AJ Hawk haters.....

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that you can't win for losing these days. Completely durable, top tackles every season but one since going to Green Bay, running the show out there on D like a seasoned veteran and still the hate. Even in threads that have nothing to do with him, linebackers or even play on the field. I get it if you don't like Ohio State I do. But when your a Packer your a Packer. Hey I have a Woodson jersey and he destroyed the Buckeye's his Heisman year. But he's a Packer now and thats what matters. With all of our injuries the past few years, the one guy playing every game and doing a good job should be applauded not trolled in threads about Greg Jennings contract talks lol

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you watching the same AJ hawk I am?

I'd trade him for a fruit roll up.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
It seems that you can't win for losing these days.
He does a lot of losing, that's why he can't win.
top tackles every season but one since going to Green Bay, running the show out there on D like a seasoned veteran and still the hate.
Now imagine his stats if he actually ran! Instead he is always three steps behind. You'd think if he was really that intelligent of a player...
With all of our injuries the past few years, the one guy playing every game and doing a good job should be applauded not trolled in threads about Greg Jennings contract talks lol
That's the problem, he plays every game, yet doesn't actually play in any. I'll applaud him when he actually does a good job instead of racking up tackle assists/half tackles by flopping on top of a pile.

H

HardRightEdge

....top tackles every season but one since going to Green Bay....

Yeah, it's the "but one" that sticks in my craw. After the big contract, his Sundays became a series of business decisions. If you want to assign him a leadership role, then perhaps you should at least partially attribute the shoddy tackling and over-opportunism in the secondary to his poor example.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it "hate". The roster is set, he's the starter, I wish him the best...nothing would please me more than to see the 2010 Hawk on the field.

Personally, having no particular affinity for any college program, I could care less where our players come from provided they play well.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's the problem, he plays every game, yet doesn't actually play in any. I'll applaud him when he actually does a good job instead of racking up tackle assists/half tackles by flopping on top of a pile.

Exactly. Can't improve on that statement. :tup:

For the record I don't hate him but he invokes an emotion that comes close to that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never hated Jarrett Bush, but I have a strong dislike for Hawk. Maybe it's where they were drafted. Maybe it's the stark improvement of one every season and not the other. Maybe it's because I see one work his *ss off and the other half interested in what he is doing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that you can't win for losing these days. Completely durable, top tackles every season but one since going to Green Bay, running the show out there on D like a seasoned veteran and still the hate. Even in threads that have nothing to do with him, linebackers or even play on the field. I get it if you don't like Ohio State I do. But when your a Packer your a Packer. Hey I have a Woodson jersey and he destroyed the Buckeye's his Heisman year. But he's a Packer now and thats what matters. With all of our injuries the past few years, the one guy playing every game and doing a good job should be applauded not trolled in threads about Greg Jennings contract talks lol

AJ Hawk? is that you? lol. Honestly i think Aj Hawk is a decent player but i would have chosen to keep Nick Barnett instead of AJ Hawk. I'm a Buckeye guy by the way.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like the unemotional and even-keeled name for this thread! (Just kidding.) IMO the reason for the negative attitudes directed at Hawk by some Packers fans is almost entirely due to where he was taken in the draft and the expectations that created. He was supposed to be a monster in the middle of the D, with the physical attributes and attitude to punish RBs and cover TEs. Instead he's average, adequate, etc. The coaching staff likes him because he's steady and assignment sure, not because he's the playmaker you'd expect from where he was drafted and how much he's being (and has been) paid.

Hawk had perhaps his best season in 2010. What surprised me last season was after signing his (too rich) deal, we saw a dramatic drop off. Now, he had a lot of company in that regard as any player on that D who didn't have a drop off was the exception, not the rule. Still I hate to think Hawk's 2010 performance was due to it being basically a contract year (he was due $10M in 2011 via his rookie deal and everyone knew he wasn't going be paid that).

Here is part of McGinn's season ending grade column comment on Hawk:
Capers did what he could to hide Hawk in coverage. Still, he gave up five 20-plus passes. Against the run, Hawk was a late reactor who never delivered a smashing hit and often took bad angles or was a step slow in pursuit. He missed 15 tackles, six more than in any of his five previous seasons, and had just 1½ for loss. Thirteen players had at least one turnover play but Hawk didn't have any. He did improve in one area, ranking fourth among the blitzers with one pressure every 9.23 snaps. Grade: D.
I don't hate Hawk and I'm pretty sure McGinn doesn't either, that's just an honest evaluation of Hawk's 2011 performance. And that's not the performance we should expect from the 27 year-old, 5th player picked in the draft.

With Bishop out Hawk needs to step up big time this year. He's trimmed down a bit and cut his hair. Let's hope both are signs he's re-dedicated himself. Like I hope all Packers fans, I'm rooting for him.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard for me to hate on Hawk. However it would be nice to improve on his coverage and deliver more punishing hits. He may never be the player that the organization hoped to draft but as long as he is a good player (not even great) then he won't be a bust.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it's partially due to the fact that we have so a few really high draft picks. He was supposed to be the bright spot that came out over really poor season. But he never really turned into that shining bright spot that we all hoped he would be.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Two things to mention here. First, he didn't draft himself at #5. Second, I couldn't care less about "punishing hits." Guys who are head-hunters are among the highest in missed tackles every year.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would still be nice to have someone in the middle that could deliver a blow and cause some forced fumbles instead of ***** footing around. When i say punishing hits I don't necessarily mean at every hit he has, just when he has an opportunity.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't ask him to get the big hit, the interception, the sack, the forced fumble, or even the TFL. All I want is a decent cut off man who can consistently limit the run to 1 or 2 YPC. Hawk has failed to do that.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Hawk was a rookie, he was flying around the field and looked to be the fastest linebacker we'd had in some time. What the h happened? I personally think he spends too much time in the weight room and his size has cost him his speed. He really can't cover anyone, unless they happen to run into him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
When Hawk was a rookie, he was flying around the field and looked to be the fastest linebacker we'd had in some time. What the h happened? I personally think he spends too much time in the weight room and his size has cost him his speed. He really can't cover anyone, unless they happen to run into him.
I liked Hawk his rookie season. We changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4. He played at the same size in college; he didn really gain any weight. He actually lost weight this year, and I had hoped it would make a difference. NOPE.

H

HardRightEdge

I like the unemotional and even-keeled name for this thread! (Just kidding.) IMO the reason for the negative attitudes directed at Hawk by some Packers fans is almost entirely due to where he was taken in the draft and the expectations that created. He was supposed to be a monster in the middle of the D, with the physical attributes and attitude to punish RBs and cover TEs. Instead he's average, adequate, etc. The coaching staff likes him because he's steady and assignment sure, not because he's the playmaker you'd expect from where he was drafted and how much he's being (and has been) paid.

Hawk had perhaps his best season in 2010. What surprised me last season was after signing his (too rich) deal, we saw a dramatic drop off. Now, he had a lot of company in that regard as any player on that D who didn't have a drop off was the exception, not the rule. Still I hate to think Hawk's 2010 performance was due to it being basically a contract year (he was due $10M in 2011 via his rookie deal and everyone knew he wasn't going be paid that).

Here is part of McGinn's season ending grade column comment on Hawk: I don't hate Hawk and I'm pretty sure McGinn doesn't either, that's just an honest evaluation of Hawk's 2011 performance. And that's not the performance we should expect from the 27 year-old, 5th player picked in the draft.

With Bishop out Hawk needs to step up big time this year. He's trimmed down a bit and cut his hair. Let's hope both are signs he's re-dedicated himself. Like I hope all Packers fans, I'm rooting for him.

Let's hope the hair-cutting isn't an attempt to make his invisibility more invisible.

McGinn hit the nail on the head.

Hawk got paid nearly $10 mil in bonuses in 2011...$8 mil signing and $1.8 mil roster. The entire deal was for about $6.7 mil per year over 5 years, one of the richest ILB contracts in the league. Speaking for myself, I could care less where he was drafted, just as I could care less where he went to school.

I'll be rooting for a Comeback Player of the Year award.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things to mention here. First, he didn't draft himself at #5. Second, I couldn't care less about "punishing hits." Guys who are head-hunters are among the highest in missed tackles every year.
There my friends is the most intelligent post yet. If you want to hate someone, hate the Packers for picking Hawk #5. I would like Hawk to play better, but there were ten other Packers starters that played like doggy doo-doo for most of the season. I won't single one of them out at this point, it's just not fair. They all played lazy

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the "hate" isn't that he's that bad, it's that:
a) He's not as good as a #5 pick is expected to be (as others have said, he didn't draft himself at 5)
b) How much he's getting paid to be just a serviceable guy (that's on TT, as Hawk or anyone else will get paid every dime he possibly can).

That said, I was hoping to see Smith and Bishop take over at ILB this year. I guess I only get half of what I wanted.

By the way, considering the big contracts for real stars we have coming up soon, what's Hawk's contract status? Was all of his money up front and he's cheap from here on out or is it going to be an issue where he'll get cut to save money for others?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/07/a-j-hawk-will-get-almost-11-million-in-2011/

Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports and PFT has confirmed that Hawk received an $8 million signing bonus when he inked the deal. Including a $1.8 million roster bonus and $1.15 million base salary, Hawk will earn $10.95 million in 2011.

He is set to earn $21.35 million over the first three years of the deal and $33.75 million over the entire five year deal.

He is set to make $4.95 million in total pay in 2012, with $4.4 million in base salary, $300,000 in a roster bonus and $250,000 in a workout bonus.

In 2013, he’ll make $5.45 million. That includes $4.9 million in base salary, a $300,000 roster bonus and a $250,000 workout bonus.

In 2014, he’ll make $5.95 million. That includes $4.9 million in base salary, an $800,000 roster bonus and a $250,000 workout bonus.

In 2015, he’ll make $6.45 million. That includes $5.4 million in base salary, an $800,000 roster bonus and a $250,000 workout bonus.

Hawk could be vulnerable to being released after 2013 depending on his play. His cap number that year will be $7.55 million, and the team would only take a $3.2 cap hit to release him.

A league source tells PFT that Hawk’s cap numbers are as follows: 2011: $4.55 million, 2012: $6.55 million, 2013: $7.05 million, 2014: $7.55 million, 2015: $8.05 million.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts