1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

all about da packers

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mackie2001, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you lock the Sherman thread? Who do you think you are? If given time, some of us with more imagination, would have linked the current state of the Packers to Wolf and maybe others.

So, if you're locking the Sherman thread, then all threads that aren't about the current Packers must be locked as well.

Babysitter forums are too funny. At least it was an intelligent discussion without malice and personal attacks.

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,959
    You know the rules???????

By registering on and/or logging into www.packerforum.com you agree to accept and abide by the rules of the forum. Of which are:

1.)Moderation of Messages
    Admins or Moderators can/will delete/move any content on this site for any reason at any time, no questions asked, with or without notification to the member(s).

~~~

But to step in to say something here..

The Sherman, Ted debate went on from B4 Mike was fired and it cause a lot of heated debating and some very bad issues...

That is JUST ONE REASON why AADP locked it..

But why not send him a pm on this iunsteed of posting it in public..Specially since its pretty clear YOU DONT KNOW THE RULES HERE..

3. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Rules schmules. That's not a rule, it's a statement of power. He may have the power but does he have the right?

The reason I posted it publicly was I'd like others to respond to this as well. If someone gets out of control, deal with the problem and and don't punish the entire forum.

We're here to talk about the Packers, past, present and future. This is the first time I've ever seen a Packers' thread locked, in any forum, that wasn't out of control. There is a debate going on about the current state of the Packers and Sherman is part of it. Deal with it, if you don't like the thread but don't ban it because you don't like the topic.

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,959
    I guess this doesnt apply to the locked thread..

Any other post that shall, at the sole discretion of www.packerforum.com owners, operators, managers or employees, be deemed offensive.......

Maybe you werent around, but the Sherman debate goes NOWHERE and gets out of hand..This has happened on almost EVERY Sherman as the GM threads..

SO while on the outside it might look like an abuse of power, it is IMO stopping it before it got out of hand..Not to mention this debate has had NUMEROUS posts and threads...

There are many older threads you can look up that are not locked..

just one thread

another one

just do a search and you can find many threads about sherman and or Ted..

I found those in under 1 minute..And its basiclly the same thing, over and over and over and over and over again..

5. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I closed that thread is because the topic has been debated to death.

You started out making the point about the coaching of Mike Sherman, but very few people, outside of p@ck66, will say that Sherman was a terrible coach. They will say that eventually Sherman's decisions made them loose confidence in him, but they will not outright argue Sherman the Coach was terrible from day one and it only got worse. The '4th and 26' stuff has also been debated quite a bit, but that doesn't really lead anywhere productive itself.

Yes '4th and 26' happened. Reports have indicated it was Sherman's fault because he overrode the DC's call. Others will argue that it was the right call but the players that screwed up. In the end you have people defending the call debating the issue against people against the call. It leads no where productive.

As for the Sherman 'The GM' vs TT 'The GM' debate, I'll just say that thread rehashed so many old debates in terms of "Hillenmeyer drafted then cut by Sherman", "BJ Sander drafted so early", "Carroll being drafted: A mistake?" just to name a few. All this stuff has been talked about before, and the problem with that is there is nothing that could possibly be put fourth that would advance the discussion beyond the point where it has already been.

There are a lot of smart posters here who have made their opinions of Sherman beforehand, and get tired of posting it again and again. Lately, the issue of Sherman's drafts has come up in a few threads, each producing the same stuff where people say stuff that has been rehashed. Members of the forum don't come to check out 3-4 different threads on Sherman that have produced the same arguments and logics, and they don't come here to read a new thread on Mike Sherman every other day that also puts forth the same arguments which have been heard before.

Now do not get me wrong, there are people who come here and do look forward to discussing Mike Sherman. That is perfectly fine, because I myself feel like reading the debate during the offseason. Also being in this slow month of football news, you will be hard pressed to find a lot of stuff to talk about. I don't want to turn off those members by making Sherman a taboo. You are absolutely right that the issue is important because it has implications for the present Packers, and there should be a thread where people can go to discuss their views on Mike Sherman, and there is a thread which discusses the Sherman issue.

People who want to discuss the issue can do it there. I felt that thread laid out the parameters for debating the Sherman issue much more simply.

In the end, a lot of the members come here to discuss the current Packers news, and speculate on where the offseason will go for the Packers, while looking back at what the past season brought. The overwhelming number of members on the boards are tired of the Sherman talk, and this is a perception I got browsing these and a couple of other Packer forums, and reading the comments in the threads themselves. In order to to cater to both sides of the fence, there is a thread that is there for the people that want to discuss Mike Sherman, and the rest of the people who would rather not can avoid that one thread. Also, in the other discussion threads, especially about whether TT is the man for the GM job, you end up having parallels to the Sherman threads, where a couple of posts do discuss the issue of Sherman the GM vs TT the GM.

I am a HUGE Mike Sherman fan. I respect his coaching, have nothing but positives to say about the type of person Mike Sherman was, and I can understand where people argue that Sherman was a GM trying to find that one star player so he traded up in hopes of doing so. However such talk does get old after a while, and the majority of members on this forum, and other members on the larger Packer forums I have visited want to discuss original and creative issues.

6. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW - thanks a bunch LT.

7. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

:rotflmao:

8. Ryan

Ryan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Can't we all just get along... :)

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Or atleast look up the staff on a forum before you attempt to call someone who, who happens to me a freakin mod!? C'mon I can't handle laughs this hard on a sunday!

10. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Mackie does not come around all that often. He really doesn't understand what has taken place here as you can see from his response. He has been a good poster on other sites.

11. all about da packers

Ratings:
    +0
    I do believe that is true, reading some of his posts he looks like a great fan who knows what he is talking about.

I just wanted it to be clear I didn't target anyone out, I was just doing what I thought would make the forum more attractive for everyone.

12. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    Exactly why you do a little research before making such a bold statement.

13. Mackie2001

Mackie2001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is when trying to find old threads, someone will complain about that as well. I've spent a lot of time in the PackersNews forum. It's a pretty tough forum because it doesn't have Mods, which I think is great. We've pretty much policed ourselves because ignoring someone in a forum, is the death penalty. The reason a lot of people leave is because of OT's. People also leave because they don't want them in the forum and people leave because occasionally PackersNews warns people about OTs. I like to hang out in one forum but I want to talk about the Packers too. Having so many forums splits up the members and sometimes continuity is lost.

Sorry if I got short with anyone. I'm a bit of a free spirit.

14. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    NOT ME!!!!......................(my spirit CHARGES!!!) :rotflmao:

15. CaliforniaCheez

CaliforniaCheez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Electrical charges- shocking.

16. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Yeah, their site is cluttery to say it politely. The thread topic's are four words next line four more words ... reading the title is like reading a newspaper article.

17. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Know what ya mean.