Ahman Green

NCPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know we have more pressing issues this offseason (defense, Wahle, Rivera, Franks) and Green is under contract through next season, but I think this will be one of the new GM's biggest decisions. If Thompson doesn't renegotiate Greens contract this offseason I'm afraid he will feel slighted by the Packers and basically go into 2005 with the attitude that he is auditioning for another team for 2006. Short term, that would be a good thing for the Packers because he'll want to put up big numbers, but IMO, Green has earned his big pay day already and since he's still fairly young, I think it would be a big mistake to let this guy get away. The occasional fumbles aside, Green is the best back the Packers have had since the Lombardi years. He never seems to complain and keeps himself in prime condition. I also don't think he'll turn into another Antonio Freeman and go into the tank after getting the big bucks. On a similar note, I DO think it would be a good idea to explore trade options for Najeh Davenport. He showed again this year that he can't remain healthy enough to be counted on and he had two fumbles in the Viking playoff game (fortunately recovered by Packers or the final score could have been much worse).

fondypackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green is a great player but I think that if Davenport can prove he can stay healthy we have to take a look at signing him since he is two years younger and will be considerably cheaper.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree on green. don't get me wrong i love him but that scary age of 30 for rbs is close. he was back down to earth last yr after a career yr.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya have to be realistic (Green has been having his share of troubles with the constant fumbles, right?)
As mush as i love Ahman Green and what he as done for the running game. This year his fumbling sure seamed to come at all the wrong times. Those fumbles sure turned games around and not to the Packers favor. I just don't see this problem ever going away.

stuffin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know defense is the big issue but, I hope THE PACKERS (on day one) draft one of the many quality RBs this year.

I love Green and Davenport, but both disappeared at times during the season. This is an area THE PACKERS can't overlook because they think Green and Davenport are sufficient. Both have trade value, so drafting a younger back could help the team.

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do appreciate having Green as a RB for the Packers. I do think the Packers have more pressing needs. The early 30s is a age most RBs start declining in ability. I would wait, until the fall to consider extending Green's contract. Drafting a quality RB in the draft is probably a good idea. Davenport does have injury issues. Tony Fisher beat all odds to become a NFL player, but he is not a consistent starter.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I mentioned something about trading A. Green during that four game slide in hopes that Davenport would blossom as our starter. Instead, Davenport got injured and proved unreliable health wise.

Members online

Latest posts