Analysis on everyone else's picks

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Last year Detroit lost 6 games by 4 or less points. The average of their 9 losses was by 5.8 points per game. I can understand why they have made the moves that they did. Adding Golden Tate takes some pressure off of Calvin Johnson. Adding Ebron will spread out defenses even further, especially since he plays more like a slot receiver than a TE. For the most part, the defense was good enough to keep them close, so if they can improve the offense, that might be enough to get a few more wins. Put simply, convert 1 possession from each loss last year from a turnover into a TD, and they are 13-3 instead of 7-9.

That, however, was last year. I can only hope Caldwell and the new coordinators bring some discipline and a stronger focus on fundamentals to the team.
losing by 50 points or losing by 3 points is still a lose, plain and simple. If this, if that.....is all blah blah blah.....if your aunt had a d!ck, she would be your uncle. Detroit is detroit. A TE that is still an unproven piece cant be considered an impact as of yet. Golden tate is average at best so he is a slight improvement. Last year people raved the lions for getting reggie bush....ok.....where did they finish? Yeah, thought so. If they are not going to take care of that secondary then they WILL NOT be a threat. Stafford is a poor mans Favre, he is a gunslinger with half the skills...... he has a 10 million dollar arm with a 10 cent head. Stafford and the secondary will continue to be the weak link. He seems to toss the oh so perfect pick at the oh so perfect time, he IS NOT a franchise QB..... he has yet to prove that in the clutch when things are tight that he can win it all. As long as we have Arod and a half way decent crew of WR's, then we will be the dominant team in the NFC north, period.

M

melvin2345

losing by 50 points or losing by 3 points is still a lose, plain and simple.

Granted, a loss is a loss. But there is quite a big difference between losing by multiple scores every game, and having 2/3 of your losses be by 4 points or less. You can’t just say ‘well, we lost’ and move on. You have to look at HOW those losses were suffered and try to fix the problems.

If this, if that.....is all blah blah blah.....if your aunt had a d!ck, she would be your uncle. Detroit is detroit. A TE that is still an unproven piece cant be considered an impact as of yet. Golden tate is average at best so he is a slight improvement. Last year people raved the lions for getting reggie bush....ok.....where did they finish? Yeah, thought so. If they are not going to take care of that secondary then they WILL NOT be a threat. Stafford is a poor mans Favre, he is a gunslinger with half the skills...... he has a 10 million dollar arm with a 10 cent head. Stafford and the secondary will continue to be the weak link.

I agree that the current lineup of players and coaches is unproven. What we have to look at is what was done to address the problems of last year. The biggest problems last year (in no particular order):

1. Not having a legitimate threat complementing Calvin Johnson. When CJ had a mediocre or bad game, the Lions suffered. This was addressed by adding Tate and Ebron.

1a. Not enough red zone scoring opportunities. The Lions were 4th in the NFL last year in terms of scoring TDs in the red zone. They were only 8th in red zone attempts though. If they can improve the offense enough to generate more red zone opportunities, that should help them.

2. Stafford’s inconsistency. New head coach, OC and QB coach who all have experience working with developing QBs.

3. The secondary. They dumped Louis Delmas. They added James Ihedigbo, Nevin Lawson, Cassius Vaughn and a few others. Once the roster is finalized, there should be some healthy new blood there.

As long as we have Arod and a half way decent crew of WR's, then we will be the dominant team in the NFC north, period.

Also agreed. I think Detroit has done some things to try and improve, but you are right. Until they actually do something with their talent, the Packers remain the kings of the hill.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Granted, a loss is a loss. But there is quite a big difference between losing by multiple scores every game, and having 2/3 of your losses be by 4 points or less. You can’t just say ‘well, we lost’ and move on. You have to look at HOW those losses were suffered and try to fix the problems.

I agree that the current lineup of players and coaches is unproven. What we have to look at is what was done to address the problems of last year. The biggest problems last year (in no particular order):

1. Not having a legitimate threat complementing Calvin Johnson. When CJ had a mediocre or bad game, the Lions suffered. This was addressed by adding Tate and Ebron.

1a. Not enough red zone scoring opportunities. The Lions were 4th in the NFL last year in terms of scoring TDs in the red zone. They were only 8th in red zone attempts though. If they can improve the offense enough to generate more red zone opportunities, that should help them.

2. Stafford’s inconsistency. New head coach, OC and QB coach who all have experience working with developing QBs.

3. The secondary. They dumped Louis Delmas. They added James Ihedigbo, Nevin Lawson, Cassius Vaughn and a few others. Once the roster is finalized, there should be some healthy new blood there.

Also agreed. I think Detroit has done some things to try and improve, but you are right. Until they actually do something with their talent, the Packers remain the kings of the hill.

For your first part above: Losing by just 3 or even fewer points tells me something, maybe not everything...but....It lets me know that if the main body of your loses come in by 3 - 4 points, you are having trouble closing out the game, making offensive drives count. A lot of that falls on stafford IMO. He has had to do that infamous walk of shame with the helmet half off his head back to the side lines showing off his chubby cheeked face because he tossed that 4th Qtr pick that drove the nail into his own coffin. He sure can throw for 5,000 yards per season, but he aint got **** to show for inflated stats. Hell, give me a guy who throws for 4,000 and 35-40 TD's and only a hand full of picks any day.... oh wait, we have that. lol Not to mention with all this new blood, new coaching, new this, new that..... that does not always spell joy and rainbows, sometimes that can spell disaster as well. Think about this: new coaching trying to tame a dirty "do my own thing" D line, a poor secondary that has no time working together, a QB that is and always will be a gun slinger..... good luck Lions and staff, you will need it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
losing by 50 points or losing by 3 points is still a lose, plain and simple. If this, if that.....is all blah blah blah.....if your aunt had a d!ck, she would be your uncle. Detroit is detroit. A TE that is still an unproven piece cant be considered an impact as of yet. Golden tate is average at best so he is a slight improvement. Last year people raved the lions for getting reggie bush....ok.....where did they finish? Yeah, thought so.

You vastly underestimate Golden Tate. I once saw him catch a pass that went right to the DB. Tate fell on the ground with the DB on top of him Tate was able to reach around the DB and with just 3 fingers, catch the ball that was being tightly clutched by the DB. Simply amazing!

I was not a Reggie Bush fan - he is limited in what he can do. But Ebron is going to be something else. I agree that Stafford is a way from being a polished QB and that will hold them back, but he additional tools will just make him that much more effective.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You vastly underestimate Golden Tate. I once saw him catch a pass that went right to the DB. Tate fell on the ground with the DB on top of him Tate was able to reach around the DB and with just 3 fingers, catch the ball that was being tightly clutched by the DB. Simply amazing!

I was not a Reggie Bush fan - he is limited in what he can do. But Ebron is going to be something else. I agree that Stafford is a way from being a polished QB and that will hold them back, but he additional tools will just make him that much more effective.

Referring to the "fail mary" and goldens tates trickery that fooled a bunch of hack *** refs..... that does not make him that much better..... take all the WR's and look at their stats, and without me looking, I bet he falls into the pedestrian level. Bush is getting up there is age and durability..... no big threats.

M

melvin2345

Referring to the "fail mary" and goldens tates trickery that fooled a bunch of hack *** refs..... that does not make him that much better..... take all the WR's and look at their stats, and without me looking, I bet he falls into the pedestrian level. Bush is getting up there is age and durability..... no big threats.

Depends on how you want to judge him. In Seattle, his looks may have been limited because they have Marshawn Lynch. He led them in receptions (64), and receiving yards (898). He averaged 14.0 yds/rec, and 8.0 yac.

In Detroit, it is assumed he will get thrown to more than in Seattle. What makes people excited is this "...dropped only five passes since 2011. He caught 144 of 149 catchable balls thrown his way in that time, according to ProFootballFocus."

He doesn't drop the ball very much. So, provided Stafford can get it in the same zip code (fingers crossed), Tate should prove to be a valuable addition.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I fear the Lions' best acquisition this off season is Caldwell. Yes, he has some players to "tame", but if a team reflects the qualities of it's HC, they may go from dirty and undisciplined to classy and disciplined.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pretty sure Amish was making a joke.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lions and Packers will split . They can score points and will score points if stafford stays healthy. People underestimate bush but he can be a nightmare matchup vs anyone especially lb's.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Lions are the only team in the NFC North capable of challenging the Packers for the division crown. They´ve a lot of talent on the roster and if Caldwell is able to form a discipline buch out of them they´ll be a dangerous team.

For that to happen Stafford has to cut down on his mistakes though and the secondary has to make a huge jump. I don´t see that happening because of the additon of Ihedigbo, Vaughn or Lawson.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions are the only team in the NFC North capable of challenging the Packers for the division crown. They´ve a lot of talent on the roster and if Caldwell is able to form a discipline buch out of them they´ll be a dangerous team.

For that to happen Stafford has to cut down on his mistakes though and the secondary has to make a huge jump. I don´t see that happening because of the additon of Ihedigbo, Vaughn or Lawson.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, that front four can generate enough pressure that'll cover up for their deficiencies . Probably the best front after Seattles.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Just want to say real quick, the Packer forum has some of the most reasonable members when compared to the other NFCN forums. This coming from a 20+ year Lions fan. I lurk all 4 teams forums, and you guys, as a whole, are really the only ones who take time to actually learn about the other teams and make comments based on reality instead of just chanting "Our team rules, everyone else sucks!".
You need to stick around and read some more. It works like this. Any player the Viking draft will suck. In Detroit it does not matter who they draft because the coaches suck. And Chicago, well they just suck in general. :D

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
For your first part above: Losing by just 3 or even fewer points tells me something, maybe not everything...but....It lets me know that if the main body of your loses come in by 3 - 4 points, you are having trouble closing out the game, making offensive drives count. A lot of that falls on stafford IMO. He has had to do that infamous walk of shame with the helmet half off his head back to the side lines showing off his chubby cheeked face because he tossed that 4th Qtr pick that drove the nail into his own coffin. He sure can throw for 5,000 yards per season, but he aint got **** to show for inflated stats. Hell, give me a guy who throws for 4,000 and 35-40 TD's and only a hand full of picks any day.... oh wait, we have that. lol Not to mention with all this new blood, new coaching, new this, new that..... that does not always spell joy and rainbows, sometimes that can spell disaster as well. Think about this: new coaching trying to tame a dirty "do my own thing" D line, a poor secondary that has no time working together, a QB that is and always will be a gun slinger..... good luck Lions and staff, you will need it.
Losing by 3-4 point a game is not always on the offense. Last year the Vikings lost 4 games by 4 point or less. And it was not always the offense the did the damage.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've said it once and I'll say it again, that front four can generate enough pressure that'll cover up for their deficiencies . Probably the best front after Seattles.

The Lions front four for sure has the talent to do that, they haven´t been able to constantly show it though.

M

melvin2345

You need to stick around and read some more. It works like this. Any player the Viking draft will suck. In Detroit it does not matter who they draft because the coaches suck. And Chicago, well they just suck in general. :D

Regardless of who they draft, the problem with the Vikings is that their game plan seems to work like this:
1. Try to have a balanced offense for half the game
2. "It's not working coach"
3. F' it, just give it to AP a bunch.
4. Score a couple times, lose anyway

In Detroit, Jim Schwartz, Rod Marinelli, **** Jauron, Steve Mariucci, Marty Mornihnweg, Bobby Ross, Wayne Fontes.... You make an excellent point, sir.

Chicago. Well, Cutler cares more about his hair gel than winning. If he gave half a rat's ***, they might be better. But even that is contingent upon their defense not giving up 30 pts every game....

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

The truth hurts, doesn't it? :geek:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts