Ahman Green

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i look at Green run, he is still running with speed and power. We Absolutely NEED to resign him. AHMAN GREEN IS BACK. 70 YARD TOUCHDOWN GALLOP.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When i look at Green run, he is still running with speed and power. We Absolutely NEED to resign him. AHMAN GREEN IS BACK. 70 YARD TOUCHDOWN GALLOP.

He's been alright this year. His #'s don't scream "resign me!" but he's done ok.

I'd give him an S for Satisfactory.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not a Pro Bowler and he's about average. I think he's more of a 3rd down back right now and a good one at that. I don't see him as the guy that can take on the workload. I know most think he's back and love Ahman but truth be told he'll never be the player he once was. He's at that age where backs need to accept a smaller role for the better of the team. Marshall Faulk is an example.

rundemc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has to pull himself out of the game to often to catch his breath be better off getting someone else to carry the majority of the load and use green to give the new starter a breather

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I see in '07 kind of what we had in '96 - Green and Morency splitting time in the backfield, with Beach and Herron backups. I'd like to resign Green, but I don't feel he's Green of '03. I still love the guy though, and really need a #30 jersey.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think he has been good comeing off of a big injury in the off season. and keeep in mind he did miss a few games this season.

but i do agree that he is not as good as he used to be. i think he will stay another year.

dxbfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green was a playmaker in 2003, unfortunately he hasnt been that this year. If you try to think of a game changing play that he's made this year, you probably won't be able to come up with one. I think TT did a good job with a heavily incentive laden contract this year and should probably do the same for next year but not more.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green was a playmaker in 2003, unfortunately he hasnt been that this year. If you try to think of a game changing play that he's made this year, you probably won't be able to come up with one. I think TT did a good job with a heavily incentive laden contract this year and should probably do the same for next year but not more.

Miami game maybe?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He's not a Pro Bowler and he's about average. I think he's more of a 3rd down back right now and a good one at that. I don't see him as the guy that can take on the workload. I know most think he's back and love Ahman but truth be told he'll never be the player he once was. He's at that age where backs need to accept a smaller role for the better of the team. Marshall Faulk is an example.

I totally disagree.

He's been asked to run behind a rookie line using 1/2 the playbook and learning a new scheme that is FAR from being a dominant force (or even a moderate force) in the NFL. And even so, he's done pretty well.

Curtis Martin was the leading rusher in the NFL at 34 a few years ago, and Ahman still has speed and power.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw away RB's and QB's in the NFL. They don't exactly grow on trees..

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um....recent history does indicate that RBs do in fact grow on trees. Good ones are found in every round and in FA with regularity. I will give you the QBs though....good ones are hard to come by.

OP
OP
P

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I totally disagree.

He's been asked to run behind a rookie line using 1/2 the playbook and learning a new scheme that is FAR from being a dominant force (or even a moderate force) in the NFL. And even so, he's done pretty well.

Curtis Martin was the leading rusher in the NFL at 34 a few years ago, and Ahman still has speed and power.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw away RB's and QB's in the NFL. They don't exactly grow on trees..

Fianlly someone who knows. Ahman is still fast!!....u see that 70 yard TD?!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ahman is above average. That's obvious. No where near elite status as he was through 2000-2003. When he's given the ball more and more he gets better and better. Heck, even the staff and 'real' media acknowledge that. It's just McCarthy fails to stick to the run and give it to him. OR that ahman can't handle the load? If thats true, then he's average.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

I totally disagree.

RB is actually one of the easiest positions to learn in football. In fact it probably is the easiest one. A lot of teams have backups whom could probably start for the Packers and a lot of teams use 2 Back systems now. No position grows on trees but if there was one, It might be a RB.

Ahman Green has clearly lost a step. He doesn't break the big runs as much as he has. In fact he's only had one big run this year and one big run is nothing to get excited about. He hasn't read the scheme as good as people had thought. His numbers are average and not that great. He could get 1000 yards but that's not that hard to do in the NFL. He's had two 100 yard games that weren't exactly stellar. "Pity" yards against the Bears and Jets prevent Defenses really.

Curtis Martin is one old RB that has done well. Everyone brings up the good stories but they don't look the other way. Emmitt Smith, Marshall Faulk, and Priest Holmes. Those guys most recently have retired. Faulk took the role as a 3rd down back last year. Priest split carries until he got hurt. That‘s what Green needs to do to farther the length of his career and ultimately help the Packers in the long run. Green's best days are behind him. He'll never have the success he once had. He can have his moments yet but he's no longer consistent.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Porky,

It's funny you don't mention the "disaster" of an offensive line he's being asked to run behind....

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Porky,

It's funny you don't mention the "disaster" of an offensive line he's being asked to run behind....

I wouldnt say a disaster....but that does play a role in it.. Mark Tauscher has been missed big time..Since he has been out they had the losing streak and couldnt seem to run the ball..

Bill Michaels host of the post game show on the packers flag ship station mentioned that Green left a lot of yards on the field, and he noticed that he missed some cuts, or couldnt break as fast as before.

Green has lost something, not sure if it is age, or the injury or maybe a combo of both..

I think he still has the power to break tackles, seems to have his overall speed intact, but his ability to cut and adjust on a dime looks like it is not where it used to be..

And that is probably more than anything the reason he isnt like he used to be.

And Porky, I think FG kicker is easier to learn then rb

:p

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Ahman Green needs to average 45 yards for the last three games to topple 1,000 yards. He's had two sometimes three rookie OL and a QB who SUCKS, heh jk I love Brett, I am serious about the OL. Not to mention the team is learning a new blocking scheme, which Green played with in College.

Ahman
vs Lions - 63 yards on 22 carries
vs Vikings - 55 yards on 22 carries
vs Bears - 110 yards on 20 carries

At home he got 100, the away games he got 118 combined. Now the table is turned. Lions an Vikings are coming HERE and the Bears won't have squat to play for in the last game! wait ... we suck at home

Lions 23rd in rush defense
Vikings 1st in rush defense
Bears 11th in rush defense

I don't think 'average' running backs get a 1,000 yards when 40-60% of yoru OL is in their FIRST year in the NFL. I put Ahman Green a tick above average.

*** LETS NOT FORGET THERE IS ONLY ONE TEAM WHO'S THROWN THE BALL MORE THAN THE PACKERS AND YET AHMAN GREEN WILL REACH 1,000 YARDS.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green needs to average 45 yards for the last three games to topple 1,000 yards. He's had two sometimes three rookie OL and a QB who SUCKS, heh jk I love Brett, I am serious about the OL. Not to mention the team is learning a new blocking scheme, which Green played with in College.

Ahman

At home he got 100, the away games he got 118 combined. Now the table is turned. Lions an Vikings are coming HERE and the Bears won't have squat to play for in the last game! wait ... we suck at home

I don't think 'average' running backs get a 1,000 yards when 40-60% of yoru OL is in their FIRST year in the NFL. I put Ahman Green a tick above average.

*** LETS NOT FORGET THERE IS ONLY ONE TEAM WHO'S THROWN THE BALL MORE THAN THE PACKERS AND YET AHMAN GREEN WILL REACH 1,000 YARDS.

Good post. Here are some all-time stats for Green. I don't think too many people besides Packer fans realize how good he is when compared to the all-time greats:

Among the league's all-time top 50
Rushes: 37
Rushing yards: 29
Rushing TDs: 41t
Yards from scrimmage: 50

Good argument. I think he is better than average. Still not the Mr. Green of 2003, but better than average. Splitting time with Morency in '07 (and beyond) will extend his career. There's a good shot that he can finish his career in the top 20 of all-time, possibly even higher, depending if he wants to finish his career as a 3rd down back.

All-time leaders

1. E Smith 18355
2. W Payton 16726
3. B Sanders 15269
4. C Martin 14101
5. J Bettis 13662
6. E ****erson 13259
7. T Dorsett 12739
8. J Brown 12312
9. M Faulk 12279
10. M Allen 12243
11. F Harris 12120
12. T Thomas 12074
13. J Riggins 11352
14. O Simpson 11236
15. *C Dillon 11083
16. R Watters 10643
17. E George 10441
18. O Anderson 10273
19. *E James 10151
20. *T Barber 10068
21. *F Taylor 9450
22. E Campbell 9407
23. *W Dunn 9318
24. *L Tomlinson 8788
25. T Allen 8614
26. J Taylor 8597
27. *S Alexander 8408
28. J Perry 8378
29. *A Green 8299

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ahman

To run for 1,000 yards in the NFL you only need to average 62.5 yards a game. That is actually a very easy number to obtain even behind a rookie offensive line. The amount of carries needed to average that is not terribly high either. A tick above average in my opinion isn't stretching it at all. I think that's a fair assessment but stretching it would be considering Ahman Green is back and that he is not.

I do think he's average right now and will remain average for the rest of his career. 1,000 yards in the NFL is not special anymore IMO. It hasn't been for a long time. He's a free agent and isn't worth top dollar either. I think he can be a real contributor to this team as a 3rd down back and change of pace back for someone younger and better and it would ultimately help this teams running game for the long run.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
To run for 1,000 yards in the NFL you only need to average 62.5 yards a game. That is actually a very easy number to obtain even behind a rookie offensive line. The amount of carries needed to average that is not terribly high either. A tick above average in my opinion isn't stretching it at all. I think that's a fair assessment but stretching it would be considering Ahman Green is back and that he is not.

I do think he's average right now and will remain average for the rest of his career. 1,000 yards in the NFL is not special anymore IMO. It hasn't been for a long time. He's a free agent and isn't worth top dollar either. I think he can be a real contributor to this team as a 3rd down back and change of pace back for someone younger and better and it would ultimately help this teams running game for the long run.

Getting 1,000 is ' actually veryeasy' ? Suit your *** up and lets see you do it.

Does getting 1,000 mean what it did just ten years ago? I'd have to say, not so much. But to say its easy is ... you form your own 'special' word for that. To say its easy sounds like its coming from someone who's taken it for granted that their team has 1,000 yard back season after season. I however remember the years when we'd be lucky to get a back over 600-800 yards.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is 1000 yards easy to do nowadays?

In 2005. 16 RBs ran for over 1000 yards. There were 32 teams in 2005. That means 50% of teams had someone rushing over 1000 yards.

I'm not going to go ten years back, because sports.yahoo.com/nfl doesn't have those stats handy and I don't feel like spending a half hour digging them up. So I'll go back to 2001...

In 2001, there were 31 teams, and 15 rushers getting 1000+ yards. That's almost 50% once again.

I remember back in the days when 1000 yards meant something. Since going to the 16 game season, 1000+ yards means better than average. It no longer means top five running backs.

That said, Green didn't play the whole season, and he should get over 1000 yards. That puts him in the "better than average" category, plus with a bonus of still getting 1000+ yards without playing a full season and with a young OL. So I'd put Green at "better than better than average."

If I were running the team, I'd resign Green for another year, and do it year by year. I'd split time with Morency about 50/50, keeping both running backs fresh. I'd stick to the run more, and keep some of the wear and tear off our QBs. Green is still a good running back, if you compare him to his peers (other NFL running backs).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting 1,000 is ' actually veryeasy' ? Suit your *** up and lets see you do it.

Does getting 1,000 mean what it did just ten years ago? I'd have to say, not so much. But to say its easy is ... you form your own 'special' word for that. To say its easy sounds like its coming from someone who's taken it for granted that their team has 1,000 yard back season after season. I however remember the years when we'd be lucky to get a back over 600-800 yards.

Suit my *** up and do it? I'm not a professional football player. I'm not making a million dollars a year. I don't practice every day. I don't train and workout for the NFL every day in the off season. Ahman Green does.

Green is currently 21st in the NFL in rushing yardage. That’s not that great. So for the sake of discussion he's going to get 1000 yards. There is a good chance that 20 others will as well. One of them will have 2 with the Falcons. Vick and Dunn. So 20 out of 32 teams will have 1000 yard rushers. That's not counting the possibility of Willis McGahee and Carnell Williams getting 1000 yards either. That’s more than half. It’s not that meaningful of a stat any longer. Part of it is we play 16 instead of 12 or 14 games now.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he's over the top as the guy, but if we can get him for a decent price I don't see why we shouldn't resign the guy and let him finish his career in Green Bay.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Green is currently 21st in the NFL in rushing yardage. That’s not that great.

I must have forgotten I said Green was great. I thought I said he was just a tick above average.

Suit my *** up and do it? I'm not a professional football player. I'm not making a million dollars a year. I don't practice every day. I don't train and workout for the NFL every day in the off season. Ahman Green does.
You say that just posts after you say its 'very easy'... training everyday doesn't sound 'very easy' to me.

Members online

Latest posts