air Favre

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i predict #4 throws at least 50 passes on Sunday. Right now it looks like driver may play a very limited amount, morency probably will not play, and the way the running game looked so weak in pre-season, the Packers will have to rely on Brett's arm to win the game.

Brandon Jackson , Wynn , Grant arer the Packers RB for Sunday.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Well, here is what I see in this game...

The Packers will dog the only legitimate threat on the Eagles O.. Westbrook all day long. Forcing other players to beat us... that bodes well for the Packers Defense and Offense. I don't see the Eagles O stacking up many points against our Defense.

That should allow Brett to pick and choose our spots to turn it loose and hang enough point on the board for us to win. Regardless of the running game.. it should be a good week to see really where this Packers offense is and hopefully make any needed adjustments after that... whether that is additional players or changes in the scheme.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, he is what I see in this game...

The Packers will dog the only legitimate threat on the Eagles O.. Westbrook all day long. Forcing other players to beat us... that bodes well for the Packers Defense and Offense. I don't see the Eagles O stacking up many points against our Defense.

That should allow Brett to pick and choose our spots to turn it loose and hang enough point on the board for us to win. Regardless of the running game.. it should be a good week to see really where this Packers offense is and hopefully make any needed adjustments after that... whether that is additional players or changes in the scheme.

I find it HILARIOUS some members of this board were calling for Rodgers to start over favre, but here we are talking about how a victory relies on #4!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
Well, he is what I see in this game...

I find it HILARIOUS some members of this board were calling for Rodgers to start over favre, but here we are talking about how a victory relies on #4!

I don't think hilarious is the right word. But since I'm a nice guy, I won't use the word I want to use.

Favre will throw at least 40 passes. The OL looked good defending him. I'm hoping for a TE threat. If we have a TE threat, we'll win this one. Our D will hold up.

I think at the end of the year, some of these people will owe Favre an apology.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

When will you understand this is a forum? There is not one theme, there is not one ideal, there is not one mentality, there is not one right answer, there are MANY! That is part of the beauty of a forum. Many different opinions, suggestions and thoughts shared amongst the rest of the FREE registering users.

Some may believe one thing about Rodgers and some may believe the future rests on Favre. It does not mean BOTH are saying the same thing.

I urge you to use each poster as its own person, not each poster contributes to the entire forum mentality. It's making you look down right silly.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And could we please stop bringing old discussions/debates/arguments into new threads? It's pretty aggravating.

But to address the original topic, I agree. Probably not 50 attempts, but we should see alot more throws than the average for an NFL game..

In the end, I think Donavan throws all over the place, but the D makes stops when it needs to and gets a few key turnovers.

I don't expect the stifling effort we saw from them against Seattle, but I think that they'll make a few big big plays to keep us in it.

In the first 3 quarters, Favre will throw all over, like McNabb, but we'll be running out the clock with a lead as the game nears the end.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the offense will run exactly like it did last year.

Fairly balanced but with an edge given to the Passing game. Not because our running backs suck, and not because Favre is a god... but because Philly is fairly adept at stopping the run. and i personally think that MM talking up the run game is just that... talk. i dont think any coach goes out and announces what he really plans on doing to each team. If MM talking up the run game makes philly game plan for it... then its fine by me if we pass every down.

I think NO MATTER WHOS AT RB ... we will run the ball around 40-45% of the time.

I feel confident in the offensive lines ability to make holes for any guy we have back there....ONCE they can use their whole arsenal of tricks and moves that make the ZBS what it is.

If Olandis Gary can have a 1000 yard season with Denver running the ZBS... then Brandon Jackson, Vernand Morency, Ryan Grant and Wynn should be able to as well.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watching Philly's last pre-season game it looked like the "D" backs can be had on the slants and there was some open room in the middle for the TE's as well.

I think we will be bringing it on defense as I doubt McNabb nor his coaches wants to see him forced to run in his first real game in quite awhile.

I don't see Westbrook doing a lot of damage against this front seven and actually look for it to go like last years game minus Carroll's contribution to the Eagle's cause.

Because if it weren't for him I thought we had a real shot last year so I feel we get the W at home with an improved defense.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
And could we please stop bringing old discussions/debates/arguments into new threads? It's pretty aggravating.

I think it's all Mike Shermans fault!!!!! (Whoops sorry PIB) :D :D

It does look like Brett is going to have to throw more than anyone would like him to, I'm just guessing but look for a lot of dump offs to the RB's out of the backfield going for 4 or 5 yds, this could be a way to have a running game, but it will be credited to the passing game, and yes TE's are going to be important.

DEFENSE,DEFENSE,DESFENSE... is going to be the key to a Packer victory!!!!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank god we won't have Ahmad Carroll in this game. That game last year was a nightmare. I really hope Brett doesn't have to throw the ball 50 times. It's never good when your qb throws that much. I'm hoping that McNabb will be rusty and he gets a full dose of #74 all day.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the backfield situation, it would not surprise me to see that many passes. If executed properly, they may be able to get by for a game or 2 with little or no threat of a running attack(swings to RB's, screens to WR/RB, reverses, quick slants, etc.), but this is not a formula for long term success. They must establish at least an average running game at some point in the season.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want like hell for the Packers to win... but I think some of you are a bit overconfident in your predictions. The Eagles are on another level... on both sides of the ball. They have a stronger offense, an at least marginally better defense, and they are battle tested.

An Eagles win seems most likely. A Packers win is contingent upon several "ifs". You can't tell me you honestly like the Packers chances of winning if we don't have a run game.

I think the Packers will be better this year and I'm really excited to see how some of these young guys play (Jones, Bigby, Jackson, Morency, Jennings, Hawk, Jolly, Harrell, Hall) but looking at the schedule, this Philly game is one of our hardest.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They must establish at least an average running game at some point in the season.

I agree, but I'd say they have to establish it in the regular season, cause establishing any type of offensive implement is useless in the preseason. :)

I'll worry about our rungame if it flops when W's and L's count. :D

Pack93z

Reaction score
I want like hell for the Packers to win... but I think some of you are a bit overconfident in your predictions. The Eagles are on another level... on both sides of the ball. They have a stronger offense, an at least marginally better defense, and they are battle tested.

Help me see the light...

WR Pack vs. Eagles... without Driver it is probably even but they have no proven threat on the outside.. Curtis and Williams...

TE.. LJ Smith might practice today, but he isn't going to be 100%... that evens the score up a ton.

RB... They have a huge edge with Westbrook... but they have an unproven FB as well.

Oline ... Sorry our tackles match or exceed their tackles... Andrews inside is better than what we have but pretty close.

Dline... Sorry Freak is running out of gas and Cole beat out Howard we have the advantage at DE and probably better rotation inside.

LB... I will take our three over theirs any day...

Safeties... Advantage Eagles in a large way with Dawkins.. but Sean on the other side is green...

CB... Advantage GB in a landslide...

QB.... I will take Brett over McNabb, if for no other reason than motivation and desire... plus NcNabb is just comming back from injury with limited time in preseason..

So I don't see this other level with the Eagles... Can you say over-rated for the Philly team.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:

Help me see the light...

WR Pack vs. Eagles... without Driver it is probably even but they have no proven threat on the outside.. Curtis and Williams...

TE.. Pack vs Eagles.. LJ smith might practice today... that evens the score up a ton.

RB... They have a huge edge with Westbrook... but they have an unproven FB as well.

Oline ... Sorry our tackles match or exceed their tackles... Andrews inside is better than what we have but pretty close.

Dline... Sorry Freak is running out of gas and Cole beat out Howard we have the advantage at DE and probably better rotation inside.

LB... I will take our three over theirs any day...

Safeties... Advantage Eagles in a large way with Dawkins.. but Sean on the other side is green...

CB... Advantage GB in a landslide...

QB.... I will take Brett over McNabb, if for no other reason than motivation and desire... plus NcNabb is just comming back from injury with limited time in preseason..

So I don't see this other level with the Eagles... Can you say over-rated for the Philly team.
We may just have to agree to disagree. Here's how I see it:

QB: Favre is my ALL-TIME HERO... nonetheless, McNabb is undeniably the better QB as of now. Also, anyone familiar with McNabb's history against Green Bay has reason to worry.

RB: Westbrook. 'Nuff said. (Don't place too much importance on FB... sorry... not typically a game-changing position).

WR: I'd say this one is a wash. While Driver is loads better than anything Philly has, and I like the Packers young WRs (Jennings, Jones), Philly has good depth. Reggie Williams + Kevin Curtis + Hank Baskett seems pretty equal to Driver + Jones + Jennings.

TE: If L.J. Smith plays, Philly advantage.

O-Line: Packers are good at Tackle, above average at C with Wells, and the jury has to still be out in regards to Guard (by virtue of experience alone).

D-Line: This one is close to call as well. Kampan, Jenkins and KGB impress me at DE. I would hope that in 3rd down passing situations we also see a little of Jenkins as a pass-rushing DT. At DT the Packers have depth but no one really stands out. "The Freak", like McNabb, is an absolute force to be reckoned with. I'd compare their DE to Green Bay's: Cole beat out Howard as Jenkins beat out KGB. The third wheel's can still play and Philly's interior is better than you think. Bunkley is coming along well.

LBs: I agree with you here. Green Bay is better (although having to play against a playmaker like Spikes is scary).

CB: Can't call it a landslide, because such thing as a Nickelback exists. I like our starters more than theirs, but don't base everything you love and know about our duo on the second half of last year. Were you watching Charles Woodson the first half of the year? Green Bay gets the edge here.

S: No discussion. Doesn't matter how fresh Considine is. Two words: Brian Dawkins.

Special teams: Eagles because 1.) David Akers, 2.) the Packers ST has to prove it's even okay.

And the last thing, which is kind of a sports cliche but I think there's some truth to it, is: the Eagles are battle tested. They play in a tougher division, they are competitive almost every year, they have more "superstars", they have more experience. They are regarded as a top team in the NFC and I don't think it's for nothing.

The Packers can win if the defense can make some plays and they don't have to pass every down. You familiar with Jim Johnson? He does pretty well with a lead against a predictable offense.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Packers WILL win. My source advised me the Eagles will not play to their potential. However, their second game they will rebound and destroy their competition.

Pack93z

Reaction score
We may just have to agree to disagree.

You make some good points, and I agree Jim Johnson is a heck of a DC... but I think this team is living on a rep moreso than talent within. We shall see.

The Eagles, not so much McNabb has had our number for a while.. I am sorry McNabb is not the world beater people make him out to be. He is better than Favre currently.. no doubt... but I just don't see him as an elite player. At times he flashes it and at others he is puking his guts out instead.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
evad04 said:
We may just have to agree to disagree.

You make some good points, and I agree Jim Johnson is a heck of a DC... but I think this team is living on a rep moreso than talent within. We shall see.

The Eagles, not so much McNabb has had our number for a while.. I am sorry McNabb is not the world beater people make him out to be. He is better than Favre currently.. no doubt... but I just don't see him as an elite player. At times he flashes it and at others he is puking his guts out instead.
I think McNabb's only problem is the injury-bug. When he's healthy, he's elite. The proof's in the puddin'.

Last year before McNabb went down, the only below average stat he had was completion percentage (57%... which can be argued was influenced by an inexperienced WR core... ala Favre the last few years). And despite that stat, he had a 3:1 TD/INT ratio (18 TDs, 6 INT) and a QB rating of 95.5. The caveat with McNabb is always the health factor... which you can't game-plan for. If he shows up and doesn't tear a kneecap off, he's a top-5 QB.

And McNabb always seems to make the plays when it counts against Green Bay: the fumble-happy rain fest in Green Bay a few years ago, won on account of a last minute McNabb drive; 4th and 26; the list goes on.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way. McNabb will make the HOF if he stays healthy for another two years. I don't like him, I don't like the Eagles, but he's really really good.

I think that our D has a huge edge. The iggles will blitz their brains out, but Favre+Driver+GregJennings+slantroutes= huge gains and a very effective WCO.

I like the Pack in this game, I love our potential this year, but this game scares me. I'm staying optimistic, but I'm scared.

Pack93z

Reaction score
On what grounds does McNabb make the HOF... 58% completion ratio.. the 150 TD's he thrown... the 2 to one TD to INT ratio that he owns.. none of that speaks HOF. Only thrown for more than 20 TD's in a season 3 times in his career. Two of them early in his career.

Garcia tore it up in Philly last year, does that make a case for Reid's ability to game plan? They have preformed above average without him due to injury. McNabb is a good QB.. no doubt but not a HOF QB.

Sorry... I would have an easier time choking down Eagle **** than that McNabb belongs in the HOF.

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
No way. McNabb will make the HOF if he stays healthy for another two years. I don't like him, I don't like the Eagles, but he's really really good.

I think that our D has a huge edge. The iggles will blitz their brains out, but Favre+Driver+GregJennings+slantroutes= huge gains and a very effective WCO.

I like the Pack in this game, I love our potential this year, but this game scares me. I'm staying optimistic, but I'm scared.
I know I continue my position with the risk of making enemies on this forum... but this is about the most unsubstantiated claim I've seen in a while.

Green Bay's defense has the advantage of playing as a unit the last year; that is, they're essentially the same defense but a year older, wiser, more comfortable with scheme, etc. In any case, it's hard to crown them as a top-rated defense when their biggest successes last year came against, well, bad teams. Defense stepped up against San Fran, Minnesota, and Detroit down the stretch. Chicago is the exception, but you can put a lot of that on a watered down offense chillin' out before the playoffs. Where was the Packers defense last year against GOOD teams? Anyone watch the New England game? How about the Jets game (which I, unfortunately, was at)?

Moving on: what have you SEEN that would suggest the Packers offense will light it up with slants? I mean... I love Brett to Driver on a slant as much as anyone else, but it's not exactly an offensive scheme. Slants. The Packers have to run well to win, and Jim Johnson's defense are a little more sophisticated than "blitz".

I share the optimism/scared thing with you. I think the Packers can make this a game... I just don't think it will play out with our defense showing a "huge edge" over Philly's defense; nor do I see "huge gains" from our West Coast offense (which by its very nature, is not conducive to big gains).

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the 2 to one TD to INT ratio that he owns.. none of that speaks HOF

Don't think I'm trolling you (as in fact I agree McNabb has a lot more to do to prove HOF worth) but just so we're on board: a 2:1 TD ratio is FANTASTIC.

The only HOF QBs with 2:1 TD to INT ratios are Montana (by a tiny margin) and Young (who was the most proficient QB ever in terms of QB rating, TD/INt ratio). Peyton Manning is on his way as well.

But other HOF QBs... like Elway, Marino, Aikman and even going way back to Otto Graham and Johnny Unitas... not even close to 2:1 ratio.

And Favre won't be close either.

Members online

Latest posts