Al Harris....(sigh)......

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM was asked a question about Harris and he gave an honest answer. That's what the coaches job is to do. If he was asked about Manuel, I'm sure he would of said some things about him. Same with Woodson, Collins etc... He was asked about Al Harris.

If Harris can't take critcism then he probably shouldn't be playing football. He'll see it everywhere. Last year he was considered overrated by many experts and I assume he used it as motivation.

This could be the beginning of one of two things.

1. Al Harris stepping up his play and making the Pro Bowl because he is now motivated.

2. Al Harris on his way out of Green Bay.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
do we know if he singled Al out? it sounds like they asked him about Al and he gave his assessment.... and his assessment is accurate.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
MM should have chosen his words better, but he is not really the issue here.

Al Harris, like a number of players in GB, have been unhappy with what he is seeing Ted Thompson do to the team. Woodson's contract is only a small part of it, Manuel getting paid a boat load of money when he is clearly an inferior player to Roman is another.

This is how Al sees it and he has been saying it for some time now, but he shows up to work and gives his best effort in every practice (where young players look up to him and he offers mentoring) and on the field.

Have there been quotes of Al saying this stuff? He called out TT specifically? I honestly never saw it, maybe I missed that.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
do we know if he singled Al out? it sounds like they asked him about Al and he gave his assessment.... and his assessment is accurate.

I read the transcript on his press conference. He was asked to comment specifically on Harris' play so far this year.

He answered the question. When MM came on board it was said many times that the players won't have to worry about where he stands. He makes his position very clear.

He cut the young lineman no slack when they didn't perform well and his response to things like A. Greens fumbling and dropped passes was that it was not accceptable. Regardless of who it is.

He has backed his players up and said for the most part they have played well but is frustrated with the big plays allowed. He's only said like fifty times they have to do a better job on that.

Their close to dead last in pass defense. What's Harris want? A medal?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Al Harris. I don't want to see him in any other uniform besides the G & G. If his drop in performance has been voluntary, then that's crappy and I hope he steps it up to prove his value. Whatever the reason, the whole D has been bad, and I think he's been one of the few who have done some things well. Just my 2 cent

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Interesting responses people, great thread to read so far.

I think you were right on with the remarks you made DePack (you too Packnic).

However, one thing I could see as a potential problem could be that Harris is mad that Manuel was brought in to be the "leader" of the secondary, where as Harris thought that was his job and he was doing pretty darn good at it...

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Bruce. It's no secret that I don't like Thompson but it does seem that GB is losing alot of it's mystique extremely fast. Al isn't the first player to express frustration. Mike Wahle made some "not so nice" comments about Ted. Sharper has spoken out. JWalk absolutely refused to play here. Alot of FA's didn't even consider GB.

The point is there is has been alot of Negative talk from ex-Packers about the direction of our team. It could be the fact that GB isn't Los Angeles or the fact that we are clearly rebuilding OR that players think that GB just isn't a good place for a player to play with our current leadership. I'm not saying it's one or the other but if you think Potential FA's don't hear the negative words said about this team from current/ex Packers then you are being naive.

Al wants out, his words clearly shows his frustration. I can't blame him. This is not a shot at TT but look at this team, it's not a year or two away from a SB run. Al probably FEELS he was singled out by MM. Al hasn't played great by any means but neither has anyone else in the secondary. Maybe Al should tell MM that the Pass Defense failing isn't just him. Maybe he should let MM know that if he would do something about Manual wearing stone boots or tell MM to get over his Man Crush for Poppinga that it may look a little better.

Al has been just as consistent as the rest, consistently inconsistent.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Interesting responses people, great thread to read so far.

I think you were right on with the remarks you made DePack (you too Packnic).

However, one thing I could see as a potential problem could be that Harris is mad that Manuel was brought in to be the "leader" of the secondary, where as Harris thought that was his job and he was doing pretty darn good at it...

I read he was brought in to add leadership to the secondary, not to be THE leader. There's no question Harris is our Secondary leader.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
I agree with Bruce. It's no secret that I don't like Thompson but it does seem that GB is losing alot of it's mystique extremely fast. Al isn't the first player to express frustration. Mike Wahle made some "not so nice" comments about Ted. Sharper has spoken out. JWalk absolutely refused to play here. Alot of FA's didn't even consider GB.

Is there a quote where Harris sounds off on the direction of the team. He seems to be upset that McCarthy is critical of him and not upset at Ted Thompson. He didn't bash any of the coaches or the Packers as an organization at least in this quote (unless I misread before typing)

He seemed upset about McCarthy's response to a question about his play on the field.

As you said in your post, Harris much like everyone else has been inconsistent so McCarthy in my opinion gave his assessment and I agree with it. Perhaps instead of whining Harris should just go out there and prove your coach wrong.

If this does get way out of hand I hope Green Bay relizes that unlike Javon Walker, Harris is still got 2 maybe 3 years left on his deal. So we can hold onto him for a very long time. Management holds all the leverage. This would be a chance to send a message to the rest of the players. Let Harris sit and don't give into any trade demands. If TT goes out and trades him when he has more than a year on his deal, I think it'll be his worse move by a long shot.

Hopefully Harris does what he should and that's step up your play and prove the coach wrong. Use this to earn your paycheck not as a ticket out of Green Bay because like stated if the GM has any sense he'll let him sit and when the deal expires he'll be well into his 30's so he won't get no big pay day.

Green Bay has all the leverage. Time to use it.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Is there a quote where Harris sounds off on the direction of the team. He seems to be upset that McCarthy is critical of him and not upset at Ted Thompson. He didn't bash any of the coaches or the Packers as an organization at least in this quote (unless I misread before typing)

Well when Al fires back wit "TRADE ME, TRADE" I tend to read between the lines. Al wants out, it is obvious. Why he wants out is the question. Is it because he wants more money OR is it because he feels the same way that Javon,Sharper and Wahle expressed they did.

As you said in your post, Harris much like everyone else has been inconsistent so McCarthy in my opinion gave his assessment and I agree with it. Perhaps instead of whining Harris should just go out there and prove your coach wrong.

And perhaps MM should become more consistent about what guys he plays around Al. This is not an excuse for Al, but how many more weeks must we suffer from the Poppinga/Manual combo. MM calling someone inconsistent is the pot calling the kettle black.

If this does get way out of hand I hope Green Bay relizes that unlike Javon Walker, Harris is still got 2 maybe 3 years left on his deal. So we can hold onto him for a very long time. Management holds all the leverage. This would be a chance to send a message to the rest of the players. Let Harris sit and don't give into any trade demands. If TT goes out and trades him when he has more than a year on his deal, I think it'll be his worse move by a long shot.

What do the years left on the deal have to do with anything? TT could have stood his ground with JWalk and maybe Al would not even think about doing anything {not sure he is to begin with}

TT could have made an example with JWalk and he didn't. It seems that you want Ted to say "holding out with anything more than 1 year left on your deal will get you nowhere" instead of stating "Holding out will get you nowhere PERIOD!"

If Al does take that route, Ted can blame himself.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Walker ? Unreal how ig... nm People need to wake the ***** up already. WALKER CAUSED HIS OWN MESS!!

Walker caused his own mess? Have you seen his new contract? I wish I could cause a mess like that

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds to me like Al Isnt the happiest guy in the world with the Packers. A little touchy i would say? Not good. Well maybe if he gets his head outa his you know what and starts playing like a half way decent player he will get paid like a half way decent player. remember no one is entitled to get more money than what there contract says.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
Well maybe if he gets his head outa his you know what and starts playing like a half way decent player he will get paid like a half way decent player.

unless you are Charles Woodson

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Well when Al fires back wit "TRADE ME, TRADE" I tend to read between the lines. Al wants out, it is obvious. Why he wants out is the question. Is it because he wants more money OR is it because he feels the same way that Javon,Sharper and Wahle expressed they did.

Exactly we don't have an answer yet. So speculating that Al Harris is mad at Ted Thompson is nothing but it is. Speculation. I think it's more about the money personally and judging from his reaction I think he has trouble dealing with criticism.

And perhaps MM should become more consistent about what guys he plays around Al. This is not an excuse for Al, but how many more weeks must we suffer from the Poppinga/Manual combo. MM calling someone inconsistent is the pot calling the kettle black.

McCarthy was never questioned about those players. If he was I sure hope he would say the same thing. Their inconsistent. In fact I've heard McCarthy call the whole team inconsistent before. McCarthy was asked about Al Harris' play on the field and not Brady Poppinga’s or Marquand Manuel's.

What do the years left on the deal have to do with anything? TT could have stood his ground with JWalk and maybe Al would not even think about doing anything {not sure he is to begin with}

TT could have made an example with JWalk and he didn't. It seems that you want Ted to say "holding out with anything more than 1 year left on your deal will get you nowhere" instead of stating "Holding out will get you nowhere PERIOD!"

Walker would be sitting right now. He would report come Week 10 and play for 6 weeks. He would be credited with this year and he would leave via free agency. Walker had a lot more leverage than Al Harris.

I never said anything like that PERIOD

If I thought that I would say it.

It’s all about if a player has leverage and Harris doesn’t have the leverage Walker had.

The fact is Harris in his 30's and is still on a rather long contract. Walker had a year left and is a young player that still has potential. The leverage Walker had is not there for Harris. Harris can't come into next season and sit out the year and come play Week 10 and on and get credited for a year and then leave. He has to do that for a couple of more years. By then he would into his mid 30's I believe and wouldn't have a chance at a big pay day. Walker is a young WR who could of done the exact same thing. Because he has a year left he could of reported by Week 10 and then left via Free Agency. He probably wouldn't of gotten a huge deal but a deal none the less. He then could play for a big pay day all over again with a different team and because of his age he likely could receive his money. When your in your mid 30's and your a CB, you won't be seeing any big paydays while you haven't played much in the last few years. The leverage Walker had doesn't work for Harris in this situation. Green Bay has a lot more leverage in this case and they can right a wrong by making him sit IF it comes to that.

If Al does take that route, Ted can blame himself.

Al Harris hasn't said anything about Ted Thompson yet. He's upset because the Head Coach is critical of him. I love that!! The big problems with Green Bay is the stars don't know how to take criticism. They always get tossed to the side and others get blamed. I hope McCarthy is critical of everyone and I think that‘s the most important thing that we need to look at. Now if McCarthy is asked the same question about Poppinga, Woodson, or Manuel and responds differently then GB has a problem. Being critical of players is what makes a Head Coach a good coach. You need to sound off and use all tactic necessary to get a great player who is in a slump playing great again. McCarthy was approached with a question about a player and gave an assessment about this player. It just turned out that it is true.

It sounds like he's mad at McCarthy. Certainly Thompson not giving him a deal this past summer can be blamed but if you have to point the finger at just one person then I point at Al Harris for his inconsistent play on the football field. If Harris were playing like the shut down CB he is made out to be by many in Green Bay then he wouldn't have to deal with a Coach being critical of him.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
agopackgo4 said:
Well maybe if he gets his head outa his you know what and starts playing like a half way decent player he will get paid like a half way decent player.

unless you are Charles Woodson

Or.....if you do play decent you don't get paid twice what your worth like KGB.

You know, could it just possibly be, that Harris got this question thrown in his face in the wrong place at the wrong time? Maybe having had to listen for the 100th time someone discuss how badly he and the rest of the DB's are playing finally maybe pissed him off a little?

My guess is there is probably nobody on the planet enjoying these circumstances less than Al Harris right about now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
Walker ? Unreal how ig... nm People need to wake the ***** up already. WALKER CAUSED HIS OWN MESS!!

Walker caused his own mess? Have you seen his new contract? I wish I could cause a mess like that

So since you are blaming Ted for Javon being gone are you then crediting Ted for his new contract? Can't have it both ways. You know it's not Ted's fault Javon is gone. You are just trying to bait an argument, just like always.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

So since you are blaming Ted for Javon being gone are you then crediting Ted for his new contract? Can't have it both ways. You know it's not Ted's fault Javon is gone. You are just trying to bait an argument, just like always.

Zero your arguments are all over the place. You made a point that was ridiculous. It seems you can't dispute a point with valid facts so you revert to the "picking an argument" angle. It's transparent and quite funny, especially when you do it over and over again.

You stated "JAVON CREATED HIS OWN MESS" which is hilarious if you look at the big picture. Javon created a NICE payday for himself on a contending team. Ted gave him this luxury. Al saw how easy it was for Javon to do so, so if Al is unhappy why not follow JWalk's path to success.

Argue points and quit whining about picking fights, if you are unable to do so, don't reply.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:
pyledriver80 said:
Zero2Cool said:

Zero your arguments are all over the place. You made a point that was ridiculous. It seems you can't dispute a point with valid facts so you revert to the "picking an argument" angle. It's transparent and quite funny, especially when you do it over and over again.

You stated "JAVON CREATED HIS OWN MESS" which is hilarious if you look at the big picture. Javon created a NICE payday for himself on a contending team. Ted gave him this luxury. Al saw how easy it was for Javon to do so, so if Al is unhappy why not follow JWalk's path to success.

Argue points and quit whining about picking fights, if you are unable to do so, don't reply.

Poor wording on my part there. Mess was not the right word.

Javon created his own exit from GB that was not the fault of the Packers mgnt. Walker started it, he finished it. The Packers lost a really good WR in exchange for five draft picks. Well, when you break it down logically it was five, but really it was just a 2nd rounder.

btw, keep dancing on the line, you're gonna fall off eventually. The staff isn't stupid here, hope you know this.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Walkers contract was actually a Woodson type of deal. He got a huge payday, but there is a good cahcne he will be cut after this year unless he has a MONSTER year. That is why Denver gave him that huge contract, because if he didn't show he was an amazing player this year, Denver could refuse to pay the roster bonus and be out of the deal. I believe his current deal is HEAVILY backloaded.

Same with Woodson. His deal is esentially a 3 year 18 million dollar contract. Comparable, but better than, Harris's contract. However Harris and his agent will use the Woodson deal as a benchmark, which is going to be a sticking point with Ted/Brandt.

Latest posts