Ahman Green

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been struggling over making this post since last Sunday. The more I watch the tapes the more I think I have to say this alhough it hurts to do it.
I believe Green is washed up! He is slow hitting the hole and he goes down very easily. He is not the running back he was.
I don't think he is the guy to give it to on third down as some have suggested. Perhaps there is a reason he is not getting many carries a game.
The problem is there is no replacement for him. Davenport can't stay healthy and does not have the elusiveness Green used to have. Behind Davenport we have nothing.
What happened to Walt Williams? Not that he would start but he would be a good relief for Davenport.
CHANGE IS ALWAYS PAINFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm searchin' NFL.com etc - and finding nothing on Walt Williams at this time.... Can anyone else find anything? It could be that somehow, the Packers may still have an angle to pull on this guy....

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like green. It is well documented that he starts slow. It is week 2. well 3 now. He will improve. Oh yeah, not getting the ball 20 times in a game yet sure isnt helping.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I like green. It is well documented that he starts slow. It is week 2. well 3 now. He will improve. Oh yeah, not getting the ball 20 times in a game yet sure isnt helping.

It's those back spasms I'm not likin'... worse this year than any other....

Only Williams I can find so far is this one....

# 0 Chaz Williams

No Walt Williams.... unless his real name is Chaz... :shock:

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Badgers tonight provided an important lesson as to why it's important to continue to call running plays. Green usually gets stronger as the game goes on but is getting no carries despite us still being in the game.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

You're right. I mean come on, he averaged 5 yards a carry against Detroit and we stopped using him. Green is fine--but that asthma thing bugs the crap out of me. Just when he gets in a groove he has to come out of the game.

Love Ahamn, but because of that asthma, I DO NOT want to re-sign him next season.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
You're right. I mean come on, he averaged 5 yards a carry against Detroit and we stopped using him.

wasn't that due to muscle/back spasms? i hear you on the asthma issue though. i think he'll silence some critics tomorrow hopefully...actually, that goes for our entire offense. :beer:

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
You're right. I mean come on, he averaged 5 yards a carry against Detroit and we stopped using him. Green is fine--but that asthma thing bugs the crap out of me. Just when he gets in a groove he has to come out of the game.

Love Ahamn, but because of that asthma, I DO NOT want to re-sign him next season.

Ummm...I'm sure he had asthma during us 1800+ yd. season. Was it bad to have him then too?

What kind of rationale is it to not re-sign a star running back just because he has asthma? How silly.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have you ever had muscle/back-spasms?

Have you ever had asthma?

Have you ever had a Rossleyectomy?

Have you ever had a Shermanoctomy?

Have you ever had a passion that is lost becuase there is no fire in the locker room?

I have been through this, many times with my Raidaahhs....

I am going through it all again right now with my Packers, but I think my Raiders are on the rise.

The Packers need a major change in the coaching staff. They need to do it now, not at the end of the year. I think Sherman is a great coach but sometimes teams need a change, a new forward agenda, a new outlook on life. Damn... Look at the coaches who lost control of situations and just needed a new start and look at teams who had good coaches but just needed a new atmosphere to change the tide of success.

Larry Brown is a perfect example, although I am not a NBA Fan at all.... It is all about momentum, attitude, confidence, and again momentum, momentum, momentum.

Sherman has lost control of this team, it is evident in what is being said by some of the players. The best thing for the Packers and a very good coach "Mike Sherman" could do for each other right now is part ways and plant a new garden, tend it, and watch it grow.

Both Sherman and the Packers will be back, and in my opinion if they were seperated from each other right now they both would be doing far better than they are.

Just my opinoin... For what it is worth.

RP

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Ummm...I'm sure he had asthma during us 1800+ yd. season. Was it bad to have him then too?

What kind of rationale is it to not re-sign a star running back just because he has asthma? How silly.

Very good rationale, that's what. Its time to move on. The guy is going to want big money, and he's not worth it. He's on the downside of his career and we shouldn't waste big money on him.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green didn't rush for over 100 yards a game in the final 7 games of last season either. He could have started slowing down last year already.

It's hard to tell this year though because it seems like we are always playing from behind and because our O-line is still a work in progress.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man...I dont know where I stand on the "do we sign him" next year debate. I probably lean towards no, but...I like green, I have a green jersey!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
Green didn't rush for over 100 yards a game in the final 7 games of last season either. He could have started slowing down last year already.

It's hard to tell this year though because it seems like we are always playing from behind and because our O-line is still a work in progress.

AZ's right - last year he "was" slowing down... We just didn't have much emphasis on watching just the RB at the time and Favre was workin' his butt off under tough circumstances....

I would offer that if Green doesn't turn it around this game, then TT would, or should already, be looking at finding a definitive replacement at that position. Sherman, of course, will want to stick with "his" guys... which at this point probably would be a bad move... Bringing back Walt Williams, however, pending he is out there and "available"... IMHO, would be the best option to play at this point. We'd still have Najeh (Sofa) Davenport as the main catalyst, with Tony (Notre Dame) Fisher to spell everyone and Walt Williams could share the load at 30/30/30 for the Trio.... Personally, I think Ahman Green may actually be in poorer health than years previously, but isn't letting on, due to pride or concern for the Team. This, of course, is a bad tactic to play - a Player must be honest about his assessment to the Team.... at all times... Is Batman doing that, or not, remains the question (???)

By the fourth game, TT should already have something as an option for the Coaches to fall back on... that's the GM's job.. to provide resources.. From my searches on the web - NO ONE has grabbed Walt Williams, or else I'm just not finding anything about him since he was cut by the Packers... Others, (AZ), can step up to help find info....

====================================

Side Note - relating back to the Browns game - this week, the Colts only have Edgerrin James to use, both backups at RB, Rhodes & Mungro are out -which leaves only Rookies behind James.. that could play into Romeo Crennel's Defensive scheme.. Be interesting to see if the Packers were just playing down to them, or maybe they're pulling a Cincinnati and beginning to blossom after all... I'll be comparing the two games from ours last week to the Colts this week to watch that aspect.

wischeez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walt Williams was cut by the Packers on Sept.2, 2005.

As far as I can tell,no other team has picked him up so he should still be out there somewhere.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RP IMHO you are 100% right on coaching.

On the other hand I am sad we didnt keep Williams, maybe we should look for him and for another FA receiver... just my opinion folks..

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride: That was a downright eloquent post about the coaching staff. Too bad you buried it in this thread about Ahman Green. I think you are right, but the change with the coaching staff, unfortunately, needed to happen last winter. And the contract extension came at a weird time, with the team floundering in the preseason.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was the 10th straight game, counting playoffs, in which Green rushed for fewer than 100 yards. In those games, he has averages of 54.9 yards per game and 3.76 per carry.

So 7 of those games included Wahle and Rivera from last year.

After three games this year, Green is averaging 15.7 carries, 56.7 yards and 3.62 yards per carry. His career high for attempts is 33 at Carolina in the '04 opener.

I agree Ahman hasn't been getting good blocking, but I'm starting to wonder if he has slipped a little too, because his numbers were going down last year already with Wahle and Rivera.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was moderately obvious that even if Green had a good (but not phenomenal) year, the Packers wouldn't be able to keep him, which could lead to sort of a Sharper-esque exodus...however, w/ him performing like this, Ahman is putting his own writing on the wall.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the problem is he's not getting the same amount of reps that he has in the past. I can't figure it out. This is something about Sherman that bugs the crap out of me. Why we abandoned the run when we are a power running team has me clueless.
Rossley's stink is all over this quandry. If Sherman is going to keep accepting bum gameplans like that, then he deserves to be kicked out on his *** with his buddy.

RUSHING ATTEMPTS
Carnell Williams TB 88
Shaun Alexander SEA 64
Willie Parker PIT 64
Edgerrin James IND 77
LaDainian Tomlinson SD 59
Rudi Johnson CIN 73
Willis McGahee BUF 62
Thomas Jones CHI 62
Warrick Dunn ATL 52
Julius Jones DAL 74
Fred Taylor JAC 73