Ahmad Carroll - For Tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Trom I know he is paid the millions. But lets face it, was it Carroll that set the bar for how much sports players make? No.

And as I said before, Carroll's first passion was track. His athletic ability is what led him onto the football field. Did he choose the NFL because of the amount of money he could make? Probably. But the fact is that if you were in the same position as Carroll, you would probably choose to go the route that he went, for the simple fact that there is no better way to make money. And not to take a shot at you, but almost anyone would go that route. I would probably take that route before you could finish your sentence explaining to me what problems I would potentially face.

make some more excuses for that "bust"er why dont you.

Reaction score
Alright you know what if you are deluding yourself into thinking I am making excuses for Carroll, then so be it. But I will once again say IT IS UNFAIR TO JUDGE CARROLL BASED ON THE PROBLEMS HE HAD AS A ROOKIE!

I ask you, did he not improve last year? The answer is YES by the way. So then why do you hate Carroll so much? Because the fact is that honestly I would agree with you IF and only IF Carroll had degressed from his rookie season.

And by your standards, me asking for more time is making up excuses? Well perhaps you have forgotten J-Walk, who was another first round pick.
His first two seasons were not even in par with what you expect a first rounder to produce. But he was given time, and the staff was patient with him. How did that work out? He busted out with a HUGE 3rd year season. But of course, if we were to use your standards Trom, he should have been let go after his rookie season since he was garbage back then. There is a thing called "improvement" in pro sports, and Carroll showed that last season, at least justifing my position on Carroll (That he needs more time before he can be fairly judged).

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Carrol also fouls on half the plays a ball is thrown near him.

Illegal Hands to the Face, Burned, Holding, Burned, Burned, Burned, Burned, Pass Interference, Holding, Holding, Holding, Illegal Hands to the Face, Breaks Pass Up, Burned, Interception, Burned, Burned, Burned, Breaks up Pass, Holding, Illegal Hands to the Face, Pass Interference.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tromadz- I can assure you that a player like Ahmad Carroll who came out of college football early, he is now is about 22 years old but going into his third year of NFL football, can mature as a person and become a very good football player in NFL. I have seen it many times in my many long years of watching Packer football here in Green Bay.

Would you have given up on Football player, who was drafted in 1956 in the very last round of the draft? He sat on the bench as back up QB to a very forgetable Lamarr McCan until the 1960 season before he became a starter for the Green Bay Packers. If you would have give on on this QB, You would have given up a Hall of Famer, MVP player of Super Bowl 1 and 2. QB Bart Starr.!!!

Or another player who reported to the Training camp of NL team and was cut from the team. He Played semi pro football on football fields of Pittsburgh. Baltimore Colts invited him into their Training camp the next season. Johnny Unitius, one of the best Quarterbacks in NFL History.

Maybe another story about a more modern day player. Drafted by the Atlanta Falcons, his Coach at the time, Jerry Grandville said The kid from Mississippi would never make it in NFL as QB. The QB was traded to Green Bay and was known as a "wild gunslingger." He gave his Head coach in Green Bay many headaches and gray hair, but General manager who trade for the QB and the head coach didn't give up on this
QB. Of coarse the Quarterbacks name is Brett Favre.

The Packers won 151 games lost 93 between 1992 and 2005 plus won a Super bowl, the Packers first SB win since 1967, with Brett as QB of the Packers.

I had to swallow my pride and admit then General Manager Ron Wolf and Packer head coach Mike Holmgren were right about Brett Favre. I, as others thought also, that Mark Burnell had the most potential for Back up QB to the then starting QB, "The Majik man". Don Majikowski.

I hope Tromadz is able to do something similar as he matures in his Packer fandom. And better understand that many young player do not always become a good or great players in their first few years in NFL. A few good rookies have come through Green Bay and had great first or second years like Don Hutson , James Lofton, Sterling Sharpe etc, but far more have taken a few years to become good or even great players in the NFL. Hopefully this will happen in Carrolls case too.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Upon further review of this statement on my previous post. I said " had to swallow my pride and admit then General Manager Ron Wolf and Packer head coach Mike Holmgren were right about Brett Favre. I, as others thought also, that Mark Burnell had the most potential for Back up QB to the then starting QB, "The Majik man". Don Majikowski."

This could not have happened, Mark Burnell was not with the Packers until 1993, a year later. Therefore could not been backup to the the Majik Man. I thought for a period of time , when Burnell was here backing up Brett. Burnell should have been considered for the starting position for the Packers. not the backing up the Favre. Although Burnell was a good quarterback but not in same class as Brett Farve. History proved out Ron Wolf and Holmgren's decision to trade Mark Burnell to Jacksonville. and to keep Favre as the Packer's starting QB was the correct decision.

Sorry for the inaccurate statement.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great post GW,

I'll take it one step farther in Packer history, Darren Sharper could not tackle, could not learn assignments and was completely overwhelmed his first two years as a Packer.
There is a clip from one of The Packs play-off games where Leroy Butler is talking to the coaches on the sidelines, telling them to get Sharper off the field because "he was completely lost out there".
Although Sharper has crossed over to "The Dark Side"(Thanks TT), he turned into a pretty good defensive player for The Packers, because they did not give up on him.

Some people will never get it, that it takes time fcr most players coming into the NFL to mature and become the best player they can.

Carrol was thrown to the wolves his rookie year, he was not ready to start, the league rules had just changed and he got burnt. He showed much improvement last year, first because he did have one year under his belt and second because he was playing for a DC who had a solid game plan going into the season.

The whole defense kept getting better as the year went on. This will be Carroll's 3rd year with a 3rd different DC(thanks again TT), hopefully he continues to improve along with the rest of the young guys who if given a chance should be coming into their own.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That's weird PWT...

I heard the same story, but about a guy named Jerry Glanville and Mark Brunell....

(must be some kind of weird parallel universe, bizarro world type thing...!)

Good post though!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:

Illegal Hands to the Face, Burned, Holding, Burned, Burned, Burned, Burned, Pass Interference, Holding, Holding, Holding, Illegal Hands to the Face, Breaks Pass Up, Burned, Interception, Burned, Burned, Burned, Breaks up Pass, Holding, Illegal Hands to the Face, Pass Interference.

That is nothing but an emotionally laden ill informed rant. I included the following in my post -- "last season he drew four pass interference calls last year and had three holding penalties." Those are REAL numbers as were the statistical comparison.

If you want to say I intuitively think he sucks -- fine that is your right -- but don't you agree that it is pretty weak to just make up stuff like "Yeah Carrol also fouls on half the plays a ball is thrown near him."

If you've got anything near real data to back up such absurd claims please produce them, if not calm down and take a breath before jumping in if you want to be taken seriously.

Carroll still has growing and learning to adjust to a very difficult position to play -- I certainly said as much in my post and so did Christl in his blog.

When your team plays press coverage, as the Packers do, you would expect his burnt numbers to go up -- yet they don't. The same can be said for the Packers lack of a credible pass rush which lets QBs sit in the pocket and take their time chosing a target. Add to that it was a new defense with a Rookie Safety, yet his numbers were comparitively very good.

Rants of his being a bust are not backed up by facts, but then again rants rarely are.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You don't understand Bruce...

Since Lord TT didn't draft...then TT-romadz will think he is garbage...

(He's got all his eggs in Lord TT's basket...)

(Hey..even I admit that once in awhile the blind squirrel found a nut...like in Grady Jackson..for instance...)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Z2C said: "Hopefully the kid pans out.

thats all i have to say"

I'm sorry......but when i read that, i said to myself "Hey! Forrest Gump is on here!" LOLOLOL!!!
I don't mean ANYTHING bad about you Zero, it's just the way you worded it! It made me think of that right away! LOLOL!! :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Alright you know what if you are deluding yourself into thinking I am making excuses for Carroll, then so be it. But I will once again say IT IS UNFAIR TO JUDGE CARROLL BASED ON THE PROBLEMS HE HAD AS A ROOKIE!

he wasnt a rookie last year. he was in year 2 of his BUSTitude.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackwillBEback said:

no packwillbeback, he gets a pass. he is only 22 years old. he is only a #1 round pick. He is only paid millions of dollars to do a job he hasnt done.

Right guys....right.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT while I agree with some of what you say the fact that making millions of dollars does not make you better instantly or not. There are many many many players in the NFL that get paid alot of money. Hell even in baseball one of the only jobs you have to be good 30% of the time to get paid millions.

Since the Pack has invested that much no sense giving up on him now. His production could be more a product of poor coaching than lack of ability

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, Al Harris blows, doesnt he.

i dont know why you guys stick up for him...

i guess this is how favre66 and depack feel about me supporting tt.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think this is the last year in carrolls contract as well.

1. He will do **** and it was 3 years of hell for nothing.
2. He will finally come on and will be a pain in the *** to re-sign if we went that route.

I just think its time to part ways with him. Some of you feel why take his bad suff but not wait around for his good stuff...sometimes you have to cut your losses(um,sherman...um, hunt) Sometimes it cost you finanacially, but it is the best thing for the team.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack66 says

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"That's weird PWT...

I heard the same story, but about a guy named Jerry Glanville and Mark Brunell....

(must be some kind of weird parallel universe, bizarro world type thing...!)"

I don't know why Jerry Glandville would say that about Mark Burnell. Mark was drafted by the Packers in the '93 and was late round pick by Ron Wolf and coached by Mike Holmgren. Jerry Ganville was Rookie Brett Favre's Head coach at Atlanta was not impressed with his rookie from Miss. So. U. Jerry was glad to trade him to GB for a first round draft choice. And has been known as the coach that traded Brett to GB. It turned out not to be Jerry Glanville's greatest decision.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
You don't understand Bruce...

Since Lord TT didn't draft...then TT-romadz will think he is garbage...

(He's got all his eggs in Lord TT's basket...)

(Hey..even I admit that once in awhile the blind squirrel found a nut...like in Grady Jackson..for instance...)

you need to not speak for me, fag66. that is something i just wont tolerate.

Reaction score
Honestly name calling is childish and gets us no where.

You said he is paid millions, yet as I said he isn't not accountable for setting the standard of player's salaries. You say he wasn't in his rookie year last year, well then he sure as hell had a better year last year when compared to his rookie season. But sure what the heck does improvement matter? You refer to Al, well AL HARRIS SAID HE ONCE USED TO BE LIKE CARROLL! Should've never gotten him then if that was the case right Trom?

I'm starting to believe more and more your dislike for Carroll stems from the fact that MS selected him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll has nothing to do with Sherman. Dont reach. Im not pack66.

I dislike carroll because he is trash. He is better than in his rookie year...only because it was damn near impossible to match how badly he played. He got in fights with teammates...he celebrates after (rare) tackles...

stop defending him..

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know...Carrol is alright, but I am begining to think he was a waste of a first round draft pick. But, then again he hasen't been a total bust. I give him this year, but he has to show better and more improvement.

Reaction score
tromadz said:
He got in fights with teammates...he celebrates after (rare) tackles...

Alright from that stand point I will agree with you, Carroll has been a let down. He is not the man of highest character or humbleness for that matter. But still I am willing to give him time to mature. Come on Trom, at age 22/23, Carroll still hasn't figured it out in the head. You were once that age, and I am sure made stupid mistakes. Everyone will/does do that. But he needs to be given a chance to show he can mature. I hope he does, but I very well could be dead wrong on the matter.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
ok TT's-Hemroidadz...

Just trying to translate...so that you make sense...

But keep spewing nonsense..

it's funnier...

Members online

Latest posts