ALL PLAYOFF TALK----EVERYTHING

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The team I would most like the Packers to play next is the Lions. With the Packers rested and their best players on the field I think the Packers would win going away. But that’s very unlikely to happen. The next team I would prefer is the Falcons. The Packers spotted them 14 points at their place and still beat ‘em. And they embarrassed them at their place last year in the playoffs. The Packers match up well with that team. But IMO that’s somewhat unlikely to happen. Most likely IMO is the Saints beating the Lions by a wide margin and the Giants beating the Falcons by less of a margin. The good news for Packers fans is that would mean the Saints travel to San Fran and one of the two toughest teams for the Packers to play lose that game. The bad news is it would mean the Giants would travel to Green Bay and they are a pretty complete team, on both sides of the ball.

IMO the easiest road to the Super Bowl would be the Lions first and then the Falcons traveling to Lambeau for the NFC Championship game. But how likely is it the Lions will beat the Saints and the Falcons beat the Giants and then the 49ers? Ya, right: Not likely. But to win it all you gotta beat the best so bring ‘em on!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of those three, I'd have the Falcons first, then Lions, then Giants. The Giants will probably give us the most trouble, the Falcons the least and the Lions somewhere in the middle. The wildcard and 1st round is going to be very interesting to say the least.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell that to the Falcons who were the top seed last year and got rocked by your packers.

That's because the 2010 Packers weren't nearly as bad as their record last season, having lost all 6 games by a combined total of 20 points. Meanwhile, the Falcons weren't as good as their record indicated, getting 6 of their wins over the NFC West and the Panthers. It's true they barely beat us in a hard fought game during the regular season, but as I think this season proves, the Falcons largely over-achieved last year. You can't say the same for the Packers this year.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Atlanta can beat New York. But I have a hard time seeing it happening. The Falcons are a legit team when they give Michael Turner the ball and that is really the only way they are going to be able to compete with the Giants is if they hand it off to turner at least 25-30 times especially on the road up there. But for some reason they tend to forget Turner is on their roster. One week he'll have 10 carries for 50 yards and another week he'll have 25 carries for 150 yards. There is no consistency with the Falcons.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell that to the Falcons who were the top seed last year and got rocked by your packers.
And the Patriots who were the #1 seed and got bumped by the Jets, and the 2007 Cowboys who got thumped by the Giants a week before we did.......

Records mean NOTHING once the tourney gets here.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Lions have not won in GB for a long long long time. The Packers seem to be in the heads of the Falcons. Those are the most favorable first games. The Giants have some pieces to give the Pack trouble and big game experience but are certainly beatable. The Giants have looked imposing at times this year but also very beatable losing games to the Seahawks, the Eagles with Vince Young and various other teams.

I am not sure how cold it will be for the Giants/Falcons game but early reports are not too bad. It depends. If the Falcons can control the tempo with the run game they have a real shot. If they don't then Matt Ryan might get killed by the pass rush. And on the flip side I wonder how much pressure the Falcons can really get on Eli.

However in some ways the Lions and Giants have some things in common to me. Sure the Giants have more big game experience but there are similarities; so so run game, high powered passing game, good to great d line with the rest of the D being vulnerable. The Falcons did get by the Lions too.

In the AFC the Ravens IMO should be the first seed but blew a few "easy" games. The Ravens can be underrated to me. They swept a tough division, beat the Texans, beat the Niners etc. They have been solid vs. winning teams. The Patriots are the favorites and should be but really have not beaten anyone this year worth getting excited over. It's been a fortunate schedule for NE. If the Ravens rely on Ray Rice on offense they are dangerous. If they get too pass happy they are in trouble.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I don't see the Falcons beating the Giants.

I do. The Giants have been wildly inconsistent this year. I think a lot of folks on this board overrate them because they seemed to have had a good game against the Pack. But appearances are deceiving. And I think a lot of folks underrate the Falcons this year, yet they are a very good team.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure if this will be moved or merged.....

Packers will open by hosting the Lions or Falcons or Giants.

Thoughts?

Most would probably prefer the Falcons. Then a toss up with the Lions/Giants.

The Saints should beat the Lions.
Giants Should beat the Falcons.
Dome teams from warm weather do not fare well in the cold.

The Giants should playing Green Bay....
I was at Metlife last night......
That team is clicking on both sides of the ball.
Its the only team I fear coming into Lambeau.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am less concerned about the Giants than earlier, because the Packer OL is getting healthy and is much better than they were when they faced the Giants before.

The Giants defense is getting healthy too... The Offensive line was not why that game came last minute field goal.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I may be having a change of heart the more I think about this. I have been called a homer or whatever at times for saying I am not as fearful of the Saints as some. But, I am honest, I just am not that fearful of them right now. Even week 1 I felt they they were constantly trying to play catch up to the Packers and were never truly going to win the game. And I just still don't know if I trust the Saints out doors and in road games. I am not sure the Saints have ever won a real playoff road game? If they do this year I may fear them more. They are like a persian show cat. They are beautiful and glossy indoors and fabulous looking. You put them out doors for a while and they start to get matted up and look less intimidating to the regular cats.

If the Saints play the Packers it's not for a while anyway. And the Saints would have to beat the Lions, travel across the country and play the NFC suprise in the physical 49ers who are kind of "the ghosts" of the NFC this postseason in terms of lack of respect. Then if they win that game go back home and get ready to go to GB. They could run out of gas. A second seed would have done wonders for the Saints.

Now the Giants are a tough one. They are ridiculously up and down. But, they have more scrappy big game experience then the Saints with several of their veterans. They are used to playing in the cold. Eli can make a boneheaded mistake or two a game and so can their defense. But, Eli has also been extremely clutch/scrappy at times this year leading some comebacks and pulling out improbable wins.

The unpredictability of the Giants may scare me more deep down then the beautiful showy record setting of the Saints.

The divisional round could very well end up the toughest game if it's the Giants. Luckily for the Packers they will be at home and will have a healthy o line to protect Aaron.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The Giants defense is getting healthy too... The Offensive line was not why that game came last minute field goal.

True but I felt Aaron got knocked around a bit against the Giants. He also threw a stupid pick that one time which set up the Giants for an easy TD I felt. He won the game in the end but I felt it was tougher then vs. the Saints defense.

Eli has also won a playoff game before in GB and is better on the road I feel then Brees at times. Eli can be stupid and may not be called elite but he can give me Big Ben vibes at times in terms of pulling out big plays and drives when least expected.

Reaction score
I guess I am in the minority but I am not frightened of the Giants like everybody else seems to be. Whoever comes to Lambeau, the Pack has to be ready to play. Whomever it is, the Pack has already played them at least once this season so there aren't going to be any big shocks. I think the D will rise to the challenge. They have rightfully been talked about and now its time to shut the critics up.

The Jerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apples and Oranges. We bring a Helathy team with an A game. I have no fear of any team in the playoffs. We play like in KC. different story.

If my 49ers play at home there tough to beat. Last year with *********** as HC we almost beat the Saints. This year we have Lord Fangio operating the Defense along with a better db's. I have nothing but faith in my team, and I'd love to come into Green Bay and play you guys for the championship game. Brings back old memories. I was here earlier in the 2011 year asking about Flynn and of course his game this year he rocks the Lions. How I wish we woulda traded for him when we had the chance...Kid is special, very very special.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
If my 49ers play at home there tough to beat. Last year with *********** as HC we almost beat the Saints. This year we have Lord Fangio operating the Defense along with a better db's. I have nothing but faith in my team, and I'd love to come into Green Bay and play you guys for the championship game. Brings back old memories. I was here earlier in the 2011 year asking about Flynn and of course his game this year he rocks the Lions. How I wish we woulda traded for him when we had the chance...Kid is special, very very special.

Agree. I have been one of the few here if the only one high on the Niners chances in the divisonal round at times. I think they can do it. I would not bet on it but I won't count out a Jim Harbaugh team at any time.

I would also love to see a WC team win this weekend in the NFC. Not sure if it's possible though. The Falcons have a lot more pressure on them then the Lions though. The Lions really have nothing to lose.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Too many people assume that the Saints are just going to walk into Candlestick after polishing off the Lions and score 40 points and the 9ers won't be able to keep up. I think the 9ers are going to be much harder for the Saints to score on than that. NO's vaunted running attack may very well get shut down against the 9ers, and Brees may get more pressure on him than he's had all season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts