Ahman Green Sterling Sharpe HOF careers cut short by injury?

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it may not have been discussed for some time, I think most people agree that Sharpe would have been a HOF'er if he hadn't been forced out by injury. With Favre at QB and a WCO he would have generated the numbers and the Pack might have gotten more hardware from 1993-1998 when the Pack had Favre, Sharpe, White, and all the rest. With the shape he kept himself in, there can be little doubt he would have doubled his tenure in the NFL and likely be the second or third best receiver in terms of yardage in the recent modern era. Even just five more years probably would have gotten him into the HOF, assuming a Super Bowl or two in the 90's especially.

But what about Ahman Green? Green had only 6 truly productive seasons and yet ranks about 15th in yards from scrimmage for running backs from 1990-2009. He got hurt in 2005, came back in 2006 with a nice season in a mediocre year for the team, and if was still around as the Pack reloaded at the end of the 2000's, I think he would have gotten nice yards. But he wanted more money and he went to Houston. There, he suffered several injuries and his career effectively ended. But whereever he went, if he had had five more average seasons (say 1400 yards from scrimmage, very doable without the injuries) he would have vaulted to third in y-f-s for RB's from 1990-2009. That would be right up there with Faulk and Tomlinson and Sanders. Faulk and Sanders are already in and Green would have been sandwiched between the two.

To me, I think there were two Packer great careers cut short by injury (I say as such because if Green had been worth it, the Packers wouldn't have let him walk to Houston, but then again Thompson might have anyway).

Long story longer, it's too bad that their careers were cut short, but I think people need to keep these two guys in mind when they toss around the "the Pack didn't have HOF talent" comment, especially in excusing Favre's lack of championship success. While not having them for their whole careers, the Pack had White and now have Woodson (who if plays well for a few more years, and keeps his legacy clean, very well may be a HOF'er too). So, given speculation and more careers not ended by injury, the Packers will have had Sharpe, White, Favre, Green, Woodson, and now Rodgers in the fold over the last two decades. Only about 1% of the guys who play will make the HOF. The Pack have had about 471 guys play from 1992-2010, so that would be about 5 HOF'ers coming through. I think without injury the Packers would have met their quota. Toss in other guys like Driver, Grant, Walker, Al Harris, and others the Packers had some fine teams.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Green is a HoF. Sterling, absolutely, even with so little production. Fact is, he completely dominated while he played, he was arguably the best receiver in the league, if not, top 3, during his time. He broke regular season records. And, if Shannon is in the HoF and said Sterling was much better than him, he should be.

One guy that I think is overlooked is LeRoy Butler. He was, again, the best safety in his time, and was voted to the 90's decade team. And he was a productive player for an extended period of time.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green? HOF? are we using these two in the same sentence?

Fred Taylor and Ahman Green came into the league the same year I think and put up very similar numbers but I dont think anyone is making their case for canton.

Sterling? yeah I agree, he would have a been a HOF caliber player at the end of his career had it not been for the injury.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
We let Ahman Green go because he didn't have much left in the tank. Great player for a few years but not close to being a hall of famer.

Sterling was on his way to becoming a HOF but, like you said, was stopped by injuries.

Charles Woodson could retire tomorrow and be in the hall of fame. Numerous Pro Bowls, a DPOY award and now a Super Bowl ring? His impact on this defense has been nothing short of incredible for about three years now and we would not be looking to defend the title without him.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The life of an NFL running back really isn't too long. And they usually go out the same way Ahman Green went out. Just the nature of the business. He was a very good back in his prime. He wasn't a HOFer.

Sterling however, is a different story.

Reaction score
I agree Sterling Sharpe would have made the HOF if he didn't get hurt. But I just can't agree with Ahmad Green. Good to great player for a stretch with GB, but not HOF material.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman Green? HOF? are we using these two in the same sentence?.

Yes, a great back for several years, but not HOF. Pro Football Reference lists players with similar careers. For Green they list the following:
Chuck Foreman
Wilbert Montgomery
Larry Brown
Charlie Garner
Lawrence McCutchen
Clinton Portis
Shaun Alexander
Brian Westbrook
Garrison Hearst
and
Eric ****erson

All very good backs, with ****erson the only member of the HOF. However, it is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sterling was amazing and like everyone said would be in the Hall had he played another 2 years assuming his stats were consistent. Green was productive but not dominant.

Rodgers2Finley4TDs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No to Ahman Green getting into the Hall. He had one HoF season but that's it. And it had a lot to do with the offensive line's great play.

jwmann2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see Green as a hall of famer. He just wasn't a SuperStar dominant RB. Believe it or not, the only Hall of Famers I see on the current roster are Woodson and Matthews.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Green is a HoF. Sterling, absolutely, even with so little production. Fact is, he completely dominated while he played, he was arguably the best receiver in the league, if not, top 3, during his time. He broke regular season records. And, if Shannon is in the HoF and said Sterling was much better than him, he should be.
Absolutely.
Sterling and Jerry Rice, for those 7 years, were the CLEAR best 2 WRs in the NFL.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not see Green as a hall of famer. He just wasn't a SuperStar dominant RB. Believe it or not, the only Hall of Famers I see on the current roster are Woodson and Matthews.

Did you mean Rodgers and Matthews?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it may not have been discussed for some time, I think most people agree that Sharpe would have been a HOF'er if he hadn't been forced out by injury. With Favre at QB and a WCO he would have generated the numbers and the Pack might have gotten more hardware from 1993-1998 when the Pack had Favre, Sharpe, White, and all the rest. With the shape he kept himself in, there can be little doubt he would have doubled his tenure in the NFL and likely be the second or third best receiver in terms of yardage in the recent modern era. Even just five more years probably would have gotten him into the HOF, assuming a Super Bowl or two in the 90's especially.

But what about Ahman Green? Green had only 6 truly productive seasons and yet ranks about 15th in yards from scrimmage for running backs from 1990-2009. He got hurt in 2005, came back in 2006 with a nice season in a mediocre year for the team, and if was still around as the Pack reloaded at the end of the 2000's, I think he would have gotten nice yards. But he wanted more money and he went to Houston. There, he suffered several injuries and his career effectively ended. But whereever he went, if he had had five more average seasons (say 1400 yards from scrimmage, very doable without the injuries) he would have vaulted to third in y-f-s for RB's from 1990-2009. That would be right up there with Faulk and Tomlinson and Sanders. Faulk and Sanders are already in and Green would have been sandwiched between the two.

To me, I think there were two Packer great careers cut short by injury (I say as such because if Green had been worth it, the Packers wouldn't have let him walk to Houston, but then again Thompson might have anyway).

Long story longer, it's too bad that their careers were cut short, but I think people need to keep these two guys in mind when they toss around the "the Pack didn't have HOF talent" comment, especially in excusing Favre's lack of championship success. While not having them for their whole careers, the Pack had White and now have Woodson (who if plays well for a few more years, and keeps his legacy clean, very well may be a HOF'er too). So, given speculation and more careers not ended by injury, the Packers will have had Sharpe, White, Favre, Green, Woodson, and now Rodgers in the fold over the last two decades. Only about 1% of the guys who play will make the HOF. The Pack have had about 471 guys play from 1992-2010, so that would be about 5 HOF'ers coming through. I think without injury the Packers would have met their quota. Toss in other guys like Driver, Grant, Walker, Al Harris, and others the Packers had some fine teams.

Butler was ridiculous, guy could do it all. He could cover like a cornerback and play like an LB when asked, first SS to record 20 interceptions and 20 sacks in a career.

Woodson could retire today and he'd get in, probably first ballot. The man is a 7 time all pro with 8 pro bowls and an DPOY to fill out his resumes, that's more impressive than more half the guys in Canton. 55 picks, 29 Forced fumbles, 17 sacks and 11 tds... not many playmakers like him to have played the game period.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had Sterling played with Favre his entire career, maybe we'd get to see him in the Hall. But he played on some poor teams before Wolf and Holmgren came along. Fact is, he had the talent of a HoF'er, but didn't put up the numbers overall to get in. A damn shame, but it's not going to ever happen.

Members online

Latest posts