All Capers Threads merged

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't be the only one who thinks the Packers should do all their homework before letting anyone go.

I'm not saying take a month, but at least take a few days and do it properly. MM should be part of the decision and I'm sure he's spent lots more time this year preparing for games than evaluating Capers.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anything, Capers is good at times, but maybe even demote him to an assistance coach, but since Lovie's been hired a good DC could also be Jim Schwartz but the Browns are looking at him though.

Bignutz

I'm a victim of coicumstances!
Reaction score
I've wanted Capers fired as much as anyone, but Capers did not lose the game for us today. Sure we couldn't stop them on the final drive. But the injuries are to blame there. There's a reason Jarrett Bush only plays on special teams. But Capers kept us in the game, and our offense couldn't get it done. I think if someone told you Capers would hold the 49ers to 23 points today, most of us would take it knowing a Rodgers-led offense would usually score more than 30 points.
No doubt the defense kept us in the game today but Capers overall body of work leaves much to be desired! We need to go a different direction. We will never get back to the superbowl with a below average D that has a good game here and there. IMHO.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I'll say it again Coaches (Coach), players play the way they have been (Coached), the players play reflects on the way he has been (Coached) or lack of (COACHING)……ok now bring it….

NorthEast Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else want to talk about the play calling on 1st and goal down 3 in the 4th.

pitch to Cobb? WTF. Eddie was running downhill all game. If you are gonna try to run it in, that is Eddie's ball or even Starks.

NorthEast Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt the defense kept us in the game today but Capers overall body of work leaves much to be desired! We need to go a different direction. We will never get back to the superbowl with a below average D that has a good game here and there. IMHO.

I am no fan of Capers, but the Pack were an INT in and out of the hands of Mica Hyde away from a chance to win that game.

The game plan was (and should have been) keep Kapernick in the backfield and for the most part they did that. The 3 times he got loose led to 17 points. Jared Bush is simply not a very good football player in the NFL, so his loss of contain doesn't surprise me one bit.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No I wouldn't. We're losing Rodgers' prime years to a ****-poor defense. If our D was even half as good in 2011 we'd be back in the Super Bowl. Better D would put us on par with, or ahead of, the Niners, Seahawks and other elite teams.

We are an elite offense but the D needs to close the gap and step up and frankly I just don't think Capers is the one to do it.

Swap out Capers if you want but put jsut as much on Thompson. He's drafted a grand total of ONE above average defensive player in the past three years. That's a terrible number for any GM, let alone one that relies on the draft 100%.

Pack6817

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Swap out Capers if you want but put jsut as much on Thompson. He's drafted a grand total of ONE above average defensive player in the past three years. That's a terrible number for any GM, let alone one that relies on the draft 100%.
Fact is, we have plenty of young, fast talent on D. Guys are out of place every week... Over and over and over and over and again! Coaching, period! Bye bye capers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing is, I can give Capers some benefit of the doubt. Injuries to guys like Clay Matthews and Casey Heyward that definitely didn't make things easier (and injuries seem to be a recurring issue, maybe we should get rid of our strength & conditioning staff?). I can also be a bit forgiving as we have lost some key players and leadership in recent years in Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Desmond Bishop, Cullen Jenkings, Nick Barnett, etc etc. Our defense is also quite young, as we've added a lot of young guys like Nick Perry, Casey Heyward, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones, etc who have been asked to step in and contribute immediately.

So all in all I'm okay with having some growing pains over these last two seasons, but I would have liked to have seen some growth and progress from our defense, or at least from some of our young defensive players. And frankly I haven't seen that at all. And whether that was due to poor scouting/drafting by TT acquiring players who aren't good enough, or whether its just bad luck, the fact is the defense hasn't improved. If anything its gotten progressively worse. It may not be all Caper's fault, but the defense statistically (at least in terms of Total Defense rankings) has been on a consistent downward trend each year since he's taken over (with 2011 being the outlier as it was exceptionally bad) and i don't really see much reason to think it'll turn around.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't completely be against giving Capers one more year, but I wouldn't be against letting him go and going back to the drawing board defensively. Sometimes all it takes is some new blood and enthusiasm to get things jump-started. I mean look what happened when we installed Capers back in 2009, we went from being a bottom 7 defense to a top 5 defense 2 years in a row

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The thing is, I can give Capers some benefit of the doubt. Injuries to guys like Clay Matthews and Casey Heyward that definitely didn't make things easier (and injuries seem to be a recurring issue, maybe we should get rid of our strength & conditioning staff?). I can also be a bit forgiving as we have lost some key players and leadership in recent years in Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, Desmond Bishop, Cullen Jenkings, Nick Barnett, etc etc. Our defense is also quite young, as we've added a lot of young guys like Nick Perry, Casey Heyward, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones, etc who have been asked to step in and contribute immediately.

So all in all I'm okay with having some growing pains over these last two seasons, but I would have liked to have seen some growth and progress from our defense, or at least from some of our young defensive players. And frankly I haven't seen that at all. And whether that was due to poor scouting/drafting by TT acquiring players who aren't good enough, or whether its just bad luck, the fact is the defense hasn't improved. If anything its gotten progressively worse. It may not be all Caper's fault, but the defense statistically (at least in terms of Total Defense rankings) has been on a consistent downward trend each year since he's taken over (with 2011 being the outlier as it was exceptionally bad) and i don't really see much reason to think it'll turn around.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't completely be against giving Capers one more year, but I wouldn't be against letting him go and going back to the drawing board defensively. Sometimes all it takes is some new blood and enthusiasm to get things jump-started. I mean look what happened when we installed Capers back in 2009, we went from being a bottom 7 defense to a top 5 defense 2 years in a row
I'll disagree with you on this one. JSONLINE had an article about Capers' D and how it was geared toward vets but how he's had to essentially "dumb down" the D for our guys. If his system is that complex then I think we need another scheme better suited for the talent we DO have.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/238807841.html

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't be the only one who thinks the Packers should do all their homework before letting anyone go.

I'm not saying take a month, but at least take a few days and do it properly. MM should be part of the decision and I'm sure he's spent lots more time this year preparing for games than evaluating Capers.

MM has all control of the coaches

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll disagree with you on this one. JSONLINE had an article about Capers' D and how it was geared toward vets but how he's had to essentially "dumb down" the D for our guys. If his system is that complex then I think we need another scheme better suited for the talent we DO have.

datone jones was on Packer post game show and he let something slip...I didnt hear it but the hosts made mention of it later on..

datone said that some players were being selfish today..They wanted the glory, and wiffed..

The Bush issue was one of those plays

Capers can tell these guys what to do, but if the just throw caution to the wind, thats not on Capers

Pack6817

Cheesehead
Reaction score

All very lucid And well thought out points. I do believe that as frequent as these coverage breakdowns are that it must be schematic. When the ONE receiver we need to key on in a game ends up 10 yards free of any coverage time and again, and db's are globbed in bunches of three while Megatron flys free down the sideline... It's something deeper than a single man mistake. Once, ok. Three times, c'mon now. 30 times over the last two seasons... Enough! Something is fundamentally wrong in this scheme. Lack of pass rush with guys like Neal, Perry, Matthews. These guys are under achieving for sure. Why? I just believe it's time for change. Rodgers is in his prime, let's surround him with the best and win some championships here! If we had a D that could win us a game here or there, we'd be dangerous. Right now, they just never...ever...ever come through. And injuries? Yes, conditioning needs to be looked at as well. It may just be that guys are so strong and fast now that the joints and ligaments can't keep up? Bottom line, it is time for change. In this multi million dollar game, let's quit fartin around, and go get the best leadership to shape these talented young men into champs again...

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact is, we have plenty of young, fast talent on D. Guys are out of place every week... Over and over and over and over and again! Coaching, period! Bye bye capers...

Those guys could also be out of place because they are YOUNG and young players make mistakes. Having young players all over the place on defense will lead to blown assignments no matter who the coordinator/coach is. This team needs more experienced players to make an impact. You can't blame the coaches for Nick Perry not realizing it's zone coverage, you can't blame the coaches for Mulamba not maintaining gap discipline. Those are just young players ******** up.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Any scheme that caters to young, inexperienced players is going to be too simple to be effective. There isn't a a system out there that relies on as many young players as we have...or a system that works anyway.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Any scheme that caters to young, inexperienced players is going to be too simple to be effective. There isn't a a system out there that relies on as many young players as we have...or a system that works anyway.
You're probably right, that's why I'm just a MMQB who, like all of us, is frustrated with our D being the ***** in our armor that stops us from being serious SB contenders the last three years.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
All very lucid And well thought out points. I do believe that as frequent as these coverage breakdowns are that it must be schematic. When the ONE receiver we need to key on in a game ends up 10 yards free of any coverage time and again, and db's are globbed in bunches of three while Megatron flys free down the sideline... It's something deeper than a single man mistake. Once, ok. Three times, c'mon now. 30 times over the last two seasons... Enough! Something is fundamentally wrong in this scheme. Lack of pass rush with guys like Neal, Perry, Matthews. These guys are under achieving for sure. Why? I just believe it's time for change. Rodgers is in his prime, let's surround him with the best and win some championships here! If we had a D that could win us a game here or there, we'd be dangerous. Right now, they just never...ever...ever come through. And injuries? Yes, conditioning needs to be looked at as well. It may just be that guys are so strong and fast now that the joints and ligaments can't keep up? Bottom line, it is time for change. In this multi million dollar game, let's quit fartin around, and go get the best leadership to shape these talented young men into champs again...

datone jones was on Packer post game show and he let something slip...I didnt hear it but the hosts made mention of it later on..

datone said that some players were being selfish today..They wanted the glory, and wiffed..

Capers can tell these guys what to do, but if they just throw caution to the wind, thats not on Capers

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought, or at least was hoping that Capers’ job was on the line yesterday. If it was, he’ll be back as DC next season. Regardless of your (or my) opinion of his tenure in Green Bay, I don’t know how an objective observer can come to any conclusion other than that Dom Capers did a good job yesterday. His D gave up 23 points while causing one fumble (which unfortunately went out of bounds) and I saw them going after the ball more consistently than usual. Tramon had an INT of course and both Williams and Hyde had chances at INTs, one would have taken 3 points off the board and another could have won the game. At the same time, the offense did nothing in the entire first quarter. There is no way an objective fan can blame that game on Capers.

The team itself cannot use injuries as an excuse but it unrealistic for fans to ignore them. Capers was missing Jolly, who surprisingly had become a difference maker on the DL. For the entire season he was missing Heyward, who was a difference maker as a rookie, and of course he was missing the team’s best player on defense. That’s one difference maker at each level of the D. But he knew that going into the game and adjusted. Then very quickly he lost the team’s best cover corner and then Mike Neal, who was an important part of trying to replace Matthews. And his defense allowed 23 points.

Like it or not, Capers is very likely back for another season.
Nope, and the sad thing is it DOESNT EVEN SURPRISE ME anymore. I expect it with these brittle p*ssies.
Classy. :rolleyes:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Capers can tell these guys what to do, but if they just throw caution to the wind, thats not on Capers
Didn't I see you wrote somewhere that CAPERS CONTRACT IS UP?

Could this team's defense improve more with a new DC, like the Saints did from last year to this year under new DC Rob Ryan?

Or would we go backwards?

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the article, but are you sure that's the one you wanted to link to me? I got an article talking about analysts talking about how defense and offense were playing in different parts of the game, and breaking down how jarrett bush messed up his contain. But I didn't see anything about how Capers D and how it had to be dumbed down for our younger players (granted I think I've heard that before).

Anyways does my post really attempt to contradict that point (other than i wouldn't be completely upset if we decided to give him one more year)? My thought is i'm leaning towards finding someone new like you said, but i have the feeling Green Bay is going to keep him around

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't I see you wrote somewhere that CAPERS CONTRACT IS UP?

Could this team's defense improve more with a new DC, like the Saints did from last year to this year under new DC Rob Ryan?

Or would we go backwards?

Yes I heard Jason Wilde mention he believes Capers contract is up

Members online

Latest posts