Am I the only one who is enthusiastic about this season

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we are 0 - 2 and have lost 2 home games but I think we have made huge strides from preseason and week 1 to week 2. In week 2, we pass protected much better and we were able to move the ball "AT WILL" when Bubba and the rookie werent dropping passes. Why is Bubba Franks still on this team. The guy was pretty useless before. It used to be he would catch a 4 yard pass, run for one or two more yards and frump to the turf after getting arm tackeled by a 170 pound db. Now he cant even catch the ball. David Martin looked great last week and dont be suprised if he is the full time tight end from here on out.

I know we are going into Detroit and we never win in Detroit, but the Lions suck too and i think we win this one. In week one, we were able to run the ball, and last week we pass protected better. I think we will start to bring it all together this week and in the coming few weeks. If we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot, we can still make playoffs this year or at least win 8 or 9 games. Maybe im crazy but i believe.

As far as our defense, i think we played great vs the bears and pretty well vs the saints also. Its easy to say "we gave up 26 points and then 30 something". But when a team has a short field to travel, its easy to rack up points. Dropping passes and fumbles is how you give people good field position.

As far as the QB play. I dont have one problem whatsoever with any of Favres interceptions so far this season. All of the ones vs Chicago were late in the game when we needed to score in a hurry and a 3 yard dump off were useless. At some point, your guys have to make a play. Otherwise just run it up the middle and run the clock out and settle for a 13-0 loss instead of 26-0. The interception vs the Saints in the endzone was unfortunate but it really was nobodys fault. He was in the passing motion and he got hit, plain and simple. Unavoidable there.

I know most people will say that im stupid for saying we have a playoff shot or a shot to salvage our season. But, when we stomp on the Lions today, watch how your opinion sways a little bit to my way of thinking. I see us being 5 -3 going into that Minesota game after losing to Philly 30-26 and beating St. Louis, Arizona, Miami, and Buuufalo.

Enter rude & condescending coments below :)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im enthusiastic.

We have a lot of young studs in the making, and it is going to be fun to watch them improve almost weekly.

And will the coaching improve? Will it get worse? WHO KNOWS! Thats one of the reasons I watch every week(when its on f'n TV here)!

As far as a playoff shot...I dont think so, but crazier things have happened. We do have the talent, but a lot of them were just put in and theres no gellin(you gellin?) just yet.

It's exciting.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take the Lions defensive line any day of the week over what we have on our defensive line. If our offensive line can stand up to them and deliver today I will be hugely suprised. I don't think our defense to this point in time has delivered the good that we thought they would. Why that is, I'm not sure. Perhaps Mannual and Woodson were over rated, or perhaps they haven't hit their stride yet. I just know that this defense gives up too many third and long first downs. When your defense can't get off the field, bad things always come as the result. Our offensive line is very weak and everyone by now should clearlly understand that everything positive on offense begins with the line play. My point being, if you give Brett enough of an opportunity and if he doesn't implode by not go through or have time to go through his reads, he's going to give us a chance to score. Brett's biggest problem has always been that sometimes he tries to create things that just aren't there. The argument however will be that he has succeeded plenty of times at doing that.

To answer your quest9ion, I think you're one of the few who is enthusiastic about our teams chances this year. I think everyone on this board is enthusiastic about the Packers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
I would take the Lions defensive line any day of the week over what we have on our defensive line.

really? Our d-line is pretty awesome...The lions is damn good, but ours...isnt a joke.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive watched both games. The Saints defense is no joke and we dominated them offensively when our guys didnt drop passes. Hopefully Koren Robinson can bring some consistency to the receiver position and Jennings can take his rightful place on the bench as a rookie or as the # 3 receiver. If we had Javon Walker, we would be 1 - 1 instead of 0 - 2. You just cant drop balls in this league and Javon was a big play guy. We traded Javon for a second rounder. In essence we traded Javon for Jennings. If we just had bitten the bullet and paid the guy what he's worth, we would have a legit shot at playoffs. With Javon 2-1, without Javon possibly 0 - 3 maybe 1 -2. I guess he was worth the money TT.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No ur not. I still get just as exited in the week leading up to the game as i ever have. weather there wining or not there still the Green Bay Packers!

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
No ur not. I still get just as exited in the week leading up to the game as i ever have. weather there wining or not there still the Green Bay Packers!

That is right what you said ago. I agree. I think we might pull this season off yet. Holmgren started off 0-2 too.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerChick this team isn't even on the same planet as Holmgrens first team. This is a team without any stars. Even Brett Favre is no longer viewed as a major player.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely think we can win tonight. I predict:
Hawk will make his first NFL sack
David Martin TD
2 DB interceptions by the Packers
Good games from Jennings, Collins and Kampman stepping up again.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your optimism. I liked pretty much everything I saw vs the Saints except the dropped passes, the DBs, and giving too much time to the opposing QBs.

I'd like to take this season one game at a time. To beat the Lions:
1) This will annoy a lot of you, but pass first, run second. Use the running game more in the 2nd half. Favre, whether we want to believe it or not, is still the highlight of our offense. Favre and Driver are our best offensive weapons. If Green would actually hang on to the ball, let's throw in some screens to. Keep them off balance.

2) Put some pressure on the QB. Like I've said a million times, ANY QB in the NFL is good with 5 seconds to throw the ball. Blitz, and switch around blitzes. Keep the opposing QB on his toes. Blitz with Harris. he's good at it. Blitz with Manual, for we all know he can't cover anyways. Blitz with Carroll. I know nobody here likes Carroll, but I see him as tons of potential with bad coaching. You give that kid good coaching and he'll be good.

We do those two things, we'll win big against the Lions. And I really mean big, like 42-21. Favre is still explosive, but we have to hang on to the f******** ball. Our DBs suck partly because the opposing QBs have so much time to throw, but mostly because of miscommunication. If the QB thinks he only has 3 seconds instead of five, he won't be able to exploit them for the big plays like in the first two games.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm excited, not so much in anticipation of a playoff run or super bowl, because the team isn't ready for that yet, but to see the development of our core of young players. As long as they get better each game they can definitely compete next year. As I type this, Greg Jennings 75 yard TD. That is why I am excited.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
I know we are 0 - 2 and have lost 2 home games but I think we have made huge strides from preseason and week 1 to week 2. In week 2, we pass protected much better and we were able to move the ball "AT WILL" when Bubba and the rookie werent dropping passes. Why is Bubba Franks still on this team. The guy was pretty useless before. It used to be he would catch a 4 yard pass, run for one or two more yards and frump to the turf after getting arm tackeled by a 170 pound db. Now he cant even catch the ball. David Martin looked great last week and dont be suprised if he is the full time tight end from here on out.

I know we are going into Detroit and we never win in Detroit, but the Lions suck too and i think we win this one. In week one, we were able to run the ball, and last week we pass protected better. I think we will start to bring it all together this week and in the coming few weeks. If we can stop shooting ourselves in the foot, we can still make playoffs this year or at least win 8 or 9 games. Maybe im crazy but i believe.

As far as our defense, i think we played great vs the bears and pretty well vs the saints also. Its easy to say "we gave up 26 points and then 30 something". But when a team has a short field to travel, its easy to rack up points. Dropping passes and fumbles is how you give people good field position.

As far as the QB play. I dont have one problem whatsoever with any of Favres interceptions so far this season. All of the ones vs Chicago were late in the game when we needed to score in a hurry and a 3 yard dump off were useless. At some point, your guys have to make a play. Otherwise just run it up the middle and run the clock out and settle for a 13-0 loss instead of 26-0. The interception vs the Saints in the endzone was unfortunate but it really was nobodys fault. He was in the passing motion and he got hit, plain and simple. Unavoidable there.

I know most people will say that im stupid for saying we have a playoff shot or a shot to salvage our season. But, when we stomp on the Lions today, watch how your opinion sways a little bit to my way of thinking. I see us being 5 -3 going into that Minesota game after losing to Philly 30-26 and beating St. Louis, Arizona, Miami, and Buuufalo.

See, i told you so. I just wish we had somebody decent to replace Green. His fumbling has cost us many many games in the past and it almost happened again today. If you take away ridiculous fumbles, this game would have been a blowout. Unreal.

Im glad we won though. And its nice to see everyone on here buzzing. The forum atmosphere is much more positive.

I still dont think we can keep the game close till the end in Philly at this point in the year unless we play turnover FREE football. But, i do belive we will be 4-4 or 5-3 at the half way point in the year still. At that point, we control our own destiny.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
flapackfan said:
flapackfan said:

See, i told you so. I just wish we had somebody decent to replace Green. His fumbling has cost us many many games in the past and it almost happened again today. If you take away ridiculous fumbles, this game would have been a blowout. Unreal.

Im glad we won though. And its nice to see everyone on here buzzing. The forum atmosphere is much more positive.

I still dont think we can keep the game close till the end in Philly at this point in the year unless we play turnover FREE football. But, i do belive we will be 4-4 or 5-3 at the half way point in the year still. At that point, we control our own destiny.

I would be shocked if this is the case, but you never know. We beat the lowly Lions. If this team could even be competitive with a decent team, than my opinion may change.

It just goes to show you where we are at in Packer history when a win over the Lions gets us excited. Don't get me wrong however, it was a much needed win and Favre moved closer to breaking Dan Marino's record. That is my Super Bowl this year, this team likely will win 4-5 games but as long as Brett breaks the record it was a success to me.

OP
OP
F

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[/quote]

I would be shocked if this is the case, but you never know. We beat the lowly Lions. If this team could even be competitive with a decent team, than my opinion may change.

It just goes to show you where we are at in Packer history when a win over the Lions gets us excited. Don't get me wrong however, it was a much needed win and Favre moved closer to breaking Dan Marino's record. That is my Super Bowl this year, this team likely will win 4-5 games but as long as Brett breaks the record it was a success to me.[/quote]

I hope you are wrong for our sakes. This week is the major test. Philly has defense comparable to Chicago with a good offense to go with it. Our offensive strategy has changed from week one to week 3. We used alot of shotgun with max protect. What i mean is keeping a running back and shifting the tight end on the other side of the quarterback in almost a two runningback formation. When the defense brings pressure, the tight end stays in to help block. When the defense lays back, the running back and tight end slip out into the flats and over the middle as an outlet to the quarterback. I think this was one of our most effective formations. I dont see why it shouldnt work against any defense. I didnt see us do this vs the Bears. Good adjustment by the coaching staff i think.

GO PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
To answer your question, I think you're one of the few who is enthusiastic about our teams chances this year. I think everyone on this board is enthusiastic about the Packers.

I agree, most here are big fans and enthusiastic about "their" team. That being said, we each have our own expectations for this year and I would think the majority do not see playoffs in the cards. Seeing young players and coaches develop, and seeing improvement over the course of the year would make the season enjoyable for me.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly spardo... im not writing us off as a 4-12 team just yet... building confidence with wins... you never know what could happen.

but your right... seeing the coaches make good decisions, young talent developing and being in games and not gettin killed will make this season for me.

Latest posts