All is not lost, in fact things may be heading back too top.

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this moment the Packers are around 5 million under the cap. The Packers have not made any moves as far as trying to bring in a long term fix. Could Ted Thompson be waiting for the offseason?!!!! Did he know going in this was an evaluation year? Does he feel this team needs to take its lumps for 1 year instead of 5 or 10 like some NFL teams during a rebuilding process? Does he know Favre will be back next year for 1 final GOOD shot with the players they need?

Favre looks great and still has pleanty in the tank. HE IS STILL THE BEST!

Maybe the Packers did not make many defensive offseason moves because they needed to see exactly what they had. Slowik obviously did not shed any light on anything!!

Thompson also did not overpay for the two gaurds which would have put them in to cap jail.

I think the grand plan is pointing to next year! They want to see exactly what they have now, Favre is back for the finale next year, and they are going to spend money in the offseason to get Favre and the Pack back to the Super Bowl next year. Favre then retires and Rodges picks up the pieces and the Pack continues to roll for another 5 years until they have to retool again!!!!

I think they knew if they stayed healthy they could possibley make the playoffs this year, but not really go anywhere. Now that the injuries have popped up, the Packers still have not made any big moves to try and fix things this year, what does that tell you? I think it is all about the future........ We have to edure this season, but the Pack will be an elite team next year depending on what their needs are and if they have the money to bring the right guy's in. Thompson came in with a plan! He did not want to starting getting rid of guys until he knew exactly what he had ( which is what we are seeing this year) I am sure there are guys he is glad he kept around and guys he will let go at seasons end(Some defensive players have suprised me!!!!!). The bottom line is that the Packers did not overpay during this evaluation period and will be better off financially in the future because of it. They will have Ahman Green's money to spend next year! Maybe they will get a great back in the draft with a high pick, or even a DB, who knows!!!!

It is hard to watch, but I think Thompson knows what he wants to do and not mortgage that future now.

The Pack will challenge for and win The Super Bowl next year, Favre may even pull an Elway, but if not, Rodgers will pick up the reins and the dominant Packers will continue to challenge for the next several years.

I personally think he will dump Sherman at the years end, bring in his own guy to guide this team into the next dominant Packer era. I sense that the two year extension was just something to keep the peace. Thompson has 3 years, Sherman 2. Thompson has the final say on Sherman's fate. There is no reason Thompson would not buy out the final year of Sherman's contract if he felt he needed to. The only reason the extension was 2 years, is because there is no way Sherman would have taken 1. There was also no way Thompson was going 3.... He was and is still not sure about Sherman. 2 years was a "lets see" contract!

This is all speculation, but the more I watch this entire process, the more Thompson's plan is unfolding.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: All is not lost, in fact things may be heading back too

Packman4Favre said:
Maybe the Packers did not make many defensive offseason moves because they needed to see exactly what they had. Slowik obviously did not shed any light on anything!!

I think the grand plan is pointing to next year! They want to see exactly what they have now, Favre is back for the finale next year, and they are going to spend money in the offseason to get Favre and the Pack back to the Super Bowl next year. Favre then retires and Rodges picks up the pieces and the Pack continues to roll for another 5 years until they have to retool again!!!!

Now that the injuries have popped up, the Packers still have not made any big moves to try and fix things this year, what does that tell you? I think it is all about the future........ We have to edure this season, but the Pack will be an elite team next year depending on what their needs are and if they have the money to bring the right guy's in.

The Pack will challenge for and win The Super Bowl next year, Favre may even pull an Elway, but if not, Rodgers will pick up the reins and the dominant Packers will continue to challenge for the next several years.

This is all speculation, but the more I watch this entire process, the more Thompson's plan is unfolding.

Incredible! If the Packers entire team died in a plane crash I am sure that you would pick them to win the next game. You really believe that this is all just a plan to evaluate where the team is? That is by far the dumbest statement about a pro football season that I have ever heard. :crazy:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Phil,

You wrote: "Incredible! If the Packers entire team died in a plane crash I am sure that you would pick them to win the next game."

Perhaps you might want to type: "If the entire Packer team retired?"

Plane Crashes have taken way too many players.

Oct. 18, 1925 -- Marvin Goodwin, Cincinnati Red pitcher, in Houston.

March 31, 1931 -- Knute Rockne, Notre Dame football coach, in Kansas.

May 4, 1949 -- 22 members of Torino, the Italian soccer champions, in Turin, Italy.

Oct. 27, 1949 -- Marcel Cerdan, former world middleweight champion, en route to fight Jake LaMotta in Spain.

July 1, 1954 -- John McBride, Alabama halfback, killed in ROTC training flight in Texas.

Oct. 30, 1954 -- Wilbur Shaw, President of Indianapolis Motor Speedway, in Decatur, Ind.

Sept. 20, 1956 -- Tom Gastall, Baltimore Oriole catcher, in Maryland.

Nov. 27, 1956 -- Charlie Peete, St. Louis Cardinal outfielder, in Venezuela.

Feb. 6, 1958 -- Eight members of the English soccer champion Manchester United, in Munich.

Aug. 14, 1958 -- Six members of the Egyptian fencing team, in the Atlantic Ocean.

Oct. 30, 1958 -- Philip Scrutton, British Walker Cup golfer.

April 29, 1959 -- Joaquin Blume, Spain's European gymnastics champion, in Madrid.

Oct. 10, 1960 -- 16 members of the Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo football team, in Toledo, Ohio.

Feb. 16, 1961 -- 18 members of the U.S. figure skating team, in Belgium.

April 3, 1961 -- Green Cross, a first-division Chilean soccer team, in the Las Lastimas Mountains.

March 1, 1962 -- Johnny Dieckman, world fly-casting champion, in Chicago.

April 12, 1962 -- Ron Flockhart, Scottish racing driver, in Melbourne.

Feb. 15, 1964 -- Ken Hubbs, 22, Chicago Cub second baseman, in Utah.

July 24, 1966 -- Tony Lema, 1964 British Open champion, in Munster, Ind.

April 28, 1968 -- Six members of the Lamar Tech track team, in Beaumont, Texas.

Sept. 26, 1969 -- 25 members of Bolivian soccer team "The Strongest", in the Andes.

Oct. 2, 1970 -- 14 Wichita State football players, in Colorado.

Nov. 14, 1970 -- 37 Marshall University football players, in Huntington, W.Va.

Oct. 11, 1972 -- 30 members of a Uruguayan rugby club, in Chile.

Dec. 31, 1972 -- Roberto Clemente, Pittsburgh Pirate outfielder, from San Juan, Puerto Rico en route to Nicaragua to aid earthquake victims.

June 24, 1975 -- Wendell Ladner, New York Nets forward, in New York.

Dec. 13, 1977 -- 14 University of Evansville basketball players and coach Bobby Watson in Evansville, Ind.

Aug. 2, 1979 -- Thurman Munson, New York Yankee catcher, in Canton, Ohio.

Jan. 11, 1980 -- Bo Rein, LSU football coach, in the Atlantic Ocean.

March 14, 1980 -- 14 members of the U.S. amateur boxing team in Warsaw, Poland.

Aug. 16, 1987 -- Nick Vanos, Phoenix Suns center, in Romulus, Mich.

Dec. 8, 1987 -- 17 players of the Alianza Peruvian first-division soccer team in Lima, Peru.

Sept. 30, 1988 -- Al Holbert, six-time IMSA champion, near Columbus Ohio.

July 19, 1989 -- Jay Ramsdell, CBA Commissioner, in Sioux City, Iowa.

April 1, 1993 -- Alan Kulwicki, NASCAR's 1992 champion, in Blountville, Tenn.

April 28, 1993 -- 18 players and five team officials of Zambia's national soccer team in Libreville, Gabon.

July 13, 1993 -- Davey Allison, NASCAR driver, the day after a helicopter he was piloting crashed on the infield at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway.

April 18, 1996 -- Brook Berringer, Nebraska quarterback, two days before the NFL Draft, when the small plane he was piloting crashed in Raymond, Neb.

May 11, 1996 -- Rodney Culver, San Diego Chargers running back, in Florida Everglades.

Oct. 25, 1999 -- Payne Stewart, winner of the 1989 PGA Championship and a two-time U.S. Open winner, two miles west of Mina, S.D.

Jan. 27, 2001 -- Players Nate Fleming and Dan Lawson, and six officials associated with Oklahoma State's men's basketball team, in Beyers, Colo.

RP

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Phil,

You wrote: "Incredible! If the Packers entire team died in a plane crash I am sure that you would pick them to win the next game."

Perhaps you might want to type: "If the entire Packer team retired?"

Plane Crashes have taken way too many players.

RP
I will stick with my comment. If they retired then I am sure that there would be some here who were certain that those players would all come back and play if the fans just said pretty please.
Besides, I just read a thread here that starts with p@ck66 saying that the Packers coach should be shot and I did not see anyone asking him to change that idiotic statement.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Phil,

I did not mean to make you out as morbid ****** P@ck66 may actually shoot Sherman himself, I hope not, but he has a serious hatred for Mike. I have a serious feeling that M.S. and the Packers just need to go in different directions.

Your post just got me thinking about the many athletes who perished in plane crashes. Now I am going to lay my head on my pillow and think about all the great music that was lost in plane crashes.

Patsy Cline is the first one that comes to mind, then there is of course "The day the music died." "Good ole boys drinking whiskey and Rye.... Singing this will be the day that I die..... This will be the day that I die"

RP

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Phil,

I did not mean to make you out as morbid ****** P@ck66 may actually shoot Sherman himself, I hope not, but he has a serious hatred for Mike. I have a serious feeling that M.S. and the Packers just need to go in different directions.

Your post just got me thinking about the many athletes who perished in plane crashes. Now I am going to lay my head on my pillow and think about all the great music that was lost in plane crashes.

Patsy Cline is the first one that comes to mind, then there is of course "The day the music died." "Good ole boys drinking whiskey and Rye.... Singing this will be the day that I die..... This will be the day that I die"

RP
Oh no, I understood what you ment.
By the way, Patsy Cline is a distant relative on my mother's side of the family.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Philtration said:
Packman4Favre said:

Now that the injuries have popped up, the Packers still have not made any big moves to try and fix things this year, what does that tell you? I think it is all about the future........ We have to edure this season, but the Pack will be an elite team next year depending on what their needs are and if they have the money to bring the right guy's in.

Incredible! If the Packers entire team died in a plane crash I am sure that you would pick them to win the next game. You really believe that this is all just a plan to evaluate where the team is? That is by far the dumbest statement about a pro football season that I have ever heard. :crazy:

Phil, you are not funny at all.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hey RP. How did you do on your fishing trip? Any luck?

OP
OP
P

Packman4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Phil-

Why wouldn't this make sense? They did not mortgage the future this year, they did not overpay for exsisting players. They did not spend huge money on defensive players(infact they have found these defensive players to be better than they thought).

It did not matter what they did in the offseason this year, there was no way this team was going to be better than one and done again. So why spend the money?

They are getting a very good idea of what they really need on defense. The Packers had no idea what they had on defense before because Slowik did not teach anything!!!!!!! Now under Bates these players are learning and the Packers are better able to evaluate these guy's based on their physical skills. Last year there was so much confusion on defense that the Packers did not know if it was Slowik, the scheme, or the players lack of physical skills. The Packers are finding out who can play.

By finding these things out the Packers will know exactly where and how to spend the money next year. It would have been a guessing game last year bringing people in with little money to spend.

There is no question that if the Packers stayed healthy, they'd win this weak division. But for what? One and done! I am sick of 10 and 6 and 1 and done. How about a real shot at the Super Bowl w/Favre.

Thompson has come in here with the long term in mind, not another one and done season.

The Packers will have 1 bad season and be back on top. Unlike the Bears who still stink and are built!!!!! How many rebuilding years has it been for them? The Packers are not falling into that trap.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree that TT IS looking to the future...but what is he holding onto $5mil for? He can't carry it over into 2006. He sure as hell will not use it to re-sign Green or Davenport early while they have no negotiating leverage. He's not saving it to re-sign Longwell early. There are apparently no premier FAs out there who would demand signing bonus'. I wish I knew.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good point - maybe he's waiting for some specific event... A player being let loose...?

If ya can't take it with ya - might as well have a good time.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Panthers made the Super Bowl 2 years after going 1-15, and the Steelers turned it around quickly last year after a losing season the year before. If we do have a losing season, we need our young guys to continue to develop, and hopefully hit it big in the next draft.

In today's salary cap era, teams can turn around quickly if they have good management. We need TT to draft well.