1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

An inside look at how McCarthy gets ready for a game...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by all about da packers, Oct 7, 2006.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    SOURCE.
    Sort of a picture at how much work is involved week in week out at being a coach.

Very enlightening read.

2. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I liked this article because finally, after all these years, I got an explanation for how those first 15 plays work. I had always wondered how the first 15 plays could be pre-determined, because there are such wide variations in down and distance from play to play. I figured there had to be some way of adjusting the plays to the situation, and now I finally know how it is done, at least by Mike McCarthy, and I imagine it is similar with other coaches who run the West Coast Offense.

Also, I enjoyed McCarthy's very straightforward explanation of the whole process. He comes across in this article as a very good teacher.

3. Chamuko

Chamuko Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My first thought: Mike you are not the right coach for this team.

I thought that when I knew you have got the job, now I have it confirmed.

My second thought: I really wish TT has the ball to eat his own manure and fire you by the endo of the season.

4. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Can we please the comments in this section relative to Mike McCarthy in terms of the article he wrote?

Any future comments about bashing/supporting TT that aren't in the appropriate thread will be deleted.

5. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Preset plays to test how the defense reacts to different kind of plays is usual Chamuko, a lot of NFL coaches does it. What's the problem with McCarthy doing it? It's pretty smart too.

Would you rather have a coach calling plays that doesn't work all game long?

6. trippster

trippster Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Bill Walsh started it and won 3 or 4 Superbowls with it.....Mike Holmgren brought it to GB and went to 2 Superbowls with it.

Sounds to me like a smart thing to do and I am glad our coach is doing it. To me it sounds like someone who is prepared going with a plan going into the game.

7. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I don't see how explaining the process warrants an attack on Mike. There is nothing in the article that would deserve that kind of response. If you have your opinion of Mike, fine -- but please keep the thread on the content of the article and the process involved and not your opinions as to his worthiness.

8. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Great information, thanks for posting. It seems that McCarthy is very knowledgeable and prepared. I think he has a chance to be a very good head coach, but how he handles this season and the offseason and the type of players he has to work with next year will go a long way toward telling if he is the answer or gone within the next year or two.