All Capers Threads merged

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only our defense had been AVERAGE, last year vs SF, the year before vs NYG, the year before our Super Bowl vs Arizona, we might have had a little dynasty in there.
Just AVERAGE.

Our offense was historically great. I feel Capers and this defense have WASTED a nice chunk of time. Can't ever get that back.

But what will be best for next year and the next few years?

More Capers?

More 1st and 2nd round draft picks on Defense like:

Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, Datone Jones?
We rely 100% on the draft to get better. How does that work when your top picks don't have any impact, (and some fans don't even expect them to?)

Rodgers and Lacy can't play defense.

Need a better coach, and better talent. Those ILBs are so far below average.

Your points seem to indicate that the front office is the primary culprit on defense, not the coaches. I think the front offices losses over the past couple years have REALLY hurt Thompson's recent drafts on defense. Now add lack of playmakers to the amount of youth we're forced to play because guys are hurt or ineffective and that sums up to a terrible recipe for a defense. Thompson needs to either find some guys in the front office that can help with drafting defensive players and he needs to bring in some guys with experience that might not have the upside of a Nick Perry but also won't screw up the coverage scheme.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would anyone change their opinion of Capers based on todays game?
Of course, but only to an extent.
PLAYOFFS are what matter the most.
Today gives him a chance to erase some of the failings of the regular season.

Remember, we made Le'Veon Bell and DeMarco Murray look like they belong in Canton.
Also Matt Forte had 4 TDs and about 250 yards on this defense in 2 games.

But if Capers finally finds a way to shut down Kaepernick, like many other defense have, then he certainly desrves some credit.

Turnovers are needed IMO because the scheme won't do it. Need the luck of turnovers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your points seem to indicate that the front office is the primary culprit on defense, not the coaches.

Thompson needs to bring in some guys with experience that might not have the upside of a Nick Perry but also won't screw up the coverage scheme.
That's a great point and I agree with that.

He has to stop being so stubborn. He treats free agency like it's the plague. He acts like players are tainted if they play somewhere else.

He relies TOO MUCH on the draft to upgrade a team.
Look at our past top 2 picks: Datone Jones, Nick Perry, Jerel Worthy, Eddie Lacy.
One out of 4 has made us better. The other 3 are irrelevant.

Look at our 11 starters on defense. Pickett is the only one and that was like 7 years ago.

Look at other teams. They all have some good pieces, whether stars or reliable role players, that were added as free agents.

Hole should be filled if possible in free agency, and the draft used to add talent via the BPA theory.
Teddy has misfired a bit the past 3-4 years overall.
And he has failed to compensate for it in free agency.

Karlos Dansby.
Ahmad Brooks.
Justin Smith.
Michael Bennett.
Cliff Avril.
Donte Whitner.
Carlos Rogers.

These are just a few free agent additions to some good-great defenses.
Everybody tries to draft good guys. Ted just seems to think his picks are gonna be so much better than everyone else's that it compensates for ignoring adding pieces via free agency.

Back to Capers.

Unless we get some good breaks with turnovers today, I don't think his defense has a prayer of stopping the Niners today.

I hope so badly that I am wrong.... even though it would cost me some $$$$.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't really understate losing 2 starters early in the 1st
Nope, and the sad thing is it DOESNT EVEN SURPRISE ME anymore. I expect it with these brittle p*ssies.

But if that would have happened to the Niners defense?
Hell would have been frozen over, and pigs would have been flying.

WHy is it always like that?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
No I wouldn't. We're losing Rodgers' prime years to a ****-poor defense. If our D was even half as good in 2011 we'd be back in the Super Bowl. Better D would put us on par with, or ahead of, the Niners, Seahawks and other elite teams.

We are an elite offense but the D needs to close the gap and step up and frankly I just don't think Capers is the one to do it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the product on the field please. Not 1 all pro guy outside of Matthews. The dline is below average, the backers below average and the secondary is average at best. They defense hasnt gotten any better the past three seasons.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the product on the field please. Not 1 all pro guy outside of Matthews. The dline is below average, the backers below average and the secondary is average at best. They defense hasnt gotten any better the past three seasons.

Good points. And then their best corner goes down early. To me, the defense played well above their means today.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's time to move on. Capers last two years have been horrible. The year we go 15-1 with an average defense we run the table...instead we lose the first game. You can blame injuries all you want up good teams and it starts with the coaches overcome and win with what talent they have chosen.

and I agree with rizzo, Ted Thompson needs to not be so short sighted and ignore free agents. Ron wolf had the ability to plug a hole here and there but not sell out the franchise in doing so.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Crazy how one bad game in the playoffs last season makes everyone think the whole season was awful, and one bad game in 2009 does the same, but one good game would never do the opposite.

Not saying this was a great game. Just saying bad games change opinions much more and faster than good ones.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
It's time to move on. Capers last two years have been horrible. The year we go 15-1 with an average defense we run the table...instead we lose the first game. You can blame injuries all you want up good teams and it starts with the coaches overcome and win with what talent they have chosen.

and I agree with rizzo, Ted Thompson needs to not be so short sighted and ignore free agents. Ron wolf had the ability to plug a hole here and there but not sell out the franchise in doing so.
THIS...

We're pi**ing through Aaron's prime years with a bad D. I believe our O is elite every year with Aaron at the helm though we can always use help on the O-line. Defense has been the major achilles heel that's kept this team from being elite since the SB. Time to cut ties with Dandy Dom and bring in a different scheme more suited toward our younger players.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the main reasons the D was better today was he stopped being so damn stubborn with his zone. These corners play far far better in man. Tramon and house and shields are all good at man, shields has the wheels to play both but tramon and house suck at zone.

The safety play was atrocious again and there were miscommunications again which drive me up the wall.

The tackling continues to be poor under his watch.

Half of the guys look uninspired on D....the stakes the last 2 weeks got them up but most of the year some of them looked like they were going through the motions out there (Raji!!!!!). There are plenty of other younger, good coaches out there that might get these guys juiced up. Ray Horton for example. Same D, totally different intensity.

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The real question is honestly is capers staying or going? The defense actually did good with much like usual our third string and practice squad guys being in majority of the plays. Side note though the blocks on mulumba and Neal were darn cheap. But really capers needs to go and Thompson has to actually maybe spend some of the billions of dollars in profits he makes and maybe spend the extra 25 cents on a proven guy rather than a guy who is another undrafted free agent.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've wanted Capers fired as much as anyone, but Capers did not lose the game for us today. Sure we couldn't stop them on the final drive. But the injuries are to blame there. There's a reason Jarrett Bush only plays on special teams. But Capers kept us in the game, and our offense couldn't get it done. I think if someone told you Capers would hold the 49ers to 23 points today, most of us would take it knowing a Rodgers-led offense would usually score more than 30 points.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
The real question is honestly is capers staying or going? The defense actually did good with much like usual our third string and practice squad guys being in majority of the plays. Side note though the blocks on mulumba and Neal were darn cheap. But really capers needs to go and Thompson has to actually maybe spend some of the billions of dollars in profits he makes and maybe spend the extra 25 cents on a proven guy rather than a guy who is another undrafted free agent.
The fact the D managed to suck less today doesn't change the fact they've been the weakest link three years running. Dandy Dom has had his time, it's pretty clear his scheme isn't working for these players anymore IMHO.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted should know what he wants to do based on the entire season and seasons. While the emotion of today can not carry over to any decision making its not like he needs to have extra time to evaluate Capers and the others. If you fire him tomorrow then you make him the scapegoat so I think they meet sometime this week and ask for him to step down. If he refuses then you fire him or decline to renew him based on his contract status.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted should know what he wants to do based on the entire season and seasons. While the emotion of today can not carry over to any decision making its not like he needs to have extra time to evaluate Capers and the others. If you fire him tomorrow then you make him the scapegoat so I think they meet sometime this week and ask for him to step down. If he refuses then you fire him or decline to renew him based on his contract status.

The Packers should and will put more time into evaluating everybody.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams are filling out their coaching staffs right now. You don't sit around for 6 weeks while everyone else gets hired.

These guys in the front office are evaluating this stuff constantly. They don't need to sit and re-evaluate it. They will meet about it, then meet with MM and move forward with whatever decisions they make sooner than later. I expect Dom to be gone within 10 days.

Members online

Latest posts