An inside look at how McCarthy gets ready for a game...

Reaction score
SOURCE.
Mike McCarthy column: First 15 gives players blueprint for success

When Bill Walsh brought the West Coast offense to the NFL, he also brought a new concept related to game planning and play calling known as the First 15 Play Script.

It essentially was a set of plays Walsh would plan to begin the game with, depending on down-and-distance situation, to get his offense into a rhythm and get a look at how the defense was going to react to certain formations and schemes.

Almost every coach running a version of the West Coast offense has continued to put together a First 15. Different coaches use it in different ways, and there's no one way to implement and execute it.

So, I thought I could provide some insight into my philosophy behind the First 15 and how I go about putting it together for the Green Bay Packers' offense.

First of all, I don't refer to it as the First 15 plays. I call it my First 15 thoughts.

It's all about giving the players a starting point with the confidence and understanding to attack the opposing defense.

Like anything you do in life, everybody wants to know, "What's the first thing I have to do?" It gives players a comfort level, knowing how the game is going to start. To me, that's the benefit of the First 15.

It starts with putting together a package of plays in our base offense for the initial first downs, plus second downs of 1 to 7 yards to go.

From there, it branches out into a list of first calls for certain situations — second-and- 8-plus to go, third-and-1 to -5, third-and-6 to -10, third-and- 11-plus.

There are also initial calls for red-zone and goal-line situations.

It's a thought process that goes on during the course of the week, and a lot the selections for the First 15 will depend on the practice repetitions on Wednesday and Thursday. Which plays do the players seem most comfortable with? Which have the best execution? All that factors in.

All the coaches have some input during our game-planning phase early in the week.

Then, in our quarterback meeting on Thursday, the quarterbacks are given a handout to fill out their first plays for different situations and rank them.

Some of that is used as input for the First 15, but it's also used to generate discussion about why certain plays might work and others won't. I'm preaching that to the quarterbacks all the time, that when a play is called, they must know why that play was called and what we're trying to get out of it. It's a valuable piece of the education process, getting the quarterback and the play caller on the same page.

Knowing what plays a quarterback likes is crucial. I tell the guys, "If you like it, I love it. If you don't like it, I hate it." I have plays that I love, but if the quarterback doesn't feel comfortable, it doesn't work. The guy who needs the comfort level with a play is the one calling it in the huddle, not the one calling it from the sideline.

Offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski and I then finalize the First 15.

When I was an offensive coordinator, I'd put it together on Friday night and then present it to the players on Saturday night at the hotel. But I'm not a big believer in making decisions the night before the game, less than 24 hours before the game, so I've changed the timing in a way I think benefits our players.

Now, Jags and I put it together on Thursday night. That gives the players a chance to walk through it during meetings on Friday morning, jog through it at the beginning of Friday's practice and run the plays at full speed during the main portion of practice.

Then we present it to them again with the practice film on Saturday morning during meetings, and talk through it, plus they're handed a printed copy. By noon Saturday, they've been exposed to the First 15 five times.

Everything has been practiced, all the repetitions are in and the players know well ahead of time which plays will be the first calls in various situations. They can continue to mentally prepare after the physical preparation is over.

At that point, we're all set with the First 15 thoughts, and the other plays that have been practiced during the week are worked into the overall game plan.

Now, if the defense gives you some wild scheme with all sorts of blitzing at the start of the game, you have to be ready to look beyond your First 15. It happens once in a while, but if you've prepared a thorough First 15, there will be some plays in there to combat the unexpected.

In the end, the whole idea of the First 15 is to get the players feeling really good about a certain group of plays coming into the game. They know these are the first ones we're going to call, and that's how we get things rolling with anticipation and urgency.

Sort of a picture at how much work is involved week in week out at being a coach.

Very enlightening read.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked this article because finally, after all these years, I got an explanation for how those first 15 plays work. I had always wondered how the first 15 plays could be pre-determined, because there are such wide variations in down and distance from play to play. I figured there had to be some way of adjusting the plays to the situation, and now I finally know how it is done, at least by Mike McCarthy, and I imagine it is similar with other coaches who run the West Coast Offense.

Also, I enjoyed McCarthy's very straightforward explanation of the whole process. He comes across in this article as a very good teacher.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first thought: Mike you are not the right coach for this team.

I thought that when I knew you have got the job, now I have it confirmed.

My second thought: I really wish TT has the ball to eat his own manure and fire you by the endo of the season.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Can we please the comments in this section relative to Mike McCarthy in terms of the article he wrote?

Any future comments about bashing/supporting TT that aren't in the appropriate thread will be deleted.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preset plays to test how the defense reacts to different kind of plays is usual Chamuko, a lot of NFL coaches does it. What's the problem with McCarthy doing it? It's pretty smart too.

Would you rather have a coach calling plays that doesn't work all game long?

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bill Walsh started it and won 3 or 4 Superbowls with it.....Mike Holmgren brought it to GB and went to 2 Superbowls with it.

Sounds to me like a smart thing to do and I am glad our coach is doing it. To me it sounds like someone who is prepared going with a plan going into the game.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko said:
My first thought: Mike you are not the right coach for this team.

I thought that when I knew you have got the job, now I have it confirmed.

My second thought: I really wish TT has the ball to eat his own manure and fire you by the endo of the season.

I don't see how explaining the process warrants an attack on Mike. There is nothing in the article that would deserve that kind of response. If you have your opinion of Mike, fine -- but please keep the thread on the content of the article and the process involved and not your opinions as to his worthiness.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great information, thanks for posting. It seems that McCarthy is very knowledgeable and prepared. I think he has a chance to be a very good head coach, but how he handles this season and the offseason and the type of players he has to work with next year will go a long way toward telling if he is the answer or gone within the next year or two.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts