Amari Cooper

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ Green would be my preference as well.

On a talent standpoint, I would put him the same as Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson and how Davante Adams is now

Basically a complete WR who can do everything basically lol

2years, $25MM is my guess for Green

My second choice is resigning Randall Cobb

I just don't think Amari Cooper is a good idea

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ green would have been nice 4 years ago. I wouldn’t take for anything but cheap now. He’s breaking down. My feeling is he’s pretty much done

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ green would have been nice 4 years ago. I wouldn’t take for anything but cheap now. He’s breaking down. My feeling is he’s pretty much done

AJ s "game" isn't to excel at one on one, slot, deep threat, as a route runner, red zone guy, etc

He's always been the type to do them all well.

Obviously he's not going to be our number 1 anyway, so if he's complimenting Davante, he should be fine

I don't know many number 2 cornerbacks who can cover AJ Green one on one for instance, assuming he's healthy

Obviously you have to have a physical and work him out too before you sign him though

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point it seems that Cooper will be by far the best wide receiver available in free agency next offseason though. In my opinion he will ask for too much money for the Packers to make sense to sign him based on his inconsistency.
He probably will. I am sure he wants to go where there is a solid QB that will get him the ball and he wants to win a SB like everyone else. It will be wide open. But with a great crop of college receivers coming out this year teams can go that route as well to improve rather quickly.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would agree with spending money to get Cobb back!

The Packers need to add a slot receiver next offseason but Cobb shouldn't be brought back.

I'm going to be keeping my eye on AJ Green. Despite the fact that he turns 32 in July, if the Bengals don't resign him, I think he could be a great signing, at the right price of course.

I think that his year off from playing is going to make him hungry, fresh and ready to give everything he has to prove that he is still a great WR.

I also think that the year off, as well as his age, might keep his market value down a bit.

So my question for those who would even consider pursuing AJ, how much per year is he worth? Sportrac thinks 2 years and $18M ($9M/year). That would be a bargain IMO, so I think he will be somewhere around $12-14M/year.

Green hasn't been able to get on the field since week 13 of last season because of an injury that was considered minor at the beginning of this year.

There's absolutely no way the Packers should offer him a lucrative contract in the offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Green hasn't been able to get on the field since week 13 of last season because of an injury that was considered minor at the beginning of this year.

There's absolutely no way the Packers should offer him a lucrative contract in the offseason.

I wasn't talking about signing him to a "lucrative contract".

Obviously, a team would do its due diligence in the way of his medicals. Green wouldn't be the first guy to miss that much time due to an injury and come back to the game and be just fine.

All of the time off might be exactly why Green isn't going to get signed to a lucrative contract and may just have to settle for a one year prove it deal.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wasn't talking about signing him to a "lucrative contract".

Well, you posted that you would consider signing Green to a 2-year, $18 million deal a bargain.

I definitely think that would be way too much money for a player not being able to get on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, you posted that you would consider signing Green to a 2-year, $18 million deal a bargain.

I definitely think that would be way too much money for a player not being able to get on the field.

I guess we will agree to disagree on this, as well as your definition of "A Lucrative contract". If AJ Green is medically cleared, $9M/year would be a bargain and not a lucrative contract by NFL standards IMO.

Aaron Rodgers was barely on the field in 2017 and hobbled much of 2018, should the Packers have paid him what they did?

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For AJ Green, we have to just assume the Packers would do a physical, make sure he medically checks out, probably do some light workout, etc before they sign him to a deal like that since he's been out of actually "playing" for so long.

Obviously if AJ passes those, you sign him

I don't like the idea of Cooper and what he'll want. He's not a winner/gamebreaker like Green

Reaction score
I'm going to be keeping my eye on AJ Green. Despite the fact that he turns 32 in July, if the Bengals don't resign him, I think he could be a great signing, at the right price of course.

I think that his year off from playing is going to make him hungry, fresh and ready to give everything he has to prove that he is still a great WR.

I also think that the year off, as well as his age, might keep his market value down a bit.

So my question for those who would even consider pursuing AJ, how much per year is he worth? Sportrac thinks 2 years and $18M ($9M/year). That would be a bargain IMO, so I think he will be somewhere around $12-14M/year.
I agree. At $9M there would be a multi team fight over him. That, in turn, would bring his contract above market value. Not conducive to GB getting a deal.
He’s asking for a long term contract (who wouldn’t at 32yrs :rolleyes:) but that might be a strategy that works to our favor in competing fir him. Either GB risking too much $ short term, or risk a longer contract. Take your pick.
Personally I think AJ would sacrifice yearly a bit $ to get locked in (3-4 years) I also believe a wise agent would be more likely to select a team with an upper echelon QB and likelihood of making the playoffs regularly. Not to mention some geographic advantages
On our side, I think he’s worth the risk up to a 4yr/40-50M range (depending on incentives n guaranteed) with a contract “out” his last season (similar to Graham’s 3/30). That also leaves GB space to leverage his year to year payout and go after another reasonable veteran FA or 2 this offseason.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always like AJ Green, but I think any team thinking of putting him under contract for 3-4 seasons will be looking for a new GM before he finishes that contract. I have seen nothing to make me think this guy will be on the field again producing for a single season, let alone multiples.

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Lazard can continue to progress we may be fine in just drafting a guy... and maybe getting Sanders or Amendola... you really want another underneath guy who can get open and run those drag routes

Lazard is starting to show he has some underneath game and can beat defenders one on one on slants now which will be HUGE if you have DAvante on the other side

I see Amari Cooper as simply too inconsistent and doesn't have a good enough "overall" game to be worth the money he'll want, also he's not very consistent either.

Green I would prefer HIGHLY but I don't see him having more than 2 years left (unless he proves us wrong), if he's wanting 3-4 years that's too high of a risk

*it's actually incredible, the announcers made a comment about the ball MVS caught on the winning drive b/c he didn't finish the route earlier in the game... a SIMPLE drag route, but an easy completion and in the NFL today you NEED guys who can run and finish those routes to move the chains

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Lazard can continue to progress we may be fine in just drafting a guy... and maybe getting Sanders or Amendola... you really want another underneath guy who can get open and run those drag routes

Lazard is starting to show he has some underneath game and can beat defenders one on one on slants now which will be HUGE if you have DAvante on the other side

Roll this post back one year and where you have Lazard, change it to MVS. While I am not saying that Lazard can't be a good WR overtime, I think it would be a big mistake to repeat the same mistake 2 years in a row and over rely on him to be as early as next season.

Although I do like your idea of "Draft a WR (high I hope) and sign a Veteran as well." :)

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I'm hoping we can get Greg Jennings 2.0 in the draft.

A guy who can run the skinny post and get open and run the slants and drags

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess we will agree to disagree on this, as well as your definition of "A Lucrative contract". If AJ Green is medically cleared, $9M/year would be a bargain and not a lucrative contract by NFL standards IMO.

Aaron Rodgers was barely on the field in 2017 and hobbled much of 2018, should the Packers have paid him what they did?

Green was medically cleared entering training camp this season but missed all of it after suffering an ankle injury in a practice which was considered minor at first. There's no reason to trust him being able to get back on the field and be productive, let alone pay him $9 million a season to give it a try.

Rodgers signed an extension with the Packers before the 2018 season, at which point the team definitely had a pretty good idea about his collarbone being healed. It was a risky move by the team nevertheless.

He’s asking for a long term contract (who wouldn’t at 32yrs :rolleyes:) but that might be a strategy that works to our favor in competing fir him. Either GB risking too much $ short term, or risk a longer contract. Take your pick.
Personally I think AJ would sacrifice yearly a bit $ to get locked in (3-4 years) I also believe a wise agent would be more likely to select a team with an upper echelon QB and likelihood of making the playoffs regularly. Not to mention some geographic advantages
On our side, I think he’s worth the risk up to a 4yr/40-50M range (depending on incentives n guaranteed) with a contract “out” his last season (similar to Graham’s 3/30). That also leaves GB space to leverage his year to year payout and go after another reasonable veteran FA or 2 this offseason.

I'm sorry but it would be absolutely crazy to offer Green a four year deal averaging more than $10 million a season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Green was medically cleared entering training camp this season but missed all of it after suffering an ankle injury in a practice which was considered minor at first. There's no reason to trust him being able to get back on the field and be productive, let alone pay him $9 million a season to give it a try.

Rodgers signed an extension with the Packers before the 2018 season, at which point the team definitely had a pretty good idea about his collarbone being healed. It was a risky move by the team nevertheless.

Green was medically cleared to practice on 6/8 after his off season toe surgery. That had nothing to do with the ankle injury he suffered on 7/28 while practicing on a field which was being called "subpar conditions". He had surgery on the ankle to repair ligament damage and it was hoped that he could return at some point in the season.

Again, you and I can speculate and discuss his injury all that we want, but neither of us know all the details for sure. I agreed with you that I would not sign him if his injury status was questionable. I don't think either of us would support signing a player for that kind of money, if their injury status is remotely questionable.

I get the feeling that even if Green's ankle was declared 100%, he is someone that you would not want to see the Packers sign and I respect your opinion, I just happen to disagree. Does he have a higher risk for injury than a 25 year old? Most definitely, but he has the skills of a top 10 WR in the NFL and if his ankle is 100% healed and his contract reflected his higher injury risk, I would take it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his body is breaking down. Maybe it was just bad luck, but he's at a point where I'd never invest 3-4 year money in him. not a chance. He wants to come for a marginal amount on a 1 year deal, sure, sign me up. I see too many red flags for any substantial money though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think his body is breaking down. Maybe it was just bad luck, but he's at a point where I'd never invest 3-4 year money in him. not a chance. He wants to come for a marginal amount on a 1 year deal, sure, sign me up. I see too many red flags for any substantial money though.

Nor would I want to see the Packers give him a 3-4 year deal for that reason. Honestly, I don't think the Packers even take much of a sniff at AJ. Partly due to how the Jimmy G thing worked out and I think some team with a lot of cap space will be willing to give Green a longer term contract for more than $9M/year. I can see AJ in Vegas next year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if the price is 9M I hope Green Bay is doing nothing but laughing at the team that did that deal.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I’m heading rumblings out of Dallas That they may not resign him this offseason..and that he was at odds with the coaching staff for benching him on the last drive in Philly for “poor performance”. This guy has Packer written all over him. Best route runner in football and we’ve all seen him take over a game (ask Jaire). Him and Adams will be a fantastic tandem. How much is he going to want tho? Rodgers takes a pay cut and we get rid of Graham, and they can probably get him for 2/3 yrs 12 mil per year.
I don’t know Cooper has a ton of talent but play is up and down Devante is one of the most consistent WR in the NFL, Cooper would definitely be and up grade from Graham, hell any receiver would, I would like to know what do we give up for, I know I’m to get hit with stats so let’s have it..

Members online

Latest posts