and now the Eagles

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O.K. So we got one in the books...that is, a win. Now we have to go to the F'ng Vet where we have not had much luck. This can be a very pivotable game for GB, not much for the Eagles. If the Eagles win...well..they're supposed to. I'm sure they'll be favored by 7.5+. If GB wins this one, people will be talking about the rise of GB at 2-2 (or how overrated the Eagles are!). With Kearse out for the year and their secondary a bit shaky we could sneak by. The Eagles may be looking ahead since week 5 they take on their main rival the Cowboys. I feel we can keep Westbrook in check running the ball. The area of concern for me is the check down passes to westbrook, and McNabb's scrambles to get the first down. If our LB's can play disiplined D, we can keep the game from getting out of hand. I don't know if we can run agianst this group very successfully but I know we can pass against them like the Lions. After all the Lions were playing the Tampa 2 like the eagles will. The 49er's were successful with the **** and dunk pass but also had some decent runs. I think Hawk will play a major role in keeping Mcnabb honest. No matter what this will be a tough game.
Go Pack go.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post, cali. I was thinking the same thing about A.J. Hawk. He could help prevent long scrambles by McNabb. Barnett and Poppinga also have the speed to get after McNabb.

I'm not sure how good the Eagles are yet. They're 2-1, but they collapsed against the Giants. This is a winnable game for the Packers. And they could refurbish their national image somewhat with a good showing on a Monday night game. (Then again, I thought they would make a good showing in that Monday-nighter in the preseason against the Bengals.)

Philadelphia has been an absolute house of horrors for the Pack these last few years. I'm already bracing myself for an entire week of 4th and 26th references.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This seems like a tough one with the Eagles, Green Bay never have any luck against them. Well if Brett Favre throws like he did against Detroit (thats NO interceptions) and maybe if Ahman Green can go for more than 2 or 3 yards I think the Pack can see the endzone and Beat the Eagles. But I havent seen much of the Eagles so I dont know what they can do. Its good that Kearse is out, he is one hell of a D-Lineman. Well Donovan is a fine quarterback with a strong arm and can scramble if he has to (he is not scramble-happy like Michael Vick) Their receiving game isn't the greatest so this year I think that maybe the Packers defense will see Brian Westbrook and he only got 600 some yards last year but he is fast and very talented. I say Green Bay wins it 24-21.

(P.S No I dont think it will be a game winning Field Goal Rayner hasn't proved he is good under a whole lot of pressure)

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Right now I say Eagles win 27-24.

They're just better than we are ATM.

I might change my mind later in the week though

I agree Eagles are better, I think Green Bay cna pull this one out of their ***, because come on they have to beat them sometime

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung said:
I agree Eagles are better, I think Green Bay cna pull this one out of their ***, because come on they have to beat them sometime

That's true.

The Eagles now are like what the Cowboys were in the 90s.

Why don't they ever come to Lambeau? Do we have to win there first?

Dawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay better play a hell of a game if they want to beat the birds...the Eagles are the number one offense in the NFL...Donovan is playing superb...the only weakness on this team is the secondary because of injuries...Should be a good game but the eagles should win this one.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
Why don't they ever come to Lambeau? Do we have to win there first?

They did come to Lambeau a few years ago on a Monday night and beat the Packers in the rain. It was a gut-wrenching come-from-ahead loss by the Packers.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
calicheesehead said:
O.K. So we got one in the books...that is, a win. Now we have to go to the F'ng Vet where we have not had much luck. This can be a very pivotable game for GB, not much for the Eagles. If the Eagles win...well..they're supposed to. I'm sure they'll be favored by 7.5+. If GB wins this one, people will be talking about the rise of GB at 2-2 (or how overrated the Eagles are!). With Kearse out for the year and their secondary a bit shaky we could sneak by. The Eagles may be looking ahead since week 5 they take on their main rival the Cowboys. I feel we can keep Westbrook in check running the ball. The area of concern for me is the check down passes to westbrook, and McNabb's scrambles to get the first down. If our LB's can play disiplined D, we can keep the game from getting out of hand. I don't know if we can run agianst this group very successfully but I know we can pass against them like the Lions. After all the Lions were playing the Tampa 2 like the eagles will. The 49er's were successful with the **** and dunk pass but also had some decent runs. I think Hawk will play a major role in keeping Mcnabb honest. No matter what this will be a tough game.
Go Pack go.

Good post. I'll add my dos centavos...

Yes, Hawk, and Barnett, will have to play strong roles in covering Westbrook and keeping McNabb's scrambling abilities in check.

I see it this way though. Our D is lousy. Theirs is mediocre. Their offense is really good. Our QB is Favre, but our OL just isn't opening the holes for Green.

Let's face it, Green is the type of running back that needs holes. If he has holes, he's the best in the league. Remember '03 anyone? That's Green's strength.

So let's play to our strengths. Pass first like we did at Detroit. Use Green in screens. Green's wonderful at screens, always has been, except against the Saints where he kept dropping the ball. Let's dismiss that game as a fluke.

We're going to need some turnovers on defense. Our D isn't that good. So what will we need to do? Well, for one, if we give McNabb time, he'll kill us. We can't give him time.

We can win this game. yes, the Eagles are a better team, but we can still win this game. We'll just need to force some turnovers and Favre will have to have a game like he did against Detroit. Like I said, the Eagles defense is average. It's not a top notch defense. If done right, I could see Favre outdueling McNabb and us winning a 35-28 game.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its any ones game but like some of you said who ever makes the least mistakes will win. if the eagles make mistakes we have to make something out of the mistakes. we need to score points.

the eagles are the better team.

i think in oder to win this game we need to have a decent running game. if we are ahead we have to run the ball so we can run the clock out.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Containing McNabb will be huge in this game, he is not only playing very well right now but "may" have a little something extra to prove this game after the Brett comparison that was made last year !!! I don't know about the rest of the Eagles but McNabb will not be overlooking us this game.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
[quote="Yared-Yam":3luie4ew]Why don't they ever come to Lambeau? Do we have to win there first?

They did come to Lambeau a few years ago on a Monday night and beat the Packers in the rain. It was a gut-wrenching come-from-ahead loss by the Packers.[/quote:3luie4ew]

LOL. Ive never heard the term "come-from-ahead loss" before. Pretty good. I will tell all my friends that one. Oh i forgot, u guys are my only friends.

If we can not fumble AT ALL and we can stop the big plays of 50 plus yards on defense. I think we can keep it very close. And with #4 in a close game in the 4th quarter, we at least have a chance. But if we get down by like 14 points early, the pressure on Favre will be too much against this defense which is very good. We will have alot of turnovers and get blown out. The key is our defense not having blown coverages and wraping up the ball carrier.

They had so much success vs us because we cover well for 5 seconds and then Donovan breaks down the defense and dumps off to Westbrook and others to keep drives alive. Back breakers, then they go down the field and score. Hopefully AJ can help stop some of that.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay shouldn't win this game, but ... well, you know, Robinson has yet to ... and, well, Jennings has shown ... and that might leave Driver in a situation where ... and, of course, Bubba in that fullback role could ... and Green runs the screen as good as any ... and that no-huddle scheme is beginning to ...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vixtalkn said:
Green Bay shouldn't win this game, but ... well, you know, Robinson has yet to ... and, well, Jennings has shown ... and that might leave Driver in a situation where ... and, of course, Bubba in that fullback role could ... and Green runs the screen as good as any ... and that no-huddle scheme is beginning to ...

You've made it crystal clear, vix: The Packers are DEFINITELY going to beat the Eagles. It's like money in the bank. I'm already on my way to Vegas.

OP
OP
C

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey the Falcons were supposed to crush the Saints last night, and on a nuetral field they would have. The Saints were just playing out of their skulls last night with City-wide emotion. Hell even the refs weren't going to toss a flag at them! For us to win this one, we'll have to be playing to top level of every player on this team. But if we get up on them and then play sloppy D, the Eagles will come back. If we pull this off I will definitely take my hat off to Pack, as they will have validated themselves as a decent team.
Go Pack go.

Swamper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm worried for the Pack. Our defense is weak and the Eagle offense is strong. We've been allowing too many points.

I think AJ is still a little young to be counted on for some real magic against such a strong O-Line.

If we are to win it will be because our defense will keep points off the board.

I think our O is getting better and Farve has the tools needed to score points. Especially against the Eagles D.

This game will be about holding the Eagles back. We'll need to do it on their turf.

Also, Farve doesn't have the best record in a dome. Hopefully it won't matter. We really have to stop them more than score on them.

My .02

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Cali.

Your thoughts on the opening line are a little off... The Eagles are 11 point favorites. ELEVEN?

There is a great deal to say about the confidence that comes from winning and the packers will have that. Like all NFL games this game should come down to turnovers. I would love to see the D step up but I am not so sure they can "JUST YET"

I missed last weeks game as I was in the bush but it sure was a pleasure looking at the results on the scoreboard.

I like the Packers plus 11 points. I like it alot.

Swamper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Opps! I thought Philly was a dome. Sorry.

My main point is if our D can step it up we have a shot at victory.

Okay Pack, let's not give any turnovers! :D

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Brett Favre NO Intercpetions
2. Ahman Green hold on to the football
3. Defense Backs make Interceptions
4. Defensive Line Hurry them or STOP them
5. Offensive Line Keep on blocking

If the Pack can do that than hey I think they sure should win

furferret2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Get ready for those eagle fan jagoffs to appear.
Can't we just be friends?

Honestly, I think this game, on the national stage, will show what the Packers are made of. Be prepared for everyone and thier mother to ask for Aaron Rodgers if Favre plays lousy.

Since you all know about the Packers... here's my notes on this year's Eagles, we can exchange info, learn, and discuss.

Be prepared to face a tough defensive line, regardless of Kearses' injury. The Eagles rotate, that's right ROTATE the entire line. Not as much in the San Fran game (becuase Kearse was out), but in the first 2 games, they would take the 4 starters out and put the 4 backups in. They still did damage to opposing offenses. Darren Howard is a good power/speed blend, and both Patterson and Walker are solid bodies in the middle. Juqua Thomas is the backup LE, which was Kearses' spot, but our best backup D-lineman is Trent Cole, who has a spot at the RE. Seeing which one gets more snaps at the left will be interesting.

The linebacking group has been one of the best groups the Eagles have seen in years. The Eagles have not been notorious for having a solid group, but this year is promising. Matt McCoy is known as being hard-nosed and aggressive, and in the preseason he let it get to his head and he would get stupid penalties, but he is now more disciplined. Dhani Jones is the famous dissapearing act, not a playmaker or a liability. He does his job, but nothing more. Still a solid player. The we move on to Jeremiah Trotter. I read somehwhere that he had the best tackle/missed tackle ratio and rips off a higher percentage of blocks to make a tackle than any other LB. There were other stats and basically the point is, he is one of the best run stoppers, hands down. In coverage, he is a major liability, so our nickel and 3rd and long packages feature Shawn Barber.

Defensive backs is a question. Michael Lewis has made a few mistakes in coverage and "shut down Sheldon Brown" isn't playing "shut down" type football. Last year, he was a monster corner for stopping plays, but wasn't the playmaker guy that you see on sports center. I mean, this guy used to let nothing by, and he's been just doing an above average job. If Lito Sheppard and Hood are both suffering from nagging injuries. No comment on Sheppard's play this year, becuase he didn't even finish the first drive of the season. If he is a go, we don't know what to expect. Rod Hood played hurt last week, and he has the ability (when healthy) to be a starter on probably around 20 to 25 other teams in the NFL. Hanson is crap. He's our #4 corner and if he's a starter, the Eagles D has a HUGE hole.

Well there's our defense. I'll post about our offense in a little.

Members online

Latest posts