Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (CB/KR/Pr, Indiana PA)

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know everyone's been waiting to actually get to see a highlight tape of this kid well here it is.

Read & React: Reads his receiver carefully on the outside and is quick to jump routes once a hint is given. Reads the quarterback well and has the speed to the ball in the deep half as a safety. Baits the quarterback into thinking the seam route is open.

Man Coverage: Has prototypical size to be a press corner. Plays with aggression at the line but usually lined up 10 yards off, apparently per coaches' instructions. Shows good flexibility and very good feet in his pedal, staying low and transitioning well. Typically takes up inside position instead of backpedaling, waiting for the receiver to make his move before jumping the route; gets turned around if receiver breaks inside. Often forces quarterback to look in another direction.

Zone Coverage: Could flourish in a zone system as a free safety or corner. His size and speed give him good range, and he is strong enough to snatch the ball from the grasp of receivers. Fluid moving from the hash to the sideline. Excellent hands for the interception and is always a threat to take the ball to the end zone. Must prove he has the discipline to come off one receiver to cover another coming into his area.

Closing/Recovery: Closes on the ball in the air quickly. Gives too much cushion, but his size, closing speed and long arms allow him to stop plays or immediately bring down the ballcarrier. Jumps slant routes when playing off-man. Has the speed and change-of-direction agility to recover on stop-and-go routes. Plants and drives out of his backpedal effectively.

Run Support: Used primarily as a cover corner playing off the line, Owusu-Ansah did not often come up in run support. He will come off his man to chase down ballcarriers, though, taking good angles to prevent big plays. Has the size to be effective crashing down from the outside and generally disengages from receiver blocks, but physicality is still a question mark.

Tackling: Has the size and strength to limit yards after the catch. Has long, well-built arms to wrap up ballcarriers. Averaged roughly on tackle per game -- the ball didn't come his way often and he was not involved in many run plays. Heads toward the pile but often runs around it instead of entering the fracas. Needs to prove himself a secure tackler before teams consider moving him to safety.

Intangibles: Confident and emotional on the field. Highly successful at a lower level of competition, but must acclimate quickly to the routes run by receivers from major programs. He missed an opportunity to prove himself against the big boys in all-star games because of a shoulder injury. His return skills were formidable at the D-II level, but should translate; he hits a hole quickly, shows good vision, runs through arm tackles and has the speed to beat the angle. Displays patience to let blocks develop on interception and kickoff returns.

NFL Comparison: Charles Tillman, Chicago Bears

Injury Report:
2009: Missed postseason all-star games with a shoulder injury he played through most of the season.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyHc-KGp6c]YouTube - Akwasi Owusu-Ansah College Highlight[/ame]

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hadn't seen anything from him yet... Thanks NYPacker!!!

Actually watching his highlights makes me feel a tad bittersweet. I like his return skills but man do those QB's and WR's suck. I'm not sure how he'll fare being a CB in the NFL.

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but he has obvious ball skills, plus the man can wiggle, even though some of these tackles are pretty hilarious. He is draftable for his return skills at least, and he's gonna go around the 5th or something.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
meh there is so much talent around this guy is pretty risky, if he falls to the 7th, or is a FA pickup he would look better.

OP
OP
N

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
meh there is so much talent around this guy is pretty risky, if he falls to the 7th, or is a FA pickup he would look better.

I agree, when I heard scouts say that he's the best small school prospect they were right. He is the best "small school" prospect and that's why I'm starting to fall of his bandwagon a little. He definitely needs to step up his game when he takes on the big boys in the NFL.

every1else

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love his name. He seems to always know where the ball is which is great.
The video doesn't really show his coverage skills very much though.

In the end I really hope we get this guy.