An Article: Thompson's speech to Wi. Sports editors

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted May 05, 2006

Thompson: Without trade, Walker would have sat out season

By Ricardo Arguello
PackersNews.com

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson admitted Thursday that if the team had been unable to trade Javon Walker, the Packers were prepared to let the disgruntled receiver sit out the season.

Thompson was the guest speaker at the Wisconsin Associated Sports Editors annual banquet held at the Lambeau Field Atrium on the eve of the team’s first offseason minicamp.

“In the long run, we could have done that to make a statement,â€

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: An Article in PGon Thompson's speech to Wi. Sports editors

good article. as much as Ted ****** people off, or they say he's kind of a stiff (which he is), his deal is all about accountability. everyone has a role to play to make a successful team, himself included. he's not going to shift blame or throw anyone under the bus. i like the way he's put together... did that sound gay?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Re: An Article in PGon Thompson's speech to Wi. Sports edi

yup...

i think Ted handled this whole thing wrong...

He should have spoken to Walker last year and tried to smooth things out..but he didn't and it turned into a pissing match...

oh well..

If Walker goes to Denver and lights it up..and the receivers in GB struggle..there's gonna be alot of second guessing going on....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yes, and i should have studied harder in college. hindsight = 20/20

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Re: An Article in PGon Thompson's speech to Wi. Sports edi

No..

it's not hindsight...it's TT's job...

(I was saying he should have talked to Walker and tried to get something worked out since day 1...)

Too many times GM's feel that they've got to take the "hard-line" all of the time with their players so they don't get out of hand..when a little communication might have gotten the problem fixed before it snowballed into an avalanche...

imo...

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and then they could go cuddle up on a rainbow and sing lullabies to a unicorn.

Have you even seen these guys attitudes... we arent talking about relationship spats man. there are millions and millions of dollars at stake, and they are arguing over "potential and future happenings."

anotherwords. Javon thinks that based on one year of great play, that he deserves more money, TT thinks that Javon should honor his contract. Now they are basing this on Javon thinking he can continue this performance and TT being logical and waiting for the proof.

You cant just say hey javon, whats going on buddy, hows your dad.... any who since you had that one good year i think ill be a nice guy and give you 40 milion dollars. homeboy signed a contract, and maybe he outplayed it, but TT didnt handle it wrong.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

No one said 40 million....(you guys always say we want TT to throw away $$$, which we don't...just to use it wisely..)

but..perhaps for 500k and a promise to negotiate at the end of the year..TT might have been able to sweet talk Javon into staying in GB...and the Pack wouldn't have lost a player with his talents....

(but he got his pay day from Denver now..didn't he...??)

Looks like Javon's cuddling up with Unicorns in Denver or whatever...he got his pot of gold...and I didn't even know he was Irish...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did denver give him a fat contract??? and ps. i don't think 500K, or even 1 million would have satisfied javon in GB. i'm think more along the lines of him wanting around 5-7million per season...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look guys....what 66 is saying and I kind of agree is that after TT took a hard line, and Walker reported in good faith only to blow his knee out in the first game, TT should have done something right there. He could have said "Hey you did the right thing by honoring your contract. We're going to reward you, even though you injured your knee. Work ******* your rehab and we will redo your contract. Because of the injury we will have to include health incentives into your contract, but you are a big part of this team and we want to keep you around."

What would be so "rainbow....lullibies" about that? It's all about communication. Football is no different than any other business. You need to keep your people happy. Even if it means a little pandering to their ego.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed bozz...he would have asked for a lot more than a promise and 500k. He wanted more $$$ than the packers were willing or able to give out last year...and furthermore, he made his position public, which screwed him.

I don't feel like a 2nd pick was fair value, but the pack probably weren't getting much more.

On a side note, I'm pretty pumped about Hawk after hearing how high TT is on him...if I'm not mistaken, TT played LB, so if anyone would be able to evaluate talent at that position, it'd be him.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack...I agree that the situation could have possibly been handled better...but, even with health clauses, it's pretty hard to give a guy a raise after he had a potentially career altering injury.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bob Dylan once wrote, The times, they are a-changin. Pack66 had never heard that song.

and as far as backing you up bozz I'm proud of you. You kept your head on a swivel, and that's what you gotta do when you find yourself in a vicious **** fight.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Look guys....what 66 is saying and I kind of agree is that after TT took a hard line, and Walker reported in good faith only to blow his knee out in the first game, TT should have done something right there. He could have said "Hey you did the right thing by honoring your contract. We're going to reward you, even though you injured your knee. Work ******* your rehab and we will redo your contract. Because of the injury we will have to include health incentives into your contract, but you are a big part of this team and we want to keep you around."

What would be so "rainbow....lullibies" about that? It's all about communication. Football is no different than any other business. You need to keep your people happy. Even if it means a little pandering to their ego.

I agree with you DePack.
It's all about communication. Very seldom can anything positive can come out of a situation unless two way communication can take place, whether it's with your wife, kids, boss or a friend. If you can't communicate with each other you can't comfortably co-exist.
This, I think will be Teddys down fall in Green Bay.
Teddy is a football person who maybe has a good eye for talent, but he is not a communicator IMHO.
Poor communication or no communication generally leads to bad things happening, no matter if you are a husband/wife, father/mother,son /daughter,manager or employee.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how all this can be said when it is based on assumption. None of us know what was said between Javon and Thompson. It could just as easily be assumed that TT did offer a modest raise with promises to restructure, as it is to assume that there was no communication. For all we know Javon Walker could of been the one refusing to discuss anything with Ted Thompson. For all we know a midget with a hand grenade refused to allow Javon Walker within 500 feet of Ted Thompson. The fact is that Walker is gone, for better or worse, and people should think ahead, not about what is past.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
I don't know how all this can be said when it is based on assumption. None of us know what was said between Javon and Thompson. It could just as easily be assumed that TT did offer a modest raise with promises to restructure, as it is to assume that there was no communication. For all we know Javon Walker could of been the one refusing to discuss anything with Ted Thompson. For all we know a midget with a hand grenade refused to allow Javon Walker within 500 feet of Ted Thompson. The fact is that Walker is gone, for better or worse, and people should think ahead, not about what is past.

You are 100% correct none of us know that.
As I stated, in so many words, communication has to go both ways, and I still don't think Teddy is a good communicator, and if neither affected party can communicate, only bad things can happen.

You are also 100% correct that Walker is gone and we should think ahead, but Teddy is still in Green Bay.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:

"I have not spoken to Javon Walker about his contract. As far as I am concerned, he is under contract and I expect to see him in camp."

Ted Thompson (paraphrased)

He has said this many times with regard to Walker's situation. I'm not saying he was wrong to handle it that way, I'm just saying he did. Professional football players like Walker NEED their ego stroked and WANT to know you still care. Nobody is saying anything bad about TT (God forbid). Just pointing out a personality trait.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:Walks in, sees a good TT article, followed by P@ck66 bashing him:

same ol story.

:leaves:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
:Walks in, sees a good TT article, followed by P@ck66 bashing him:

same ol story.

:leaves:

Hope you don't think I am bashing TT too. My scenario probably wouldn't have gotten him anywhere. I just think you need to exhaust all avenues.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nah, players who need their ego stroked like Javon...shouldnt be in the league.

Bad knee
Bad attitude
Bad teammate
Good riddance

Favre made Javon what he is. Lets see how good almighty Javon is when PLummer is the one chucking him the ball. Won't even get 1000 yards.

Members online

Latest posts