Ahmad Carroll=Scapegoat

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

I agree. People can swing it on others or people can say things differently but in the end Carroll will never live up to his 1st round pick. He's just not a very good football player. He's a track star playing football pretty much.

Carroll was beaten twice on Monday very badly. One was for a TD. He was beaten badly against the Saints as well where he just completely took the fake. While the safeties aren't playing well right now, Ahmad Carroll is not the solution to getting the secondary better. I'm glad he's gone. I didn't care how they got rid of him. It's best for the Packers and Ahmad Carroll as well. Some times guys need a new place and a fresh start. He'll get that some where’s eventually because of his speed he'll stay in the NFL for a while but will never be anything special and that’s what we all hoped for.

That wasn't the topic porky. I don't think anyone on this thread was saying Carroll "ever lived up to his 1st round pick". Nobody has said he "is the solution to getting the secondary better". The same however could be said for Manuel whom we just signed for 10 million. Now please go back to the beginning of this thread and answer the question. I expect trom to change the subject...not you.

Good Post DePack.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

I agree. People can swing it on others or people can say things differently but in the end Carroll will never live up to his 1st round pick. He's just not a very good football player. He's a track star playing football pretty much.

Carroll was beaten twice on Monday very badly. One was for a TD. He was beaten badly against the Saints as well where he just completely took the fake. While the safeties aren't playing well right now, Ahmad Carroll is not the solution to getting the secondary better. I'm glad he's gone. I didn't care how they got rid of him. It's best for the Packers and Ahmad Carroll as well. Some times guys need a new place and a fresh start. He'll get that some where’s eventually because of his speed he'll stay in the NFL for a while but will never be anything special and that’s what we all hoped for.

That wasn't the topic porky. I don't think anyone on this thread was saying Carroll "ever lived up to his 1st round pick". Nobody has said he "is the solution to getting the secondary better". The same however could be said for Manuel whom we just signed for 10 million. Now please go back to the beginning of this thread and answer the question. I expect trom to change the subject...not you.

What was the topic then? How Ahmad Carroll isn't as bad as people think?

Makes no sense. Carroll is gone now. Was he a scapegoat to releave pressure? I doubt it but if it was it didn't work. Nobody in GB has forgotten about the lost Monday Night and if they lose to the Rams nobody will forget about that.

Example: Everyone was glad to see him go on the radio yesterday but they still talked about Manuel and they still pointed the finger at Ted Thompson and rightfully so.

Firing the Head Coach would give them a scapegoat in well we had to change coaches in the middle of the year hence why we are bad. Rams with Martz's health problems were an example last year at this time. Lions as well.

pantherd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
pantherd said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

That reminds me, thank you guys for passing on Chris Gamble in 04.

AHH! THAT WAS MEAN! LOL!

I calls 'em likes I sees 'em. It isn't like you're the only team to ever make a bad pick. Heck, I remember screaming at the television like a teenage girl in a horror film when Carolina selected DE Jason Peters out of Nebraska instead of DE Vonnie Holiday out of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Oh what a bad day, and decision, that turned out to be.

Turn about is fair play.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
porky88 said:
tromadz said:
Ahmad Carroll=Bad player

What was the topic then? How Ahmad Carroll isn't as bad as people think?

Makes no sense. Carroll is gone now. Was he a scapegoat to releave pressure? I doubt it but if it was it didn't work. Nobody in GB has forgotten about the lost Monday Night and if they lose to the Rams nobody will forget about that.

Example: Everyone was glad to see him go on the radio yesterday but they still talked about Manuel and they still pointed the finger at Ted Thompson and rightfully so.

Firing the Head Coach would give them a scapegoat in well we had to change coaches in the middle of the year hence why we are bad. Rams with Martz's health problems were an example last year at this time. Lions as well.

But instead we just flip our roster throughout the year.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
hmmm...lemme pull it outta my g-string! ahaaa...there it is! ;)

why is the topic BROWN now?

ewwwwwww

and oh yeah, AC is gone...yay. I hope things work out for him somewhere else (AFL).

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the things i could say but, i'll be good.

ahmad carroll is the scapegoat of the day/week/possibly season, imho.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
No

He was the same rookie player he was in 2004.
Lack of progress and the same old problems demonstrated that he was just never going to be any better.

In a rebuilding year either a CB will develop or another with more potential will be drafted.

We're forgetting (and maybe someone brought it up and i didn't see it), that Carroll scored single digits on the wonderlic test, which is why even though he is an amazing physical specimen, he cant adapt to anything cognitive

Good move, break in Jarrett Bush, or...hell, ME

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HatestheEagles084 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:
No

He was the same rookie player he was in 2004.
Lack of progress and the same old problems demonstrated that he was just never going to be any better.

In a rebuilding year either a CB will develop or another with more potential will be drafted.

We're forgetting (and maybe someone brought it up and i didn't see it), that Carroll scored single digits on the wonderlic test, which is why even though he is an amazing physical specimen, he cant adapt to anything cognitive

Good move, break in Jarrett Bush, or...hell, ME

Walker scored low on his wonderlic to.....doesn't seem to hold him back

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Walker scored low on his wonderlic to.....doesn't seem to hold him back

Coach: "Ahmad don't use your hands after 5 yards"
Ahmad: OK coach
Ref: Illegal contact, #28, five yards, automatic first down

something isnt getting thru to somebody, I gave Carroll every chance even when he was struggling through last year...I was more than ready to get this waste of a pick the hell out

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins worries me

As promising as his physical ability shows to be, he got completely played on that 15 yd pass to LJ Smith over the middle, which it looked like he was in perfect position to intercept. Someone who was projected as a cornerback, showed the ball skills of a defensive lineman playing at safety

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of wonderlic scores, the guy has consistently failed to display football smarts...as was the case when he was jawjacking the ref instead of tagging a downed man who proceeded to pick up extra yards. He is also unable to read and react to the ball, and as was on full display Monday, he cannot even read the WR to break on the ball.

So, in conclusion, a CB who does not read and react to the ball in flight, and who is also unable to read the WR (playing off right shoulder when ball was over WRs left) to react to the ball. Yep, he's a keeper!!

OP
OP
D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So why do it NOW??? Why not try to trade him......ANYBODY???????? He wasn't the worst player on our roster. If he was then MM should be fired immediately for playing him above others.

Now go ahead everybody...just keep saying he sucks!!!! I think we've established that.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He obviously beat out the 2 guys on the practice squad. BTW we will be seeing them now....and the Wonderlic....Yale does well every year in college football. Right.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may not be a fan of all of the moves that TT has made, but I'd have a hard time believing that TT didn't at least try to trade this kid. After his play Monday night, anyone that was interested probably knew that they had just as good a shot getting him on waivers so why give up the draft pick?

That being said, if TT released the guy without trying to trade him, he should be fired on the spot.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my humble opinion on Carroll's release. 1) Carroll isn't good enough to play in roll they need him to play. 2) Carroll appears to not be coachable. 3) therefore the cut was a good choice. 3) I don't know whether Thompson is really doing a good job or not, I think that is still yet to be determined. 4) Thompson and McCarthy made the right choice. Whether they have someone who can play the spot better I don't know. If they do I wonder why they weren't playing that person to start with.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
So why do it NOW??? Why not try to trade him......ANYBODY???????? He wasn't the worst player on our roster. If he was then MM should be fired immediately for playing him above others.

Now go ahead everybody...just keep saying he sucks!!!! I think we've established that.

I believe it was just the straw that broke the camels back type of thing. They invested a lot of time in this guy and being as unreliable as he is there comes a point when you need to bring someone else up the depth chart.

That next guy needs the practice spot Carroll was occupying. Once you've decided enough is enough and you give up on a guy it's time to part ways. Put the next guy in his place and get him ready and give Carroll a chance to do something elsewhere.

Once that decision is made there is very little value to either side by keeping him on the roster.

I thought Carroll would be an asset in certain situations this year. He looked much better to me in the second half of last year. He's proven to be just too unreliable and he should be way more consistant than that by now.

I have a feeling he won't be missed in the clubhouse as well. I wouldn't doubt it wasn't just the coaches that grew tired of how he handled himself.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was still curious as to why we didn't try and trade him for at least a 7th round pick.

Another guy from another forum said the Packers might have been trying to trade him all along. Last night was supposed to be his "showcase" to show the other GMs what he could do and what he's worth. And Carroll just proved how much he was worth.... squat.

I thought it was an interesting theory.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you could bet the farm that TT has been trying to unload him. TT has not made any kneejerk decisions (without taking time to evaluate) in the past and I doubt this was as a result of just the night before.

I would have liked to see him try safety. He has speed to cover ground, and likes to hit. However, I know that he was not liked AT ALL in the clubhouse. Maybe they felt he could not learn enough to be safety.

Regardless, he is gone. Good luck to him and I hope this humbles him a bit and that he succeeds elsewhere (not in the north division though). He has a ton of talent.

Members online

Latest posts