All Time Favorite Packer Players?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Narrowing it down, and I am not old enough to have watched and grown to love those old time 60's teams. It starts with the Lynn ****ey Era, and then almost 20 horrible years.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

#2-

#3-

#4-

#5-TIE

I loved Robert Brooks. That guy was a faster version of Donald Driver. But he suffered a horrible knee injury in the 1996 season, against, the 49ers in Lambeau (like Kampman and Al Harris did too). Had he had the good luck with health that Donald did, he would have set a record that Donald couldn't have caught.... but Sterling Sharpe would have set numbers neither of them would have sniffed had he not suffered the neck BS injury. Sterling doesn't make my list now even though I loved him then, because he wasn't a good dude, wasn't very fan-friendly like Donald and Robert were.

Ryan Pickett edges Gilbert Brown for me as a tie-5th as the better longer-lasting fat guy.
Pickett is an A+ great PERSON, and his work in the trenches has been fantastic and almost-always goes unnoticed and un-recognized by the fans and the idiot national broadcasters who only notice DL if they make sacks or get called for penalties.

Nick Collins was so great and nobody realized it.
He's a better tackler than any other safety we have had in a decade, now especially.
AND he's a better free safety, cover guy, ballhawk than anyone else we have now, by far.
He would be the best safety in the NFL right now, right there with Earl Thomas.
And he also, like Pickett, Brooks, Driver, are great people and great family men. All great men of faith, not coincidentally, as was Al Harris and Aaron Kampman, two more who just missed my list.

Woodson was so great when we had him. He was the NFL DPOY rightly-so. And could have won it another year.
In that Super Bowl win, for 29 minutes, the Steelers couldn't pass. Big Ben's passer rating was like 60 and the Packers led 21-3.
From the moment Woodson broke his collar bone, Ben's rating was well over 100. He was such a key cog, and he made so many huge plays that changed or sealed games. We were lucky to get him, and lucky he had worn out his Oakland welcome so bad that nobody else wanted him as a cornerback! Teddy never would have landed him had just one team wanted him as a CB. Woodson did not want to come to the Village.

But clear #1 for me is Reggie White.
The internet was just in its infancy during that spring that Ron Wolf was courting Reggie as THE BIG free agent of all-time.
We were a longshot, with the 49ers and Redskins considered the 2 heavy favorites.
I checked the internet all the time during that period of time..... and when he shocked everyone and came to Green Bay, it was HUGE NEWS. Wolf won the battle for THE marquee superstar that everyone wanted.
Can you imagine that happening nowadays?

Reggie, in the late 80's-90's, was the BEST player on defense in the NFL, and we got him.
He immediately made our defense great or good-great.
He came up big in a game I was at in I think 1994 vs Denver where we almost blew a big lead, but Reggie finished the game with back-to-back sacks on Elway.
And then in the Super Bowl, he got Bledsoe I think 3 times.

I just wish the defense would have stopped Terrell Davis and gotten that 2nd Super Bowl with a repeat.

They sing "Only the good die young". With him, Walter Payton, and Payne Stewart, it seems true.
RIP Reggie.

And thank you.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brooks, Woodson, and Collins, plus Sterling Sharpe.... all 4 careers cut WAY SHORT because of BS injuries.
I want to kill the injury-fairy if I ever find her......

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.Don Hutson
2. Bart Starr
3. Ray Nitschke
4. Brett Favre
5. Jerry Kramer
5.(tie)Reggie White

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Narrowing it down, and I am not old enough to have watched and grown to love those old time 60's teams. It starts with the Lynn ****ey Era, and then almost 20 horrible years.
To pick a nit, the ****ey era was smack dab in the middle of the 29 year drought. Starting ten years after Lombardi, led by ****ey in 1983, the Packers offense lit up the league. Less than ten years later was the dawn of the Wolf / Holmgren / Favre triumvirate.
My favorite forgotten Packer as he was the starting QB when I was on the schoolyard / backyard teams.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My favourite Packer ever was Reggie White. His signing made it possible for Ron Wolf to get good value out of free agency, which was a major factor in the reshaping of this team from a 30 year punching bag to a perennial playoff team. His play on the field was unmatched- I still can't think of another DE who could take over a game for as long in his career has Reggie did- some have done it for spurts, but not for over a decade. On top of that, his charity work became the template for modern athletes period. Urban Hope is arguably the most transformative charity founded by an athlete, living or deceased nearly 15 years after Reggie played his last down.

I loved Aaron Kampman. He was a blue collar, earnest, pedal to the floor guy. His full page thank you after he signed with Jacksonville was a bright light in the world of free agency. He was a leader by example, and I kind of wish he was around to develop as a coach. I think his consistency is something that rubs off on people.

Dorsey Levens was a fave. I totally dug how he put it to whoever was trying to tackle him- I remember John Madden raving about how he refused to let the defines tackle him without taking punishment. He was an all around back and a tremendous teammate.

Don Majkowski was awesome- I remember his game clinching TD to Sterling Sharpe over Chicago in the late 80's. The eye black and that shock blonde hair was a trademark, and he took a terrible beating and kept making plays. A heart and soul guy.

Although I never saw him play, Ray Nitschke is there too. He casts such a long shadow- he was such a dominating presence on defines despite limited speed and range- he just found a way to win. He was mean and tough, and I wish our defense had teeth like that- one thing I envy about Chicago is that their identity remains tied so closely to defence that is stingy, hard hitting and punch you in the mouth- our D used to be their equal in that regard- would love it if we had three or four guys like that now that could take the heart and wind out of opponents several times a game.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no particular order mine would be... Favre, Rodgers, Woodson, Finley, Ahman Green.

Favre- for obvious reasons yes there have been hiccups along the way but he will always be one of my favorites.
Rodgers- for how damn good he is and how he carries himself on and off the field. I thought the way he handled the transition between him and Favre about as professionally as anyone could have.
Woodson- I don't really know why I was drawn to him like I was. He might be my favorite Packer of all time, and hearing him speak yesterday on Milwaukee radio made me realize how much I miss him being here.
Finley- There is one particular play that sticks out to me with him and it wasn't a play that he was even involved in. It was against Carolina back in 2008, and the play ended up only resulting in a 15 yard roughing the passer penalty on Julius Peppers. But on that play during a replay they showed Jermichael running a route and it was then that I really thought we had something. Sounds stupid I know but that started it for me. Then the 2nd half of 2009 when he went bannanas I was hooked. It is really frustrating for me to see him struggle like he has and now be injured.
Green- He was so good. One of my best memories of watching him was Wk 17 against the Broncos back in 2001 I believe. I was at the game and we were fighting for a playoff spot. We won the game handily, and Ahman broke off a 90+ yd TD. The best part of it was the Vikings were playing Arizona at the same time, and being in the stands with multiple people around us with radios listening to that game, and the crowd going absolutely nuts when Arizona knocked them off. Great Great memeory.

Members online

Latest posts