Ahmad "holding 28 defense" Carroll loses starting

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say, most knowledgeable Packer fans saw this coming after what occurred in Carroll's rookie season. He is now not a rookie any more and was expected to correct his rookie holding etc mistakes. He did not do correct the penalty problems in first game of this season season at Detroit. Therefore the Packer coaching staff
had to go in another direction- Joey Thomas. Carroll was a liability to the Packer defense. He must break his habits of holding of opposing wrs or risk being considered a first round "bust' at Green Bay . Benching was an easy call. Giving up on Carroll at this point of his career, because of this, would be tougher decision, which I hope doesn't have to made.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a God.

:lol:

"As I said to him, he has a history and that history lives with him," Sherman said. "There is no excuse. I don't care if they call four on you and they don't show up on tape, it doesn't matter. And he understands that."

I like that quote...MS admitted that 2 were very questionable, but point being that AC's reputation alone is causing a few penalties.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm also wondering...is the reluctance of MS to bench AC a matter of MS not wanting to swallow his pride for drafting him, or is this a bad sign that Joey Thomas is worse than we think he is?!?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman played Michael "Lead Boots" Hawthorne for HOW many weeks? He was a MS guy, remember?

Either misplaced loyalty or CYA, Sherman has let too many hacks get too many downs. Tyrone Davis, anyone?

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll

This is CYA by Sherman, who I have lost all respect for. One of the calls was so bad that even the announcers from Detroit said it was and Carroll was at the line of scrimage when the receiver ran into him. Trade Carroll and fire Sherman.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He drafted Joey Thomas too. Hey pax.....why not just blow up Lambeau Field and start all over? You sound like an eagle fan this morning.

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's at least see Thomas play. It can't be worse. Hell if he doesn't hold or PI every play they will at least get honest yards instead of a 100 in penalties.

OP
OP
T

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joey had great coverage all day, granted it was not against Rogers or Williams, but I don't remember him giving up a play all day. Carroll really didn't give up anything either. In terms of coverage it's probably a wash as between the two of them, it's just that Thomas won't give up the free yards.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan said:
Let's at least see Thomas play. It can't be worse. Hell if he doesn't hold or PI every play they will at least get honest yards instead of a 100 in penalties.
I think BATES just got his way with Sherman over AC.
Now, if he'd just let Beightol do what he wants to do....

Both Ruegamer and WELLS should have been sent in as switch hitters for the O-Line.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
He drafted Joey Thomas too. Hey pax.....why not just blow up Lambeau Field and start all over? You sound like an eagle fan this morning.

Hilarious! But I agree, we jump on MS' back for all the boneheaded GM moves but forget that he drafted the same guys were yelling at him to put in.

And, as TOpf said, if it weren't for the penalties ( mind you, that's a pretty big deal) his coverage skills seem to have drastically improved.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
MS admitted that 2 were very questionable, but point being that AC's reputation alone is causing a few penalties.

And thats why it is best to use Carroll as the nickelback from now on. He can kind of sneak in and out and not have the constant microscope on him. This is a good move IMHO.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think Sherman pulled AC because he wants to win, nothing more nothing less. So lets wait and see how Thomas or Hawkins fills the role. (i'm not sure who they named the starter but i read sherman was really high on hawkins)

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
An instant classic, Hammer!!
It should be on ESPN classic tomorrow.
Speaking of which, I caught the end of a preview for ESPN classic "biography" or whatever they call those profiles for Reggie. I didn't catch the time or date and forgot to look it up in the guide. Anybody else see this, or am I hallucinating?
Hammer

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know the history of carrol, but this could be something you are going to see alot from defenders covering lions receivers. They are all big physical receivers. (no rogers collarbone jokes please). If the announcers were right carrol is only 5'10" tall. Check out the lions receivers;

WR Roy Williams- 6' 2" 212 lbs
WR Charles Rogers- 6' 3" 220 lbs
WR Mike Williams- 6' 4" 229 lbs
TE Marcus Pollard- 6' 3" 247 lbs

Add all the hype about detroit having 3 number 1 draft picks spent on receivers in 3 years and that could be intimidating by itself. If corners don't play physical with these guys they're going to get run over.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
"3 number one picks spent on receivers in 3 years" is one of the reasons the Cubs will never win the division.

I dunno, the colts have been pretty good with just a high powered offense the past few years.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
big3 said:
DePack said:
"3 number one picks spent on receivers in 3 years" is one of the reasons the Cubs will never win the division.

I dunno, the colts have been pretty good with just a high powered offense the past few years.

Colts defense is not as bad as lots of people think. Consider how often they are on the field though because the Colts O is so fast to score. If the Colts could punish the D for 8-10min drives their D would be a lot better.

Members online

Latest posts