Am I the only one

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looking at this draft and thinking there are maybe 2 or 3 'hits' that could help us immensely, and the rest we'd be throwing dice on?

I no longer believe in Te'O because he ran a full tenth slower than expected which puts him at least that much slower than Hawk. Ogletree, Minter come from a conference that usually doesn't turn out stud linebackers, so we won't get help inside or outside. Not to mention Te'O will probably go at either 22 or 24 to Minnesota if 'experts' are to be believed.

Tyler Eifert will go with the other Minnesota 1st if the experts are to be believed, so we won't get him unless Ted wants to trade up to get him, which Ted usually doesn't do.

There are only 2 Centers worth taking, Jones is coming off a bad knee injury and I don't think we'll get a shot at Cave unless we take him in the first, which is a bit high for my tastes, I mean Mike Webster he ain't.

DT I don't really see anyone worth taking like there was the last couple years.

Safety IMO it's Zeke Motta or bust.

RB Lacy is too slow, and Ball won't hold up I don't think so I'd rather not waste a pick on him.

WR is another 'not deep' position with talent. I like Emory Blake IF he can learn the system quickly, if not I wouldn't draft him.

OLB if we're looking at that position is full of guys that are undersized or being moved from end to OLB in the pros, thereby don't have the experience. Jarvis Jones I believe is projected to play outside, but he's one good hit with that neck from joining ******* on ESPN College Gameday. I wouldn't take him if we had 250 picks.

O-Line, let's be honest this is Ted's worst area to draft. More busts per capita in this group for him than the rest of the team combined, not to mention I don't see a stud tackle that could start.

Players I like this year: Zeke Motta, Tyler Eifert, Braxton Cave, Barrett Jones, and we have to get at least Motta and one of the Centers.

Bright spot: Next year I see 4 guys already without them taking a snap in their senior years that could immensely help green bay either in a sign and start or sign and develop capacity, so while this year is crap, next year should be talent rich.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think 2-3 is generous, and you're way too high on Notre Dame players. Motta has great intangibles, but would fail miserably in our system. You're also too down on this year's draft. It's not ****, but it's more than solid.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not that I'm too high on them. They're one of the 2 teams I watch religiously, so I'm more versed in their players abilities' than other teams, nothing more. Kind of like I know Packers strengths and weaknesses more so than any other NFL team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Te'o didn't time well? And you compare him to Hawk?

Hawk is faster, believe it or not, than CM3. More athletic also, if all you did was look at the combine numbers. But watching them play, you would never realize that. CM3 plays faster than Hawk. And Te'o plays faster than his combine numbers would tell you. I wouldn't be shocked if we took him - personally, I would prefer not taking him. True story, a draft pick this year went to a track training camp prior to the combine. He is an OL, I forget his name (he was interviewed on NFL radio). He said he was able to improve his 40 time by 0.3", just by learning how to start. Knowing how to start in a track race, has absolutely nothing to do with how well you play football.

I most disagree with you on the DTs. There are some excellent players that should be there at 26.

Sylvester Williams
Jesse Williams
Kawaan Short

These 3 will likely have good NFL careers, just don't expect an immediate impact. Give them 2 or 3 years to develop. Who knows, maybe Sheldon Richardson or Star Lotuleli inexplicably drop, stranger things have happened. Both of those would provide an immediate impact. In the 2nd round there are another 5 or 6 big DL that would start looking like value picks.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did forget about Jesse Williams when I said there are no good DTs this year. I realized it as I read another thread. My apologies for that. About Te'O, he is smarter, and has better instincts than Hawk does as well, BUT if he plays slow at the pro level it could be a detriment. Thing about Hawk is (and I watched his runs) he ran 4.61 at the combine, when he was projected to run in the 4.5s because he stumbled off the blocks, also his 4.61 was when he was projected as a 3-4 OLB, not ILB. To me, he is deceptively slow. Lotuleli I was wrongly under the impression was a DE not a DT.

Overall though, from watching 2 Spring games this year, and having not yet watched a 3rd off of my DVR I can honestly say there are anywhere from 5-8 guys right now that could improve the team, IF they were available this year, and will improve the team when they are available next year.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did forget about Jesse Williams when I said there are no good DTs this year. I realized it as I read another thread. My apologies for that. About Te'O, he is smarter, and has better instincts than Hawk does as well, BUT if he plays slow at the pro level it could be a detriment. Thing about Hawk is (and I watched his runs) he ran 4.61 at the combine, when he was projected to run in the 4.5s because he stumbled off the blocks, also his 4.61 was when he was projected as a 3-4 OLB, not ILB. To me, he is deceptively slow. Lotuleli I was wrongly under the impression was a DE not a DT.

Overall though, from watching 2 Spring games this year, and having not yet watched a 3rd off of my DVR I can honestly say there are anywhere from 5-8 guys right now that could improve the team, IF they were available this year, and will improve the team when they are available next year.
Not sure what it matters if he was 3-4 OLB or ILB, that would not change his speed. As far as Totuleli goes - DT or DE is kind of murky. He is big, powerful, and quick. He would work very well at either.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts