donate my organs after I died.

11. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    wow you guys.......this is more like a MASH unit!!!I'm glad you both are still here!

12. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cheesey, glad to be here. The worst part of it was since it happened it Italy the Red Cross called my mother and told her I would not live through the night. They told her that two nights in a row.

13. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! I have no idea what a spleen is or what it does, or if it's important or not. However, glad you're not dead. I've always enjoyed your posts. :)

14. vike4life

vike4life Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Zombie, I enjoy this site.

Oh I forgot the very worst part. I had to miss the Oktoberfest. :rotflmao: