1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon... Update: Announcement to be released on MONDAY!

Ahman Green/Samkon Gado

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    Gado took some snaps with the first team.

As Fullback.

This intrigues me. It gives us two good runners in the backfield and imagine the potential.

Flea Flicker would be great, I think.

Hand off to Gado,
    Pitch back to Favre,
    Look deep, throw it.
    Else, dump off to Green in the flat.

2. Popcynical

Popcynical Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm.. haven't almost all of our RBs taken snaps at fullback so far?

3. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Gado's got the size to do this. Hopefully he's got the run blocking skills too.

4. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Every running back has taken reps as fullback now. From everything I've read, the scheme is going to call more for recieving fullbacks and less for blocking fullbacks so it should be a good move.

5. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    He's always looked like more of a fullback than tailback. It seems to make a lot of sense, but can he pick it up? It appears the learning curve as it relates to football isn't very steep for Gado

6. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    He does have the size, as Davenport does too. It could open up some more possibilities!

7. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    but can he block? thats a major skill for a fullback, his running skills would be very useful at fullback and that would shorten up the RB depth.

8. DePack

DePack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Can he catch? Because Leach has hands of stone!

9. wayneweltzin

wayneweltzin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What about Davenport, He was a FB at the "U" back in the day? heck why not use the power I :twisted:

10. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    but Henderson has some good hands for catching but he is injured for a while.

11. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    thats a good Idea but what about Henderson when he's healthy, Just dump him off

12. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not odd for all RB's to work at FB during camp. You can't carry 4 FB's so part of evaluating a RB is to try him at FB in case of injuries. When it comes down to it however the FB's main job is to block and Leach does that better than anyone we have. Weare not going to keep a FB because he catches better than another. His primary job is to block.

13. wayneweltzin

wayneweltzin Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Henderson will always have a place on the Pack. The guy is like the most agile big man and great hands. why not make a "super power I" with Gado, Henderson, Green and Davenport, with their powers combined ...........ahh maybe not.....But for Henderson, I think he will always will be a Packer, even after his playing days he will be a coach.

14. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this shows that Leach has been a dissapointment. With Henderson down, if Leach was the "future" then this would be his chance to sign. Instead they play around with Gado and I saw some things about Herron at FB as well.

Makes me more confident that Thompson just keeps the 5 best backs instead of 3 RB's and 2 FB's.

15. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Leach is the best blocking back on this roster. He is a FB for a reason. As stated it's not out of the ordinary for all backs to get reps at FB during camp. You can't carry 5 FB's. With Henderson hurt they are likely trying to familiarize the other backswith the FB position in case Leach goes down as well.

16. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The offense were are in doesn't really need a power blocking FB like Leach. It needs someone who can catch out of the backfield. Henderson has some of the best hands on the teams. Leach from what we've seen hasn't shown he can do anything other than block.

17. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    By all accounts, Davenport is a poor blocker in spite of his size and strength, so he appears to be out of the running for the fullback position. I have heard that in McCarthy's offense the fullback blocks more in open space, so it is better for him to be smaller and more agile than a typical fullack. In the first two preseason games, the fullbacks seem to be performing the same function they did under Mike Sherman, so I don't know if this is true. But it is something to keep in mind.

I would love to see Ahman and Samkon in the backfield at the same time. It would give defenses something to think about. Even their names sound good together.

18. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Ahman and Samkon doesn't sound as good as Gado and Green.

but I still like the sent there in with Ahman and Henderson but he is getting older and Leach is coming in more and more and dropping passes more and more, so atleast he can block.