Amish Mafia Mock Offseason

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too damn cold to work outside edition

COACHING
Extend MM. I know, he hasn't deserved it as of late. But no DC is going to come to GB with a lame duck HC. So we extend MM for 3 years with limited guaranteed money. There is an understanding that things need to get better or it will be a 1 year deal.

Fire Capers and his entire staff. Enough is enough, Supplied with numerous high picks the Packers defense looks worse each year. Defense plays flat. The last time I was impressed with a defensive game plan was the Playoff loss to Seattle a few years back.

Hire Dave Aranda DC. I looked at a lot of the available DCs and they all can do a better job than Capers, but I'm not sure there are any slam dunks. We should have done this last year and picked up Gus Bradley, but Charges snatched him up. Dave Aranda has done very well with limited talent at Wisconsin. For a team that continually ranks between 20-30 range on recruiting talent, consistently had one of the top defenses in the country. They are very well coached and I would love to see what he can do with the talent we have. I'm sure there will be a few big names available, Fangio and Spagnola by seasons end, and they would definitely be in the mix.

Free Agency
Resign
Adams - became the go to guy in Green Bay. Concussion concerns is the only thing. Maybe we don't want the risk.

Linsley - We don't have much at center. We need a little more continuity there. Sign him!

Burnett - the QB of our defense. He his a hidden asset due to our crap-tacular defense.

House - Should be able to get him inexpensively. The way we go through these guys, we need more depth. He is solid, makes a few plays here and there. With a better DC - he can have a role.

Dial - Give him a full offseason to see what he can do.

Goode - can't replace a good long snapper - but we will probably try again.

Richard Rodgers - perilously thin at TE. He is okay, shouldn't cost too much.

Losses
Brooks - need more youth at OLB
Evans - near the end of the road
Janis - used to be a ST standout which kept him on the team. Don't think he stood out much this season
Goodson - end of the road.

Signings
TE Jimmy Graham - TT has signed a highly regarded TE FA the last 2 years running. I think he realizes they are slow in developing and Richard Rodgers isn't wowing anyone. He also realizes how impactful a threat at WR is for Aaron Rodgers. Therefore drafting and developing isn't an option. I don't like many of the available FAs. A lot of injury risk or very old prospects.

WR Donte Moncrief - bit of an injury risk, but some very interesting measureables that I would like to see what AR can do if teamed up.

DRAFT
We should be picking around 15. Higher if we lose and lower if we win on Sunday. Way too early. I know TT really values performance at Senior Bowl and similar games. Will revise later.

1. Clellin Ferrell - OLB - bolster that pass rush, we are sorely lacking. Should be very good. Some question if its Ferrell or the all star defensive line around him. I think Ferrell makes the DL look better. I am interested in Vita Vea the NT from Washington. If I thought Clark would be okay moving out to 5T, I would go this route. But I hate to mess with a good thing in Clark. Vea is a load to contend with for Offensive Lines.

2. Parris Campell - WR - Looks great but had QB issues to contend with. Has good size and is an explosive playmaker

3. Joshua Jackson - CB - Good size and athleticism. Had his biggest game against Ohio State with 3 picks. Needs to work on technique but definitely has the capacity to be good. Might be limited in success due to the lack of talent around him at Iowa. Could surprise.

4. Breeland Speaks - 5T - Great depth player with some upside. Good motor and strong at the point of attack.

4b. Caleb Wilson - TE - needs to put on some weight for the next level. Only reason he is available here. Good hands and very athletic. Hope he maintains speed with an extra 20 lbs.

Will update later.

Reaction score
I also think MM deserves another shot but with a revamped Defense from the ground up. Doms Departure is long overdue.

I think we resign Adams, but Jordy and CM3 are both substantially overpaid and one needs to go this year and then possibly the other next year to free up cap space. I’d be reluctant to part ways with too many 1st tier playmakers at once though and it should be staggered (unlike last year).
I’d like to resign:
Morgan
Corey
Davante
Goode
Richard (as our #2 TE)
House (for depth)
Brooks
And possibly a couple others on the cheap.

FREE AGENCY
I’d like to see us get 2 of these 4 positions in FA or through a trade.
1. TE (Jimmy Graham)
2. DE (Ezekiel Ansah)
3. CB (not a stellar pool this year)
4. WR

I 100% believe Aaron can make a top overall (#35 or so) drafted WR count, plus I’d like to utilize Monty more as a slot receiver in 2018 (when he’s healthy)

DRAFT
I’m back n forth on WR or OLB/Edge pick #13
It depends on FA but I’m again leaning getting one of the best Linebackers in College ball (Roquon Smith) because it’s long overdue and there’s some serious talent available.
I’d then use the new trade rule and see how far up in picks our 3rd/4th round comp pick (depending on what we get awarded) packaged with our 2nd rounder gets us. There’s bound to be a late 1st round talent that slips some at either WR or CB. I’d get the best deal of those two positions leaning WR.
That still leaves us 8 more draft picks which is plenty to find some solid talent at several positions such as CB, TE/WR, OL, DL, etc..

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too damn cold to work outside edition

COACHING
Extend MM. I know, he hasn't deserved it as of late. But no DC is going to come to GB with a lame duck HC. So we extend MM for 3 years with limited guaranteed money. There is an understanding that things need to get better or it will be a 1 year deal.

Fire Capers and his entire staff. Enough is enough, Supplied with numerous high picks the Packers defense looks worse each year. Defense plays flat. The last time I was impressed with a defensive game plan was the Playoff loss to Seattle a few years back.

Hire Dave Aranda DC. I looked at a lot of the available DCs and they all can do a better job than Capers, but I'm not sure there are any slam dunks. We should have done this last year and picked up Gus Bradley, but Charges snatched him up. Dave Aranda has done very well with limited talent at Wisconsin. For a team that continually ranks between 20-30 range on recruiting talent, consistently had one of the top defenses in the country. They are very well coached and I would love to see what he can do with the talent we have. I'm sure there will be a few big names available, Fangio and Spagnola by seasons end, and they would definitely be in the mix.

Free Agency
Resign
Adams - became the go to guy in Green Bay. Concussion concerns is the only thing. Maybe we don't want the risk.

Linsley - We don't have much at center. We need a little more continuity there. Sign him!

Burnett - the QB of our defense. He his a hidden asset due to our crap-tacular defense.

House - Should be able to get him inexpensively. The way we go through these guys, we need more depth. He is solid, makes a few plays here and there. With a better DC - he can have a role.

Losses
Janis - used to be a ST standout which kept him on the team. Don't think he stood out much this season

Signings
TE Jimmy Graham - TT has signed a highly regarded TE FA the last 2 years running. I think he realizes they are slow in developing and Richard Rodgers isn't wowing anyone. He also realizes how impactful a threat at WR is for Aaron Rodgers. Therefore drafting and developing isn't an option. I don't like many of the available FAs. A lot of injury risk or very old prospects.

WR Donte Moncrief - bit of an injury risk, but some very interesting measureables that I would like to see what AR can do if teamed up.

DRAFT
We should be picking around 15. Higher if we lose and lower if we win on Sunday. Way too early. I know TT really values performance at Senior Bowl and similar games. Will revise later.

1. Clellin Ferrell - OLB - bolster that pass rush, we are sorely lacking. Should be very good. Some question if its Ferrell or the all star defensive line around him. I think Ferrell makes the DL look better. I am interested in Vita Vea the NT from Washington. If I thought Clark would be okay moving out to 5T, I would go this route. But I hate to mess with a good thing in Clark. Vea is a load to contend with for Offensive Lines.

2. Parris Campell - WR - Looks great but had QB issues to contend with. Has good size and is an explosive playmaker

3. Joshua Jackson - CB - Good size and athleticism. Had his biggest game against Ohio State with 3 picks. Needs to work on technique but definitely has the capacity to be good. Might be limited in success due to the lack of talent around him at Iowa. Could surprise.

4. Breeland Speaks - 5T - Great depth player with some upside. Good motor and strong at the point of attack.

4b. Caleb Wilson - TE - needs to put on some weight for the next level. Only reason he is available here. Good hands and very athletic. Hope he maintains speed with an extra 20 lbs.

Will update later.

Josh Jackson will probably be a first rounder, second at the latest. Not a Campbell fan, at all. Gimme DJ Moore. Would prefer Trey Burton to Graham. Don't know the other draft guys get outside of Ferrell, but I hope Landry falls to us.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jackson will probably be a first rounder, second at the latest. Not a Campbell fan, at all. Gimme DJ Moore. Would prefer Trey Burton to Graham. Don't know the other draft guys get outside of Ferrell, but I hope Landry falls to us.
I don't think he will go in The first. There are 6 or 8 2nd tier CBs that are value late 2nd early 3rd. Josh is the best. Others include Anthony averett, JC Jackson, Tarvarus McFadden, Sam Beal, Elijah Holder, and Mark Fields. I dont think the value is there in either the 1st or 2nd round. Or that there are better values available at those picks.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On further reflection, you are correct on Josh Jackson. So many Jacksons - JC, Josh, and Donte.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is that it's tough to evaluate individual position coaches when it seems that it's the overall scheme that's the problem. I feel like Darren Perry has done a good job working with what he's had at the Safety position. One might wonder whether the screwups on the back end of the defense are his fault or its the result of Dom's defense? Joe Whitt Jr., depends on what you want from this defense. I think he does a great job teaching man cover skills, but the guys work with zone concepts has been pretty bad.Then you have Mike Trgovac who has performed nicely as a DL coach. Winston Moss on the other hand has never done it for me as a Coach.

IMO get a new DC and let him decide what to do with the staff. If he decides he wants to keep some of the current staff then that's his prerogative.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding Dave Aranda, his defenses at LSU have been good but with the talent base that he has why aren't they dominant? Also at Wisconsin I remember too many situational type plays where it looked like his players were confused or weren't sure of what they were doing, Aranda might be another one of those guys who cook up too many ideas... maybe he's just a younger Dom Capers.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect there will be some new and interesting options available in a week. We need to act fast because there will be 5 or 6 coaching changes. We don't want to wait til after the best options are gone.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect there will be some new and interesting options available in a week. We need to act fast because there will be 5 or 6 coaching changes. We don't want to wait til after the best options are gone.
I fear that with MMs commitment to diligence (indecision) this is what may happen. we might get stuck with the best of the rest.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I think Jimmy Graham is going to fetch top dollar 10mil+, and at 31 he is going to start declining soon, I don't think Ted Thompson takes the risk unless its a 1 year contract.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Craptastic..... got a like for that.

Few things. I'd like to see Evans resigned. It seems our run game got a lot stronger with him out there. Durability is the problem with that old work horse. But I think he would be a decent resigning.

Monty back to wr, and situational rb/trick play artist.

I think the big injuries have slowed Jordy enough to where he should get an extension, but a #4 wr extension. 2 years. And spread his existing year of #1 wr salary out over that period. So a respectable 4-5 mil a year for the final 3 years... a very solid security blanket for the transition at wr.

Cut/trade Cobb. Resign Adams.

Then draft a wr with the first pick. I assume the new def coordinator will get the first pick. If so, I want another blue chip dlineman to play with Daniels and Clark. But more so, I would love to see what Rodgers could do with one of those big, strong,fast wrs who can burn you and actually catch the ball... so Adams, rookie stud, Monty takes over slot. With Jordy in the ranks in case the rookie has growing pains.

Te position should be fixed in free agency. Or maybe we could find a good te who is under achieving a big contract? Trade Cobb for him? Maybe draft a speedy project te as well.

On defense, I want dline to be actually used. And invested in with draft picks, free agency, what ever. Add to what we got, and hold more on the roster. I think this depth, will allow for 3 Dlinemen to be on the field more often. And Perry rushing..... Mathews should be released or traded.....

Jones should start over Williams.

Keep burnett too. Resign haha. Let king , Randall, Jones start. Trade for Casey Hayward.....Jk. but draft some CBs to develop. Need to hit on a pick or two in the cb dept.

With Martinez becoming a tackling machine. Perry entrenched at olb. We have a question mark at the other olb spot. Hope to see more 3-3-5 defenses. And we will need a well rounded olb to start. Fa?

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be opposed to trying to strengthen the offense in the first two rounds. Part of insuring for the occasional absence of Aaron Rodgers is to provide his backup with ready to work with weapons. Whereas Nelson still fits with Rodgers with their mind meld I don't see the collection of Cobb Nelson and Allison useful to whoever is behind Rodgers. I'd like to see a 1B or true number 2 added in this offseason because right now Adams is a great young if concussion prone wide receiver, Nelson should be relegated to the slot and Cobb hasnt looked like a good slot guy since we paid him. We need more talent outside of the hashmarks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Adams concussion prone though, that was Shields, getting concussed on routine football plays. Adams took 2 of the cheapest and hardest shots right to the face a guy could take and still be attached to head. Those don't happen all that often thankfully. I see it as nothing more than unfortunate for him and don't expect those hits to be a regular thing for him going forward. If they are, it won't matter who the WR is

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Rule no.1 is stay the hell out of the Pac 12 unless its some late round long shot. Just about everything we need is in the Big 10 except Smith and later round picks.

Re-sign Adam and restructure both Cobb and Nelson

Also re-sign Burnett and Corey, Dial, Evans( 1 year deal)

Free Agency: Pick up a top tier corner and OLB help

Draft

Round 1: Roquon Smith*, ILB/OLB, Georgia (speed)

Round 2: Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (more speed)

Trade back up to round 2 and get Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin (playmaker). Screw Jimmie Graham as he has lost a step and some explosion and drops to many balls. He cant block either.

Round 3: Joshua Jackson*, CB, Iowa or go OL,OLB here if Jackson (playmaker) off board

will get into later rounds later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Adams concussion prone though, that was Shields, getting concussed on routine football plays. Adams took 2 of the cheapest and hardest shots right to the face a guy could take and still be attached to head. Those don't happen all that often thankfully. I see it as nothing more than unfortunate for him and don't expect those hits to be a regular thing for him going forward. If they are, it won't matter who the WR is
I agree and I hope you are correct. But you are more susceptible to another concussion the more concussions you have. Although he wasn't prone to concussions before this season, it may become an issue.

I added a lot of receiving talent in this mock. An explosively dangerous rookie, a vet with some great measureables, and a stud TE. I would try to keep Adams but wouldn't sell the farm to keep him. Jordy is still a solid threat when AR is throwing. Allison and Clark both look solid. Cobb is clutch, I still like him more than most here.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jimmy Graham is going to fetch top dollar 10mil+, and at 31 he is going to start declining soon, I don't think Ted Thompson takes the risk unless its a 1 year contract.

There' little to no chance Graham gets anywhere near 10 million unless some GM has a stroke.

A TE on the wrong side of 30, comming off of MULTIPLE lackluster seasons that doesnt block isnt due for the kind of pay day your suggesting.

He is worth looking in to but he isn't fetching a similar dollar amount to what he would have when he was still a Saint

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There' little to no chance Graham gets anywhere near 10 million unless some GM has a stroke.

A TE on the wrong side of 30, comming off of MULTIPLE lackluster seasons that doesnt block isnt due for the kind of pay day your suggesting.

He is worth looking in to but he isn't fetching a similar dollar amount to what he would have when he was still a Saint

I will add he drops a lot of balls.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Agency
Resign

Losses
It doesn' surprise me that TT is reading my posts for advice, but he is actually flowing my list in order.

TT, after you sign Burnett, take it easy. The rest will not be pursued by many teams and you will be able to sign them cheaply. Send me a PM and we can meet for a beer and we can discuss this DC situation.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It doesn' surprise me that TT is reading my posts for advice, but he is actually flowing my list in order.

TT, after you sign Burnett, take it easy. The rest will not be pursued by many teams and you will be able to sign them cheaply. Send me a PM and we can meet for a beer and we can discuss this DC situation.

Mo Claiborne gonna be a free agent. I would take him over House without any doubt.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rule no.1 is stay the hell out of the Pac 12 unless its some late round long shot. Just about everything we need is in the Big 10 except Smith and later round picks.

Re-sign Adam and restructure both Cobb and Nelson

Also re-sign Burnett and Corey, Dial, Evans( 1 year deal)

Free Agency: Pick up a top tier corner and OLB help

Draft

Round 1: Roquon Smith*, ILB/OLB, Georgia (speed)

Round 2: Parris Campbell, WR, Ohio State (more speed)

Trade back up to round 2 and get Troy Fumagalli, TE, Wisconsin (playmaker). Screw Jimmie Graham as he has lost a step and some explosion and drops to many balls. He cant block either.

Round 3: Joshua Jackson*, CB, Iowa or go OL,OLB here if Jackson (playmaker) off board

will get into later rounds later.

Parris Campbell would be a re-do of Monty. No thanks. Better receivers out there.

Josh Jackson will not be there in round 3. I cannot stress this enough.

As for the PAC-12 comment, Kenny Clark, Nick Perry, Kevin King, Clay Matthews, Blake Martinez, and Clay Matthews all say hi. Oh, and Monty. And Aaron Rodgers. He's ok I guess. And Bakhtiari. Yeah, we better stay out of that conference, those players suck.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Parris Campbell would be a re-do of Monty. No thanks. Better receivers out there.

Josh Jackson will not be there in round 3. I cannot stress this enough.

As for the PAC-12 comment, Kenny Clark, Nick Perry, Kevin King, Clay Matthews, Blake Martinez, and Clay Matthews all say hi. Oh, and Monty. And Aaron Rodgers. He's ok I guess. And Bakhtiari. Yeah, we better stay out of that conference, those players suck.

Good point. Maybe thats why they are always hurt.

Campbell is faster then Monty and more fluid. Disagree there. Id be fine with them drafting Courtland Sutton in the 1st but TT will never do it. I like Cambell size speed combo in 2nd.

I don't like current Pac 12 defensive players. They are getting ready to go 1-8 in bowl games btw. :eek:. Soft *** fraud conference as of late.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Maybe thats why they are always hurt.

Campbell is faster then Monty and more fluid. Disagree there. Id be fine with them drafting Courtland Sutton in the 1st but TT will never do it. I like Cambell size speed combo in 2nd.

I don't like current Pac 12 defensive players. They are getting ready to go 1-8 in bowl games btw. :eek:. Soft *** fraud conference as of late.

Yes, Campbell is faster. My point is that he's not a pure WR. He's a HB/WR that isn't great at either position...he's just an excellent athlete. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd, personally. DJ Moore, Equanimous St. Brown, Marcell Ateman, Anthony Miller, they're all better options. I can find more if you give me time.

Good players are good players whether they play in the PAC 12, Big 10, Big Sky, or SEC. Don't limit yourself on where you can take players.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Yes, Campbell is faster. My point is that he's not a pure WR. He's a HB/WR that isn't great at either position...he's just an excellent athlete. I wouldn't take him in the 2nd, personally. DJ Moore, Equanimous St. Brown, Marcell Ateman, Anthony Miller, they're all better options. I can find more if you give me time.

Good players are good players whether they play in the PAC 12, Big 10, Big Sky, or SEC. Don't limit yourself on where you can take players.

Just think Cambell would be more explosive then Cobb and give us more big play ability from the slot. Campbell doesn't get used to his full potential at OSU. I like a bunch of other receivers too some which you listed.

I understand you can get good players from all conferences. I liked the King pick last year. I just don't understand what seems to be a TT obsession to draft defensive players from a conference that's not known for good defense that play out on the west coast and send them to freezing Green Bay. I think we could do better elsewhere.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts