Posted at 14:14 on Feb. 24, 2006

Agent: Favre wants time to ponder future

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
PackersNews.com

INDIANAPOLIS – James “Busâ€

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he doesn't make a decision soon, i'm gonna have to get these pins & needles surgically removed from my hiney!!!! :lol: :wink:

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it would help us in the FA market thats starts soon if we know whether we have the cap room we would have if Brett retires or not, but seeing as the CBA might get pushed back that would give Brett some more time to ponder. If its gonna help Brett come back for another season, I say take your sweet a$s time Brett. :wink:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOLOL JUles!!! (Want me to come over with my pliers???) :wink:

I'm all for Brett taking his time........now, HURRY UP and tell us you are coming back!
Really, it's 2 months after the end of the season. I wonder if he has been working out, or what he has been doing? If he heasn't been keeping ready physically, i wonder if he would even be physically up to playing next season?

cheesyscot

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks I know at some time he'll leave the game, but the guy has earned the right to sit back and decide if he wants to play! I know everyone of us would agree on that. What I'd like to see Brett do is say I'll play and here is some money to bring in what ever we need to make this a great last run. I know easy for me to say since it's not my money.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
LOLOL JUles!!! (Want me to come over with my pliers???) :wink:

I'm all for Brett taking his time........now, HURRY UP and tell us you are coming back!
Really, it's 2 months after the end of the season. I wonder if he has been working out, or what he has been doing? If he heasn't been keeping ready physically, i wonder if he would even be physically up to playing next season?

I would bet that Favre has been keeping himself in shape to play next season...do you honestly think that if he is telling the truth about not knowing if he's going to play or not, he would sit back and do nothing in case he decides to return?????

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if he really even knows...but he should have time to decide.

On the ohter hand, it would be nice to know what his decision was, that could mean a lot of extra cap room, and I don't want the Packers to have that cap room (if Favre retires) and not use it, because they found out after the top FA's were off the market.

I hope Favre decides when FA time comes along, but I don't want him forced.

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he's one of the greatest qb's of all time, but I also think it's unfair for him to take this much time and put the rest of the team on hold until he decides. It would be damn near impossible for the new coaching staff to complete plans for the draft, free agency, or next year as a whole without knowing who the qb is going to be.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats why i wonder if there MAY be something done already, that just hasn't been leaked out.
If i was the media, i'd be watching Brett's house, to see if he's working out, or if a trainer is visiting. That might give a hint.
March 10th is Fan Fest in Green Bay.........no one has said Favre will be there, unlike last season. Here's what i think MIGHT happen........wouldn't that be a great PR move to have him show up, as a surprise, to announce his return next season? That would make the place explode!
Now, that being said, i see it as a bad sign if he's NOT there. Then it MIGHT be a "wait until AFTER Fan Fest" to announce retirement, so it doesn't ruin the atmosphere there.
Just guesses on my point.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats right! I forgot you were going to be there too!
It was NUTS last year when Larry McCarren asked Favre if he was coming back. The place erupted! I'm hoping that happens again! (Wouldn't that be sweet?)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well......i'm HOPING my guess is right Gopack!
If so, it really will make that weekend extra specail!

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think he would have to at least talk about how he is willing to restructure his contract if he were to return prior to FA opening up. He has previously stated a willingness to do so if he came back and that would mean at least some discussion about how that restructuring would look so that TT would know how much cash he has to spend.

If he retires they have like $7.6 mil additional cash to spend but they would have ? amount extra depending on how he restructures. It seems to me they would need to know these things going into FA for it to do any good.

Even if those discussions are hypothetical based on "IF I come back this is what I would be willing do" it would be helpful. But not knowing if they have him or not, or, if they have the money to spend or not would be very damaging to them and I don't think he would do that.

The way it stands at this time TT would have to go about buisness as if BF is going to be back, play, and, get paid what his contract calls for which seems to be the least likey vs. him retiring or, at least, restructuring.

I, for one, would be highly upset if FA comes and goes and we don't make all the moves we could have to better the team and then he says "I'm done". That would stink. That's why I think he has to indicate SOMETHING by the time FA opens.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOTS of good points Warhawk! Hopefully things are getting done behind closed doors that we will see soon!

Members online

Latest posts