1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

AJ Hawk haters.....

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by G0PackG0, Sep 4, 2012.

1. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,484
    Not in 2011, when Bishop did all the dirty work. His overall performance in 2011 was poor.

Fortunately, his play this year more closely approximates his outstanding 2010.

2. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,859
    Perhaps, but I was expecting a 'Clay Matthews' level of impact. Of that, he falls far short.

3. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Then perhaps your expectations were too high?

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,859
    That would be my point. We have Mario andretti in a porsche barely beating my grandma driving her Hyundai. It was easy to expect more from Hawk

Successful? Sure. Did we have the right to expect more - sooner? Yes. Not based on his draft position, just from a talent evaluation standpoint. That is entirely based on my own 'armchair evaluation'.

5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Hawk has had up and down years, and is a role player, not a star. It took me a while, but he's had enough "good" years to have me turn coat. He's had a quiet year and an injured year in the mix too that I don't hold against him. At least not anymore anyway.

Berkowitz?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Hawk was the Lombardi award winner and made first team All-America. He was lauded in the pre draft rankings. I guess that's where the expectations came from. He's been solid for the most part.

7. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I got it. Good one!:giggle:

8. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Then where was the error?

9. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,859
    Who said anything about an error?

There is risk/reward with every player.

10. creasy

creasy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. Fresh meat here. Great discussion on this topic so far. For the hawk supporters, what specifically does he do well?

11. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    General consensus is plugging gaps and running lanes, making adjustments, tackle (though not necessarily on initial contact) and being healthy enough to play.

12. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Obviously, the error is in mis-judging the type of player AJ would translate to in the NFL.

13. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    He almost never makes a mental mistake. I think this might be one of the most under-rated abilities in the league. Will you consistently win with a defense full of guys like that, probably not. You've got to have playmakers and ball-hawks. "Home-run hitters". But just like homer hitters swing and miss a lot, so do big play guys and ballhawks. If you have those guys on your team, and we absolutely do, you need an AJ Hawk to back it up when someone whiffs. So many people bag on Hawk because he's there to mop up. But it often happens after one of our big hitters misses. What, you'd rather Hawk didn't make those tackles? Rarely the first guy at the point of attack, but likely our surest guy at the point of attack.

14. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    He's reliable. He's a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none as a LB, but you know what he is and he brings it every single game. He has cranked it up a notch overall this past season. He's smart. He's an excellent signal-caller on defense and makes solid on-the-fly adjustments. Every defense can use a guy like AJ.

He's also the ugliest SOB to strap on a Packer helmet since Nitschke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    So your saying he's less of a "hawk" (general hunter association) and more of a vulture (scavenger association) ???
    Perhaps we should nick name him: The Janitor, Trash Man, The Bondsman, Plan B? The Fixer?!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Look, I'm not saying he's what I thought he was going to be. And even though nobody wants to be the janitor and clean up others peoples' ****, I think everyone who has a janitor should be considered fortunate to have one, don't you? And if a janitor is truly what Hawk is, I'm glad that he's one of the best.

And +1 for the vulture thing. Clever.

17. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Ain't that the truth.

18. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    For a first round pick what else would your expectations be? Granted not every 1st round draft pick can be savage beast, but when you draft a guy in the first round (as I stated in a previous thread) there is high expectation to perform, not just be merely serviceable, which is really the kind of player Hawk has been lately.

19. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652
    Players don't draft themselves. They don't evaluate themselves. They don't talk themselves up on ESPN. It's the scouting department's fault if they don't get it right. It can also be the result of playing in a college system that fits a guy's play style to a T. The draft is largely a crap shoot.