1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

And we all thought Mike Sherman was conservative...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by TOPackerFan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! New Mike sure played not to lose this game. Not sure why he didn't let his one playmaker try to win the game for him. Only 5 passes in the first half is shocking to me.

2. Leelee

Leelee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's all about the concern of the O-line breaking down. Brett even said that in his news conference. The old establish the run so maybe Chicago will forget we can't take a pass rush let alone a blitz. They did establish the run, but a few screens earlier would have helped. Conservative is one thing - afraid to throw is another.

3. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    the packers could pass protect if their were 4 5"tall ditka clones rushing us...brett couldn't set his feet all day...at least the run game was moderately successful

4. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought MM was outcoached. That said, he needed to play somewhat conservatively to avoid putting his young team in a position where they could not succeed. Once Chicago got a lead and saw the Packers were unable to effectively move the ball, they were able to extensively utilize the cover 2 making it more difficult to throw and supposedly making it easier to run. I sure he stuck to running becasue of this, but it obviously did not work.

As I said, McCarthy was outcoached in his 1st game and hopefully him and his staff learns from this experience and grows quuickly.

5. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I actually liked the strategy coming out but it seemed obvious MM couldn't change strategy in the middle of the game. I was hoping they played patient but I didn't expect our D to let the impotent Bears score that early so that's where I think he should of changed course but never seemed to be willing to take a risk. Oh well maybe New Orleans will be a better game

6. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he called a fake punt in the first half, thats not conservative!

7. TOPackerFan

TOPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough, but including the fake punt, there were only 6 passes attempted in the first half (interesting considering Favre is the one playmaker left on this team).

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Beat me to that one, that shocked the crap outta me. And... it actually WORKED.

9. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Favre threw over 50 passes in each Bear game last season, and the Packers lost both of them, with late-game interceptions being key plays. I thought it was sound strategy to emphasize the run in this game. Unfortunately, at this point we just don't have the horses to get it done either way against a defense like that.

10. rundemc

rundemc Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    when u march out 2 tight ends a fullback and only one wide receiver everyone knows your running and with that line you arent running on anyone with 8 or 9 guys in the box whether your playing the bears or the badgers

11. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I know too little about the Xs and Os to judge the strategy, but I wonder why every team in the league seems to know everything we're trying to do before we do it. Is it the formations, or the players we choose to be in at that moment, or something else? I do know that often I can tell when a pass play is coming by looking at the stances of the OL. It's easy to see that some are leaning back in their stances getting ready to fall back and pass block. If I can see it.....