Analysts predicting us to SB and media hype

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schein: Packers SB bound? - FOX Sports Video on MSN

Adam Schein from FoxSports goes as far as predicting we'll represent the NFC in the Super Bowl, GUARANTEEING it.

And here's an article on preseason hype, or media hype altogether: Newsflash: Green Bay Packers Annointed as Super Bowl Champs | Jersey Al's Packers Blog

I usually would agree with him, but I think, because we went through it last year, and also the Favre drama, our players developed a thick skin, if you will, so that distractions won't affect us.

What say you?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say... the hell with all this coverage on the Packers! Is No. 4 coming back??? ;)

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say its about time people give the Pack some credit!

All joking aside I think you are exactly right... Distractions are mostly gone and the players have gone through hell and back. Probably have a chip on their shoulder after their first round exit as well. By far one of the most dangerous teams in the league.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
As much as I love hearing this, i want it to be in the past when said. We have seen way to many stupid mistakes near the end or at the end of the game to be guaranteed the super bowl. At least in the last decade we lost it in the most crucial moments in the worst ways.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
It's to be expected. Young team that's only going to get better and now has some playoff experience, they're going to be the hot Super Bowl pick.

My only worry is that teams rarely live up to that hype.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I love hearing this, i want it to be in the past when said. We have seen way to many stupid mistakes near the end or at the end of the game to be guaranteed the super bowl. At least in the last decade we lost it in the most crucial moments in the worst ways.

Could not agree more. In some instances mistakes through out the whole game. We seem to just loose focus toward the end.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly! I just want everyone to shut their mouths. (media) I would like to hear them in February saying "I just knew the Packers were going to win the Superbowl" "I also knew that the Packers were going to sweep the Vikings this year and sack Favre for a total of 9 times in those two regular season games causing Favre to throw 5 interceptions and fumble the ball away twice in each of those games" :smile2:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on a few things.

#1- Injuries
#2- Luck
#3- Refs calls
#4- Other teams
#5- Our pass defense/pass rush

The #4 point is important to consider. Everyone thinks that cuz we have a lot of young guys, that we're just going to magically leap over the Vikings and Saints now. Those teams aren't older than we are in important positions. Well yes Favre is old, but he's gotten better not worse (sucks). His WRs are young. Adrian Peterson is young.

Jared Allen isn't showing old age, etc......

The Saints and Brees, Reggie, Pierre Thomas, Colston, etc... they're not about to hit the wall. Plus you have other teams getting better too. The 49ers could legitimately be a team that takes 2 big steps forward this year. The Falcons figure to bounce back.

And our pass defense.... it cracks me up to hear threads about our DBs being the best in the NFL. All I know is Kurt Warner, Ben Roethlisberger, and Brett Favre didn't mind playing against them 4 times last year, and Drew Brees the year before had a perfect passer rating against us on MNF.

We have problems at the #3 & #4 CB spot until proven otherwise, and our safeties other than Nick Collins leave a lot to be desired, again until proven otherwise.

Like I said, Favre, Brees, Big Ben, Warner....... they wouldn't vote our DBs as the best, surely. Big Ben set the Steeler franchise record for yards passing against us. Favre had 7 TDs to 0 Ints in 2 games. Warner was 22/23 between the hash marks against us. Let's dial it down a bit, until we shut down a great QB for once.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's to be expected. Young team that's only going to get better and now has some playoff experience, they're going to be the hot Super Bowl pick.

My only worry is that teams rarely live up to that hype.

My thoughts exactly, who is ever right about a team that they predict to the Super Bowl, it's a crapshoot b/c you never who can emerge.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ****-ists have to talk about something. I just hope the team pays no attention to it and plays like it's picked to be last in the league. If we control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball we'll be just fine. A very big if.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ****-ists have to talk about something. I just hope the team pays no attention to it and plays like it's picked to be last in the league. If we control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball we'll be just fine. A very big if.

That's true, sadly that's what the "experts" get paid for. The only thing to do as you said JBlood, is not to get sucked into the hype. This offseason the media kept hammering Rodgers and Mccarthy about why they got off to the slow start in '09. Both had the same responses in that the entire team thought that they were "all that" coming out of the preseason. They felt overconfident in all aspects, believing the playoffs were a given and noone could touch them. I just hope that doesn't happen again. They have to prepare for each game like they have a chip on their shoulder.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Frankly, it's that cockiness out of last year's preseason that makes me kind of hope we don't dominate everyone the same way again this year.

Yeah, it was fun as hell to watch, but I'd like to go through some fake adversity in the preseason.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the schedule.......it isn't going to be easy thats for sure!

Vikings twice...Da Bears is always a tough game........plus the Eagles, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Dallas, 49ers, Falcons and the Giants. Although I don't live in Wisconsin anymore........it would be nice to take a 30 minute drive to the New Stadium in Arlington Texas to watch the Packers in the Superbowl. Drove past it a couple days ago. Looks pretty good. Not to mention........what a way to Break the stadium in as far as Superbowls are concerned. 1st Superbowl .......Packers win it. It would be SWEEEET!

OK........back to reality. Lets get this party started.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Frankly, it's that cockiness out of last year's preseason that makes me kind of hope we don't dominate everyone the same way again this year.

Yeah, it was fun as hell to watch, but I'd like to go through some fake adversity in the preseason.

Yup, I like the fact that Mccarthy takes each game seriously but he has to be a better poker player. He didn't really let up on the Cards back in the preseason or the week 17 game. The Cards took advantage with whatever film they got and beat us accordingly.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It depends on a few things.

#1- Injuries
#2- Luck
#3- Refs calls
#4- Other teams
#5- Our pass defense/pass rush

Great point. The thing to point out is that of the items on this list only #5 is fully controllable by the Packers. #1 is controllable to a point - we have depth at most positions, but we can't afford to lose Rodgers, Woodson, Collins, or Matthews.

Thompson has absolutely put us in a position to succeed. Now, we need a few breaks to go our way.

Can hardly wait for the season to start.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vikings twice...Da Bears is always a tough game........plus the Eagles, Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, Dallas, 49ers, Falcons and the Giants. Although I don't live in Wisconsin anymore........it would be nice to take a 30 minute drive to the New Stadium in Arlington Texas to watch the Packers in the Superbowl. Drove past it a couple days ago. Looks pretty good. Not to mention........what a way to Break the stadium in as far as Superbowls are concerned. 1st Superbowl .......Packers win it. It would be SWEEEET!

You live in DFW?

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Bears, we can beat them back to back, just like last year. :chisux:
Vikings, we will at least beat them in Green Bay, you can take that to the bank. I promise you :viksux:
Eagles?! Give me a break! they don't have a QB and already have some nice drama going with the infamous dog the bounty dog fighter.

Cowboys, overrated! We took them to class last year, will do it AGAIN.

Pats will be a challenge, I will give you that

Dolphins are hot and cold, they can suck when they want to.

49ers? Meh, 49 flavors of weaksauce

Falcons and Giants are not scary either.

Game on.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Volvo said:
Bears, we can beat them back to back, just like last year.
I sure hope so, but our week one win over them was lucky as hell. Many things went our way in that game, especially late.
Volvo said:
Vikings, we will at least beat them in Green Bay, you can take that to the bank. I promise you
I really really hope so, but those ****** have beaten us 3 straight times so your promise means nothing there.
Volvo said:
Eagles?! Give me a break! they don't have a QB and.
Kevin Kolb is in a similar position as Rodgers was taking over the ship. But Kolb had a little more action than Rodgers did, and Kolb looked good with two 300+ yard starts in his chance last year, so let's not pretend he's Sage Rosenfels or something like that.
Volvo said:
Cowboys, overrated! We took them to class last year, will do it AGAIN.
I hope so, but A) our win over them was actually close last year, with the big play being the Woodson strip-sack of Romo with the fumble bouncing around and eventually Matthews getting it and going to the 1-yard line. The fact was Felix Jones had it and was down, but the refs let us get it, and B) Romo missed a wide open Miles Austin early in the game that would have been a TD, C) Romo forced one to Witten on the goalline and Woodson made a phenomenal pick.... Romo won't throw at Woodson anymore, and D) Dallas kicked our ***** in Green Bay the year before, so you never know what will happen in this matchup. I live in Dallas, so I hope big time it's like 2009, not 2008, but still, our offense didn't do crap in 2009 against them either really.
Volvo said:
Dolphins are hot and cold, they can suck when they want to.
I'm not that impressed with Miami either, but we've lost down in Florida 2 years in a row to a worse team, so....
Volvo said:
49ers? Meh, 49 flavors of weaksauce
The Niners are going to be really good this year. We dominated them in the first half last year, but they beat us in the 2nd half of the game... and they will be better this year.
Volvo said:
Falcons and Giants are not scary either
Falcons will be favored over us probably, and the Giants are still good, but I think they will be eliminated by week 16 when we play them.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the "position" thing regarding Kolb and Rodgers.

But Rodgers PROVED he belongs in the elite category. Kolb looked fairly good, against the dreadful KC and in a lost game against the Saints...

But yeah, wouldn't count him out.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the "position" thing regarding Kolb and Rodgers.

But Rodgers PROVED he belongs in the elite category. Kolb looked fairly good, against the dreadful KC and in a lost game against the Saints...

But yeah, wouldn't count him out.

Don' get me wrong I love Rodgers being a QB but I don't think the guy has proved anything just yet. He's only been starting for 2 seasons and while the stats are impressive, he hasn't produced a single playoff win nor SB title just yet. Even Drew Brees was seen as doubted to be an elite QB before his SB win, so why should Rodgers be the exception. I think taking over for Favre and throwing for two back to back 4,000 yard seasons aren't enough to make you elite... YET.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don' get me wrong I love Rodgers being a QB but I don't think the guy has proved anything just yet. He's only been starting for 2 seasons and while the stats are impressive, he hasn't produced a single playoff win nor SB title just yet. Even Drew Brees was seen as doubted to be an elite QB before his SB win, so why should Rodgers be the exception. I think taking over for Favre and throwing for two back to back 4,000 yard seasons aren't enough to make you elite... YET.

so what QB in their first 2 seasons as a starter had a better start to their career?

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so what QB in their first 2 seasons as a starter had a better start to their career?

Like I said, his accomplishments in the first couple of years as a starter is impressive, but getting a SB ring or several more years of consistent play will put him in the "elite" category. While I have no doubt that Rodgers csn do both, I just wanted to be fair to other up and comers like Schuab, Rivers and Flacco.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love & defend Rodgers to the death almost, but I agree with you.
Greatness is measured in the playoffs IMO.

He was great in his one playoff game, except the first pass he threw (terrible int) and his last play (took too long, fumbled). In between, he was Tom Brady in the post-season out there.

It's time we start racking up some playoff wins though.
I want 3 of them this season, culminating with a win here in Dallas, in which I would be at the game if we made it!!!!!!!!

Please, God....

Members online

Latest posts