All Injuries Thread

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting that Martinez played on special teams but only one defensive snap. I wonder if that was part of a plan to bring him back slowly from his knee injury, or simply game planning. He had been our starter.

Thomas moved past Martinez on the depth chart after the latter was injured at Washington. It was surprising to see him only play one snap on defense though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely disagree. Gunter is a strong, physical corner who does well when he jams receivers at the line. He's certainly not a #1 CB and was never billed as such. He doesn't have the speed but generally sticks with his guy. Randall's got the tools but his fundamentals and brain have been questionable this season.

Gunter failed several times yesterday when you watched the replays, either because he didn't jam the WR at the line at all, or merely put his arms out as he was already starting to back pedal. He needs to disrupt the route at the line to be effective.

I like Gunter as a depth guy. He runs like Ty Law did towards the end of his career but the kid knows how to play.

As for Randall I think that his brain farts will ultimately prove correctable. That he ocassionally turns in solid to good performances suggest that he is trying to fight through his injuries and struggles.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
You're calling out Gunther? Did you watch this team at all this season before the playoffs?He came out of camp as the #4 CB. Now in the playoffs you are asking him to cover THE Dez Bryant, arguably a top 5 WR in the league, man to man. That Dez only got 132 yards is a win in my book. You think Jordy would be happy with 130 yds vs the Cowboys #4 CB? Or Davante, who I'm sure would drool at the chance. As to Brice, there is a reason he plays defense and not WR.
Of course I'm calling him out he came out of camp #4 but he is the guy now and have seen him cover top receivers before, my comments were directed on effort, I'll call him out when you always have chasing a receiver 2yds behind

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Of course I'm calling him out he came out of camp #4 but he is the guy now and have seen him cover top receivers before, my comments were directed on effort, I'll call him out when you always have chasing a receiver 2yds behind
He may be the guy now but that doesn't mean he's better than a #3 or 4 CB. Just because you get the job via attrition doesn't give you the skill. At the moment he is still a year away IMO.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
He may be the guy now but that doesn't mean he's better than a #3 or 4 CB. Just because you get the job via attrition doesn't give you the skill. At the moment he is still a year away IMO.
My point is maybe I am singling him out but he is not the only DB problem just a noticeable one he plays up big Sunday I will gladly eat my words, comes up big in the SB I'll will praise and eat more crow, but being better than 3 or 4 now is irrelevant seeing that they are out and he is in

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My point is maybe I am singling him out but he is not the only DB problem just a noticeable one he plays up big Sunday I will gladly eat my words, comes up big in the SB I'll will praise and eat more crow, but being better than 3 or 4 now is irrelevant seeing that they are out and he is in
He was a big part of the defense that shut down Odell last week and Julio earlier this season.

Reaction score
I vaguely remember one guy who was highly critical of Bakhtiari's performances last season. That's how many posters versus the total number of them who are registered to post on this site?
Interesting. I also remember quite a few posters here and also on "ask Vick" being highly critical of Morgan Vick defended Burnette and said to take it easy on Morgan and that he was developing nicely and that we should be patient.
Because of this I learned a valuable lesson. I take back all the cuss words and inappropriate phrases that I have shouted at the t.v. that started with "you piece of" and ended with "Dom" ! :whistling:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Capers it's pick your poison. If he plays man on man, Gunter doesn't have the speed to cover and Rollins isn't physical enough. If he plays zone, the pass rush is too sporadic and the coverage is still soft. The "best" option is to play zone and hope for a penalty, poor throw or fumbled snap. At this point, the defense is going to get at most 3 to 4 stops per game and give up a lot of points. Capers won't get any sleep this week worrying about how to limit Jones and company. It would be nice if JP and CM3 came to play.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather see our guy a step behind chasing, than having 3 guys stand there in a "zone" watching the opposing team pick them apart... Its like we are slow to react in the zone. We don't see things coming. We only see them happening, then we react...

If we are going to play a zone, maybe there is a zone that moves around that would work better. When everyone is standing in one spot, its too easy to find the hole in our coverage it seems.

Reaction score
I would rather see our guy a step behind chasing, than having 3 guys stand there in a "zone" watching the opposing team pick them apart... Its like we are slow to react in the zone. We don't see things coming. We only see them happening, then we react...

If we are going to play a zone, maybe there is a zone that moves around that would work better. When everyone is standing in one spot, its too easy to find the hole in our coverage it seems.
Yeah. The Steelers game ended when they put away the Chiefs on a "zone" play when the Chiefs desperately needed a
3 n out. They would've been better off rushing 7 than letting Big Ben pick them apart one last time for a 1st down. A sack or a sack fumble or forced INT or just an incomplete pass would've been better than using a 260 LB to cover a Receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for Randall I think that his brain farts will ultimately prove correctable. That he ocassionally turns in solid to good performances suggest that he is trying to fight through his injuries and struggles.

While the injuries might be a factor in Randall´s poor play I can´t help but wonder if he´s too confident and perfectly prepared on every single snap to perform up to his potential.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the injuries might be a factor in Randall´s poor play I can´t help but wonder if he´s too confident and perfectly prepared on every single snap to perform up to his potential.
Not buying injuries. It's among other things , his technique, which is among the most horrendous I've ever seen. He looks /plays as if he has no idea what he's doing. Bench his ***.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Could be from playing next to Sam Shields his first season. Sam always had a habit of being too aggressive on the underneath stuff and trusting in his speed to make up for mistakes, he wasnt always able to get away with this. Then you have Randall who isn't quite as fast or quite as agile. IMHO if there's one person who could help him clean up his game it's Charles Woodson.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not buying injuries. It's among other things , his technique, which is among the most horrendous I've ever seen. He looks /plays as if he has no idea what he's doing. Bench his ***.

According to McGinn's all division team article a number of NFC personnel guys really liked him after his first year. This year though...

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Capers it's pick your poison. If he plays man on man, Gunter doesn't have the speed to cover and Rollins isn't physical enough. If he plays zone, the pass rush is too sporadic and the coverage is still soft. The "best" option is to play zone and hope for a penalty, poor throw or fumbled snap. At this point, the defense is going to get at most 3 to 4 stops per game and give up a lot of points. Capers won't get any sleep this week worrying about how to limit Jones and company. It would be nice if JP and CM3 came to play.

CM3 has become a 2 trick pony, either edge rush or inside stunt. He cant even threaten the bull rush anymore.

Edit: The sprained AC joint is clearly giving him problems. Right now we have mismatched parts. Perry Can't rush from the defensive right because he has a club on his left hand. Matthews is on the right but has looked much better attacking from the defensive left given that his left shoulder is still messed up.

Long term, Clay probably still could be an elite defender and maybe for years yet... if only he could cure the leg injuries he develops every season. I'm not hopeful, who knows maybe he could add some beef this offseason and become more of a straight ahead pass rusher.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately the Packers don´t have enough depth at the cornerback position to bench Randall.

CM3 has become a 2 trick pony, either edge rush or inside stunt. He cant even threaten the bull rush anymore.

Edit: The sprained AC joint is clearly giving him problems. Right now we have mismatched parts. Perry Can't rush from the defensive right because he has a club on his left hand. Matthews is on the right but has looked much better attacking from the defensive left given that his left shoulder is still messed up.

Long term, Clay probably still could be an elite defender and maybe for years yet... if only he could cure the leg injuries he develops every season. I'm not hopeful, who knows maybe he could add some beef this offseason and become more of a straight ahead pass rusher.

I´m not convinced the shoulder injury is still bothering Matthews that much. He had a phenomenal game against the Vikings lining up against the worst left tackle in the league but has had troubles being successful battling against above average tackles for quite some time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Randle is a secomd year player.
I´m not convinced the shoulder injury is still bothering Matthews that much. He had a phenomenal game against the Vikings lining up against the worst left tackle in the league but has had troubles being successful battling against above average tackles for quite some time.

I had the exact same injury in college. It tapers down at the 2-3 week mark and then just becomes something that becomes aggravated with a direct hit to the joint.

However, there also can be some restricted movement and partial loss of strength in that arm. I give Matthews a pass against Dallas but we really need him this Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, there also can be some restricted movement and partial loss of strength in that arm. I give Matthews a pass against Dallas but we really need him this Sunday.

Unfortunately Matthews has struggled to make an inpact in too many games this season to get a pass.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers don´t have enough depth at the cornerback position to bench Randall.

McGinn has suggested that Matthews might need surgery in the offense and has also concluded that Matthews is still playing hurt. Against a mediocre player a pass rusher can get away with doing 1 or two things very well, its different when youre up against a player who is arguably the best in the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what they said before, he's shooting it up every week to get on the field, he's pretty much assured himself of shoulder surgery this offseason.
MM said if this were the regular season, Allison and Adams probably wouldn't be playing this weekend too. That doesn't sound too great going into the weekend. I hope at least Adams is back. He's going to be important to the offense. I guess it's been like this every week this year. We'll see what they do on Sunday. It certainly ads to the uncertainty of the games :)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard anyone mention this so I did a little research on a hunch and there is a guy sitting on the PS who I could see getting activated if need be to fill in this week. They can find a way to BS IR Callahan as he is irrelevant right now. We have heard talk about drafting Christian McCaffrey this year.....but his older bro is already on the PS. Max McCaffrey. Weird thing is that he looks slow. Good hands, ok routes, but slow....and this was college so he could have cleaned up the routes.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't heard anyone mention this so I did a little research on a hunch and there is a guy sitting on the PS who I could see getting activated if need be to fill in this week. They can find a way to BS IR Callahan as he is irrelevant right now. We have heard talk about drafting Christian McCaffrey this year.....but his older bro is already on the PS. Max McCaffrey. Weird thing is that he looks slow. Good hands, ok routes, but slow....and this was college so he could have cleaned up the routes.

I highly doubt that Rodgers would trust an undrafted wide receiver that was signed to the practice squad only a month ago enough to target him in the NFCCG.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Herb Waters was a WR for the Packers before the season started and now on the roster as a CB. Guessing he could run some routes in a real pinch.

I think we are going to see G-Man and Davante suit up on Sunday, they may be hurting, but a SB is on the line. I wouldn't even be that shocked if there is room on the active list Sunday, Jordy suits up and is on it. If nothing else, play a little psychological warfare with Atlanta.

Members online

Latest posts