Ahmad Carrol article!

subin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here you are!

Basically to sum up the article - Carroll is playing well in practice, but he's still a showboat/*.

To be honest with you, if Ahmad was to turn into a legit corner that could replace Harris or Woodson in a year or two, his character wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, however that remains to be seen.

* EDITED BY AADP - NO PROFANITY.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard these types of stories before with him. I'll believe it when I see it.

(and I really DO want to see him do well, cuz that means the packers will do well)

edit - As I read the first paragraph, it tells me he beat up on a rookie who won't make the team. Kinda like the other week when he made a 'great play' against Tom Arth(or whatever his name is, you know..the QB who won't make the team).

edit 2 - He also did it to ROOKIE cory rodgers.

edit 3- As I read...he got owned...by a VETERAN WR (boreigieregter).

Untill I hear about him covering Driver constantly while Favre is throwing the ball, and while there are refs there (when do they bring in the high school refs to simulate the penalties?)....I won't be buying this hype. I won't let him break my heart!

So he beat up on 2 rookies (1 wont make the team), and got owned by a veteran WR. And he continues to be a ******* after making plays he's SUPPOSED to make.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he matures, and becomes a GREAT CB. But until he shows that(on and off the field), I will become nervous when I see the oppositions offense has a 3 WR set and Carroll is out there.

Carroll's play when he forced a fumble last year, and taunted and danced...INSTEAD OF PICKING UP THE BALL...is what he's about.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like Carroll so much better if he would just shut his yapper and play ball. Especially when he taunts after a receiver catches a ball for a 6 yard gain and he tackles him. ATTENTION AHMAD: THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO!!!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm more concerned with Favre throwing all those INT's than Carroll doing his "thang". Where's our other veteran WR...Taco Wallace?!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let him talk. Who cares? Like I said before there aren't many corners in the NFL that are humble. Cockiness seems to be a prerequisite. As long as he makes plays, he can yap all he wants.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Let him talk. Who cares? Like I said before there aren't many corners in the NFL that are humble. Cockiness seems to be a prerequisite. As long as he makes plays, he can yap all he wants.

IMHO DePack is right.
I think the coaches are letting it ride to see what their receivers are made of. Lord knows they will see and hear alot more trash talking when the bullets start flying. Better to find out now how your players will react to it.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:

I agree Depack,

It's when the corners LOSE confidence you need to worry. There's always a lot of yappin' going on between the corners and receivers. If a wideout beats a CB he rubs his face in and visa versa. It's just the way it is.

Not that I care for it. I can't stand watching a player jumping around like he's been standing on a red ant hill after just an average play. Another reason why I hate Sapp. He would make like two tackles a game but you knew when they happened. He would run down the middle of the field about 30 yards with his arms spread out. God I dislike guys like that.

Make a really great play. Fine. But just making an average play and act like they won the game because they made a lousy tackle? Come on.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
DePack said:

IMHO DePack is right.
I think the coaches are letting it ride to see what their receivers are made of. Lord knows they will see and hear alot more trash talking when the bullets start flying. Better to find out now how your players will react to it.

yeah, let him talk...while there is a live ball by his feet...and nick barnett has to pick it up....and let him talk...while nick barnett returns the fumble...let him talk and taunt the opposing bench while barnett is being tackled.

Let him talk.

right.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yooperfan said:
DePack said:

IMHO DePack is right.

yeah, let him talk...while there is a live ball by his feet...and nick barnett has to pick it up....and let him talk...while nick barnett returns the fumble...let him talk and taunt the opposing bench while barnett is being tackled.

Let him talk.

right.

Get over yourself. Carroll is the only corner that talks now :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
get over myself? ...?

Is that code for "damn, he sure did bring up Carroll being a ******* who has been underperforming since Day 1, and continues to be a ******* entering his breakout year."

But yeah, I'm full of myself....oh wait, no im not, im bringing up the facts about Ahmad Carroll.

Let him talk. lol. Right.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yooperfan said:
DePack said:

IMHO DePack is right.

Let him talk.

right.

Trom you are like an elephant, you never forget anything, especially if it gives you a little ammo when slamming players you don't like, thank goodness everything you say can be ignored since you know absolutely nothing about football.
The best corners ever to play football were the ones who were cocky and who talked the talk and walked the walk, Carroll is well on his way to being like them, I hope he never loses his cockiness if he does then he loses his edge.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I must not know anything about football since I disagree with you. That is a mature stance.

Now Carroll is on his way to be one of the best CBs to ever play football?

How about he cracks the starting lineup first? LOL! WOW!

I'm done with this thread. Carroll is picking off Tom Arth and abusing Cory Rodgers, and is dancing over players, so he must be on his way to being one of the better CBs in the league. Yet "I" am the one who doesn't know anything about football? LOL. Ok.

Players taunt\celebrate all the time. But who does that while the play is going on, and there is a live ball(that he DID cause, btw, good for him) on the ground. And while his teammate runs it back, he stares down the bench. Yeah, I won't ever forget that.

In 4 years from now I'd like it to be a "remember when Carroll was a punk, and sucked at the game? Man, he really changed."

But he's shown no reason since he put on the uniform to believe that, but you can, since you know so much about football than I do. You interpret those holds and taunts as good things, and he will be one of the better CBs , since you said "He is well on his way to being like them." Wow.

"I'm surrounded by ******** - Spaceballs

Done with this thread.

Bye.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
tromadz said:
yooperfan said:
DePack said:

IMHO DePack is right.

Let him talk.

right.

Trom you are like an elephant, you never forget anything, especially if it gives you a little ammo when slamming players you don't like, thank goodness everything you say can be ignored since you know absolutely nothing about football.
The best corners ever to play football were the ones who were cocky and who talked the talk and walked the walk, Carroll is well on his way to being like them, I hope he never loses his cockiness if he does then he loses his edge.
If anybody is to blame for Carroll's play so far in the NFL, it's the Packers themselves. The kid was thrown to the wolves too early under Slowit who left him on an island all year.

Carroll had a decent year last year, and I expect more improvement this year.

Trom I will agree that he acts immature, but I agree with other posters that it is a necessary emotion for a CB to be arrogant. The cockier the better. The example you use with the Atlanta game is a good one and on that play, I agree with you. But I think that was a venting Carroll deserved for all the crap he has taken from Packer fans just like you!

Trom, what kind of stats do you require of Carroll for you to accept him in the Green and Gold and heaven forbid recant some of hatred?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
tromadz said:
yooperfan said:
DePack said:

IMHO DePack is right.

Let him talk.

right.

Carroll is far from being a Deion Sanders type of player but other than him i can't think of a real cocky CB. Darrell Green, Not really, Ty Law, not really.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you done with this thread like you were done with this whole site a few weeks ago? If so I expect to hear from you real soon.

Let me try one more time....it takes more then 2 years to become a good corner, you have so much hatred for Carroll you won't even give him a chance, it doesn't matter how he performs you will always dredge up something negative about him because he isn't one of your favorites.
Hopefully The Packers don't take your stance, if they do Carroll will be gone just as he is beginning to show some of the real talent he has.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Yeah I must not know anything about football since I disagree with you. That is a mature stance.

Now Carroll is on his way to be one of the best CBs to ever play football?

How about he cracks the starting lineup first? LOL! WOW!

I'm done with this thread. Carroll is picking off Tom Arth and abusing Cory Rodgers, and is dancing over players, so he must be on his way to being one of the better CBs in the league. Yet "I" am the one who doesn't know anything about football? LOL. Ok.

Players taunt\celebrate all the time. But who does that while the play is going on, and there is a live ball(that he DID cause, btw, good for him) on the ground. And while his teammate runs it back, he stares down the bench. Yeah, I won't ever forget that.

In 4 years from now I'd like it to be a "remember when Carroll was a punk, and sucked at the game? Man, he really changed."

But he's shown no reason since he put on the uniform to believe that, but you can, since you know so much about football than I do. You interpret those holds and taunts as good things, and he will be one of the better CBs , since you said "He is well on his way to being like them." Wow.

"I'm surrounded by ******** - Spaceballs

Done with this thread.

Bye.

Lol, Let's start a thread off by calling someone immature and then end it with "I'm surrounded by ********"

Furthermore, he picked off Brett Favre not Tom Arth. It's just another thing you twist to make your argument sound better. Carroll is fine, he is improving and actually played much better last year.

Also I feel I must acknowledge BuckeyePacker for pointing out how "done" you actually are wjen you put your foot down!

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come back Tromadz.

I'm not going to get into personal BS with you, I just want to understand your perceived hatred for this kid. He is a very young player who leaves it on the field. GB's pass rush has been anything but stellar the last two years, yet you blame Carroll for much of the D's problems.

I don't see a player that sucks, I see a player that is trying to get better and is getting beat by receivers who have an advantage thanks to the Peyton rule. If Carroll was playing for the Ravens, Steelers, or Patriots, I guarantee you he wouldn't be getting all those flags.

What do you say we give him one more year?

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roll: Carroll cold-cocked by 1st yr. WR or TE. Leaving the field he could be heard to mutter; "boy I really stopped that sucker; he's gonna be cut now!!!"
LOL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
tromadz said:
Untill I hear about him covering Driver constantly while Favre is throwing the ball.

we don't need him to cover Driver, or any top WR's for a few years, we need him to cover mostly 3rd and sometimes 2nd or 4th WR's.

I agree and what frustrates me is that he won't be covering #1's and #2's. Everyone continues to defend him as he's a young man with great upside. I watched him in college. I watched him in the pros. I know people who evaluated him and he was rated as a 2nd round pick at best and a lot of people thought he was best fit as a nickel back in the NFL and that's what he is now.

I think he'll be a solid nickel back but I don't ever expect him to be a full time starter again in the NFL.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahmad Carroll isn't interested in sulking.

After the Packers signed free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson, Carroll may have been expected to do just that by those who criticized his immaturity during his first two seasons in the NFL. Carroll, who started 27 games at corner in 2004 and 2005, in essence lost his job opposite Al Harris when Woodson was brought in.

But his approach to the offseason workout program, May minicamps, and June organized team activities (OTAs) indicates he's simply doing whatever it takes to get on the field and make an impact on the Packers' defense this fall.

"He's attacked the offseason program, attacked the weight training and conditioning," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "(Secondary coaches) Kurt Schottenheimer and Lionel Washington both feel like he's making progress and it's carrying over to the OTAs.

"He's been a productive, active performer on defense, and he has tremendous energy and competitiveness. I'm just very pleased with the progress that he's made in the approach to our whole offseason program."

Carroll is certainly aware of the aspects of his game that need work. Flagged repeatedly for putting his hands on receivers beyond the line of scrimmage, Carroll has seen how often he was in good position and the hand contact wasn't necessary.

"One thing I have to do is stay consistent, and I didn't do a good job of that last year," he said.

"The emphasis is just to keep your hands off the receiver. That's why the coaches harp on technique. That's all we work on, technique and footwork. That's all you have to work on when you're on the corner, on that island."

Carroll feels Woodson gives him another veteran player to learn from, along with Harris, though he's taking advantage of their absence from the June OTAs to get all the reps he can with the first-team defense. He's also buying into the adage that a team with a bump-and-run scheme never has enough quality cornerbacks in a 16-game season, so he seems unconcerned about the question of playing time.

Carroll's enthusiasm in practice this month, with high-fiving and hollering after big defensive plays, is still too much showboating for some (he's explained he's just trying to keep practice fun and keep teammates from feeling fatigued). But he made one of his best plays this past Tuesday, intercepting a Brett Favre pass in the red zone intended for rookie Chris Francies.

"That was as good a play as you'll see," McCarthy said. "In a man-to-man situation, bump-and-run, his back was turned and he turned right at the last second and made an excellent play on the ball.

"Those are the kinds of things you're seeing from him more and more often and that's the kind of play we need from the cornerback position. We put a lot on those guys in bump-and-run situations."

Carroll's marked improvement may simply be a product of age and experience as well as hard work. A junior out of Arkansas when he was taken in the first round of the 2004 draft, Carroll turned just 21 during his first NFL training camp.

In his 13 years as an NFL assistant coach, McCarthy said he saw plenty of early-entry players have their difficulties but start to come into their own after a few years.

"My experience with juniors coming out is they struggle, they really do," McCarthy said. "The expectations are obviously high because if they are coming out they're going to be a high pick, and the maturity level is not where it would be if they come out a year later.

"There's a number of factors that work against them as far as the normal hurdles you need to overcome to be successful in the NFL. They just have more on their plate from that."

As has been documented, Carroll piled various penalty flags and unpopular antics onto that plate. But as far as McCarthy is concerned, it was swept clean when he arrived.

"I know there's been a lot of criticism in the past, and I've told Ahmad to just take it one day at a time and keep building and keep stacking successes," McCarthy said. "We've given him a fresh start and he's taken full advantage of his opportunity."

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerLegend said:
Ahmad Carroll isn't interested in sulking.

After the Packers signed free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson, Carroll may have been expected to do just that by those who criticized his immaturity during his first two seasons in the NFL. Carroll, who started 27 games at corner in 2004 and 2005, in essence lost his job opposite Al Harris when Woodson was brought in.

But his approach to the offseason workout program, May minicamps, and June organized team activities (OTAs) indicates he's simply doing whatever it takes to get on the field and make an impact on the Packers' defense this fall.

"He's attacked the offseason program, attacked the weight training and conditioning," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "(Secondary coaches) Kurt Schottenheimer and Lionel Washington both feel like he's making progress and it's carrying over to the OTAs.

"He's been a productive, active performer on defense, and he has tremendous energy and competitiveness. I'm just very pleased with the progress that he's made in the approach to our whole offseason program."

Carroll is certainly aware of the aspects of his game that need work. Flagged repeatedly for putting his hands on receivers beyond the line of scrimmage, Carroll has seen how often he was in good position and the hand contact wasn't necessary.

"One thing I have to do is stay consistent, and I didn't do a good job of that last year," he said.

"The emphasis is just to keep your hands off the receiver. That's why the coaches harp on technique. That's all we work on, technique and footwork. That's all you have to work on when you're on the corner, on that island."

Carroll feels Woodson gives him another veteran player to learn from, along with Harris, though he's taking advantage of their absence from the June OTAs to get all the reps he can with the first-team defense. He's also buying into the adage that a team with a bump-and-run scheme never has enough quality cornerbacks in a 16-game season, so he seems unconcerned about the question of playing time.

Carroll's enthusiasm in practice this month, with high-fiving and hollering after big defensive plays, is still too much showboating for some (he's explained he's just trying to keep practice fun and keep teammates from feeling fatigued). But he made one of his best plays this past Tuesday, intercepting a Brett Favre pass in the red zone intended for rookie Chris Francies.

"That was as good a play as you'll see," McCarthy said. "In a man-to-man situation, bump-and-run, his back was turned and he turned right at the last second and made an excellent play on the ball.

"Those are the kinds of things you're seeing from him more and more often and that's the kind of play we need from the cornerback position. We put a lot on those guys in bump-and-run situations."

Carroll's marked improvement may simply be a product of age and experience as well as hard work. A junior out of Arkansas when he was taken in the first round of the 2004 draft, Carroll turned just 21 during his first NFL training camp.

In his 13 years as an NFL assistant coach, McCarthy said he saw plenty of early-entry players have their difficulties but start to come into their own after a few years.

"My experience with juniors coming out is they struggle, they really do," McCarthy said. "The expectations are obviously high because if they are coming out they're going to be a high pick, and the maturity level is not where it would be if they come out a year later.

"There's a number of factors that work against them as far as the normal hurdles you need to overcome to be successful in the NFL. They just have more on their plate from that."

As has been documented, Carroll piled various penalty flags and unpopular antics onto that plate. But as far as McCarthy is concerned, it was swept clean when he arrived.

"I know there's been a lot of criticism in the past, and I've told Ahmad to just take it one day at a time and keep building and keep stacking successes," McCarthy said. "We've given him a fresh start and he's taken full advantage of his opportunity."

McCarthy must be lying!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

OH, NO!!!! What will the Carroll bashers cry now???

Oh yeah, they will ignore every shred of growth and development this young man displays and jump on every miscue and potential controversy -- just like they always have.

Nice counter PackerLegend, but it is probably wasted on people who do not want to see him succeed.

BTW Carroll came to the NFL at 20 and has been a starter every since. Woodson should beat him out, but since Carroll has played more and outperformed him post 2001 you all might want to remember that Woodson (who hasn't bothered to show for a single workout or practice and of recent has been more fragile than Terry Glenn) is nothing more than a "fingers-crossed" hope at this point.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
McCarthy must be lying!!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

OH, NO!!!! What will the Carroll bashers cry now???

Oh yeah, they will ignore every shred of growth and development this young man displays and jump on every miscue and potential controversy -- just like they always have.

Nice counter PackerLegend, but it is probably wasted on people who do not want to see him succeed.

BTW Carroll came to the NFL at 20 and has been a starter every since. Woodson should beat him out, but since Carroll has played more and outperformed him post 2001 you all might want to remember that Woodson (who hasn't bothered to show for a single workout or practice and of recent has been more fragile than Terry Glenn) is nothing more than a "fingers-crossed" hope at this point.

I think it's really encouraging to hear about Carroll and his progress; however, I also think Woodson is more than a "fingers-crossed" hope Bruce....wow

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Al Harris was targeted 63 times and "burned" 33 times for 430 yards in 2005.

Carroll was targeted 62 times and "burned" 30 times for 432 yards in 2005.

Harris had 3 interceptions, 10 passes defensed, and 46 solo tackles.

Carroll had 2 interceptions, 8 passes defensed, and 41 solo tackles.

Ripped from another site, but intriguing.

Packers were thrown against 430 while 252 of them were completed. Only one team was thrown against less than the Packers last year.

Members online

Latest posts