Alex Green IS a FACTOR believe it or not...

AaronObryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Size, Speed, Vision, Best RB hands in the NFL, Great Blocking skills, might run upright but is extremely a Draft Steal...Will be helping more than depleting the offense's goals this year for a big chance at winning another championship...

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has a fumble history from what I heard too. Seen film on him , looks like a good back with great hands. Hopefully with right coaching he is an asset this year.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see you're from Portland and I believe Alex Green is also from that area so you must have seen him play high school football?

I like the pick and look forward to seeing him in a rotation with Grant and Starks and Kuhn (if resigned). The one area he will need to improve on is his blocking as I don't believe he was asked to block alot in the Hawaii spread offense.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Perhaps Green will be a factor but that of course is not certain. There's nothing wrong with optimism but “Best RB hands in the NFL” is either hope or hyperbole as he definitely had a fumbling problem at Hawaii and hasn’t played a down in the NFL. If he doesn’t get his fumbling problem cleared up he won’t see the field much. One of the things Jackson excels at is picking up the blitz and right now, no one knows how Green matches up in that area – another crucial skill for the Packers’ third down back.

He does have the speed and size to carry the load as the primary back. In the past couple of weeks I read that another team was going to pick him ahead of the Packers in the third round but a player they didn’t expect to, fell to them at that pick, so I don’t think he was a reach at that spot as some have claimed. I hope Fontenot can emulate Bennett as RB coach. I’m not criticizing the switch of Bennett to WR coach but I think Green would benefit from Bennett’s coaching as the other RBs have.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope he runs hard. Wouldn't mind a James Starks clone. Rotate those two to keep em fresh and keep on pounding LB.

PackisBack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope he ends up being the franchise back for the next 7 years or so, hopefully something like a Steven Jackson type. I just haven't seen it from the film I've watched though, my biggest thing is NFL defenses are a lot quicker and bigger than what he faced in college, and he won't have nearly the holes he was used to running through. Additionally, he's not perfect at making those quick cuts that make the first people miss. Granted, if our run blocking got better it would go a long way, and some pro coaching should help too.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry that he was always seeing wide open holes because defenses were playing Hawaii to pass all the time.... some of those highlights, nobody came close to touching him for 25 yards. Holes were big enough to drive Oprah thru them.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
Honestly I think James Starks might have an even bigger impact, as much as im liking alex green. I think Ryan Grant's days are numbered, possible trade bait.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly I think James Starks might have an even bigger impact, as much as im liking alex green. I think Ryan Grant's days are numbered, possible trade bait.

Exactly.

IMHO, the Green pick was made for 2012 (TT always looks 2 years ahead).

2012, Grant will be a FA and will demand loads of money. TT won't need to pay him with Green on the roster.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If the Green pick was made for 2012 and if Thompson is always looking ahead two years, since this is 2011… :)

IMO it's pretty obvious Thompson and McCarthy are looking at Grant/Starks to carry the load this season with Green being the third down back. Grant doesn't get extended and Starks and Green battle for the number one job in 2012.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Green pick was made for 2012 and if Thompson is always looking ahead two years, since this is 2011… :)

IMO it's pretty obvious Thompson and McCarthy are looking at Grant/Starks to carry the load this season with Green being the third down back. Grant doesn't get extended and Starks and Green battle for the number one job in 2012.
By two years read two seasons. The 2011 season hasn't been played yet.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed! I think Starks is primo behind Grant.

I do think Green is going to be a factor, perhaps it won't be evident right away, but I do feel a potential in him and I think there is a very good reason why T.T. drafted him and I think that reason will manifest itself in time.

I feel really good about our running game this year. We will have Grant back from IR, SuperStarks running right behind him, followed by the force of Kuhn...... and add Green to that mix. It's going to be really interesting what dynamic and diversity Green is going to bring to our running game. I also want to see what he can do as a return man although I think Cobb is primo there. Still it wouldn't hurt to give Green a shot at it. I'm excited to see what Green can do. It's a little early and premature to start making deep predictions but my initial feeling/ spider sense about Green is a good one.

*In Ted Thompson we trust.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts