Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
B. Favre 14/20 130 0 0
A. Rodgers 6/9 82 0 0
I. Martin 2/3 6 0 1
Rushing ATT YDS TD LG
C. White 11 60 0 12
B. Jackson 11 20 1 7
N. Herron 3 4 0 4

Nobody's worried about the status of the running game in GB? I know, I sure am.

The passing game looked pretty good, but it's not going to be successful in the long run during the regular season unless the Pack can establish the run.

Thoughts? Comments?

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, when they showed Jackson at one point as having 11 carries for 20 yards, it made it kind of sink in that the RB situation is gonna hurt. I don't remember if many of the holes were big enough for him to run through. Did anyone else notice if the linemen were picking up their blocks well? The few running plays I remember seemed to stop by the line of scrimmage.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Well, if we're going to have a hard time running, it's going to be against their Jags. Their defense, especially run defense, is hella tough. Their front four are huge! I think our running game will be ok, and when it's not, our passing game should pull us through.

I don't think we should worry too much about our running game against the Jags, especially with Morency coming back soon and Miree getting back in rhythm.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2nd string OL looked horrible last night. 1st string OL provided good pass protection, but did not seem to be doing much if any cut blocking on run attempts. I had heard that they were going to show more cuts in this game than previously.

Also, Jackson at times appeared a little timid hitting his holes and making his cuts.

I think our line and backs will be servicable once the reguular season starts, but this will still be a pass heavy offense. Much like the last several years.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the running game is a worry... but that was about the toughest test we will recieve all year.. so thats a little bit of good news.

on a more positive note the pass protection was really really good.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several guys here pointed out yesterday before the game that this team would be extremely hard to run against and it turned out to be true.

Get used to it. EVERYBODY in our division is tough against the run. All three will more than likely put up averages under 100 yards a game against the run.

Fortunately, NONE of them are that great against the pass and WE will be the leaders in sacks in this division which bodes well for us.

There will be games when it makes little sense to try and put a square peg in a round hole. Just go after what they don't do well and beat them there.

Reaction score
I think a part of the running troubles can be attributed to misplanning by the coaches.

McCarthy said that in the second half they made an adjustment to blocking, and it provided results. If B-Jack had the type of holes that Corey White had, he'd have done alright for himself.

On a related note, it's finally refreshing to see McCarthy talk about halftime adjustments.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am very worried but I also do believe McCarthy is trying to air it out so Favre and the receivers can work on their timing. For the most part though, I am concerned with the running game. The run blocking has not looked that great through the first 3 meaningless games.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I am very worried but I also do believe McCarthy is trying to air it out so Favre and the receivers can work on their timing. For the most part though, I am concerned with the running game. The run blocking has not looked that great through the first 3 meaningless games.

I agree, but part of my hope if that because we are not utilizing the cuts in preseason, that in the regular season the interior of our O-line won't get stuffed like it was early last night. The D-tackles out muscled the Packer Oline... those are some really good tackles on the Jags... plus our Oline wasn't built as maulers, they are athletic guys moreso.

Cut blocking will level some of that off and hopefully in our favor, at least we hope so. As War said earlier.. the NFCN as good Interior Dlineman across the board.

Harris and Walker in Chitown ... Williams and Williams for the Queens, and Redding and Rodgers in Detroit.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah they haven't seemed to do much cut blocking this pre season. In fact I've seen very little at all. I hope your right but Brandon Jackson needs to stop dancing and just cut and go. If he does that and the Packers get their cut blocks in, we should be ok. I don't expect early success but I hope it gets better each week.

Pack93z

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on White last night... haven't got that far in the game yet.. but his numbers looked pretty good. Did he run straight ahead and downhill again, or did he finally show a little movement in his lower body and some wiggle?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some have speculated that we haven't been cutting because we don't want to hurt anybody in preseason. but i say, if you're going to do it during regular season, why would that be an aspect of the game you decide not to work on in the preseason?

Pack93z

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
some have speculated that we haven't been cutting because we don't want to hurt anybody in preseason. but i say, if you're going to do it during regular season, why would that be an aspect of the game you decide not to work on in the preseason?

I agree, but I would hate for a younger inexperienced Olineman cut a guy wrong and end his season in a preseason game.

My other question on that is, James Campen is coaching the oline.. albeit James was around last year, he was a mauler in his days playing and what techniques is he teaching.. so are we going to execute the cuts okay in the reg season without much practice.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right, that's my concern. are we going to execute good blocks if we don't practice them? the simple answer is 'no'. you can't do something well if you don't practice it.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on White last night... haven't got that far in the game yet.. but his numbers looked pretty good. Did he run straight ahead and downhill again, or did he finally show a little movement in his lower body and some wiggle?

I thought he looked the best out of the backs but the offensive line was also pushing the jags D-Line around at that time. I think he'd be a good practice squad guy. I'd like to see him out there at PF once in a while but he's been kind of forced to run the ball a lot with DeShawn Wynn's "Injury" and Morency's injury.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I thought White looked better than Jackson.

I think he did, too, however, it wasn't against the powerful 1st string Jags D either.

He hasn't looked impressive at all before.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We did not do anything on the ground last year until the second half of games and the #1's haven't seen a second half yet.

If this were a regular season game and we are up ten at the half and our crossing routes are open and middle is open and Favre is spreading it around you can bet your banana the run game would begin to open up.

Defenses are going to protect the ground until forced out of it unless they just aren't very good against the run. That is not a team like the Jags who are good against the run but would have been forced to change it up some to stop what we were doing that was working.

The #1's never got back in so no evolution like this happened but I saw this many times last year when we started ripping yards off in the 2nd half after looking lost on the ground in the first.

Pack93z

Reaction score
Defenses are going to protect the ground until forced out of it unless they just aren't very good against the run. That is not a team like the Jags who are good against the run but would have been forced to change it up some to stop what we were doing that was working.

This is why having two strong receivers in your base package is all so important... putting pressure on the secondary and forcing the LB to drop into coverage or at the very least.. make them hestitate in filling the holes on the run.

Having a TE being a threat helps as well. Part of the beauty of the West coast offense is that the shallow routes forces either the safeties up (which teams don't like to do) or makes the LB have to read pass/run first. Kinda puts them on their heals so to speak :thumbsup:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts