After Much Deliberation

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I disagree.

This was the best moment in all of US sports in 2010. And it came from soccer.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bg8vQKN4m8]YouTube - USA v ALGERIA. 1-0, YES WE CAN!![/ame]

I will remember that for the rest of my life.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I agree about it being boring. I have basically tried to force feed myself some soccer, but after several games watched, I fall asleep to them. With a final score of 1 - 0 or 1 - 1, that is some boring crap. Sorry, it is what it is.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, simply a matter of taste.
But I think there must be a reason why soccer is the most popular sport worldwide and not American Football or Baseball for example, dont you think so ? :confused:
I love soccer and football but I dont have any idea why watching commercials for three hours interrupted with a little football or baseball should be more exciting than 90 minutes of soccer with only 15 minutes halftime break. :eek:;)
I guess thats why American Football or Baseball will never become important outside the US.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
^ popular in poor countries due to the cheapness of the sport. (i think).....one ball, play damn near anywhere, does not really require a stadium, does not require expensive gear.....plus, american football is not broadcast in the same spectrum that soccer is. But, the most popular spectator sport in the USA is NASCAR, yet you wont catch me watching rednecks go round and round for hours on end. People are different in their likes. I just personnally find soccer to be the most boring big time sport there is.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
^ popular in poor countries due to the cheapness of the sport. (i think).....one ball, play damn near anywhere, does not really require a stadium, does not require expensive gear.....plus, american football is not broadcast in the same spectrum that soccer is. But, the most popular spectator sport in the USA is NASCAR, yet you wont catch me watching rednecks go round and round for hours on end. People are different in their likes. I just personnally find soccer to be the most boring big time sport there is.

Germany, England, Switzerland and so forth are far from poor countries. In the U.S. soccer is the most played sport by people under 18. MLS attendance is now on average comparable to the NBA, NHL, and one third of the MLB.

But this thread pushes the envelope on the surreal. :confused: Here we have a football forum, with a place for discussion of other sports. And football fans come in the other sports area to troll a fight over other sports. ;)

Some people do find soccer boring. But it is gaining more attention in the US all the time, especially with the Ambassadorship of Beckham and the great success of the Women's national team.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Germany, England, Switzerland and so forth are far from poor countries. In the U.S. soccer is the most played sport by people under 18. MLS attendance is now on average comparable to the NBA, NHL, and one third of the MLB.

But this thread pushes the envelope on the surreal. :confused: Here we have a football forum, with a place for discussion of other sports. And football fans come in the other sports area to troll a fight over other sports. ;)

Some people do find soccer boring. But it is gaining more attention in the US all the time, especially with the Ambassadorship of Beckham and the great success of the Women's national team.

I didn't say ALL the places it's popular are poor, but consider where it is popular as well when you are speaking.
Mexico
Central American countries
South American countries
Africa
Middle east

Those are typically poorer areas and that is the most popular sport.

And how am i trolling a fight? That was a truely lame statement. My opinion of the sport being boring, is just that, an opinion. Don't like it, to bad my friend. This world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I didn't say ALL the places it's popular are poor, but consider where it is popular as well when you are speaking.
Mexico
Central American countries
South American countries
Africa
Middle east

Those are typically poorer areas and that is the most popular sport.

And how am i trolling a fight? That was a truely lame statement. My opinion of the sport being boring, is just that, an opinion. Don't like it, to bad my friend. This world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything.

You don't think the op was trying to stir up something?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
who cares??? Is this an overall soccer forum? No, it's not.....not like he invaded an MLS forum and talked crap......stop with the thin skin, toughen up.

Friendly banter folks....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
different taste in sports. europeans hate the stop and start of the NFL. Mericans hate the low scoring of soccer. What bothers one group doesnt bother the other. Just diff taste.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
You want me to like siccer, do this:

Give each player a billy club, put 3 balls on the field at the same time, make the goal 5 feet wider, and make scoring "zones" that are worth more points when a goal is scored from farther distances. I would watch the hell out of it then....lol

When I was in Marines, sometimes for daily exercise (PT) we would play what we called "combat soccer". We played on a regular field with a regulation ball, but we wore our kevlar vests, kevlar helmets, camo pants and boots. We allowed to give elbows and shoulder blocks, tripping was ok as well......made it an actual fun sport.

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Association Football, Rugby Football, and Football are all related, none is exclusive. Without one their wouldn't have been the other. You either like something or you don't there is no point in trying to force yourself to like anything it aint gonna work that way. Saying that one is better than the other is fine, but its only an opinion no big deal. I like both codes of the game for what they are.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
different taste in sports. europeans hate the stop and start of the NFL. Mericans hate the low scoring of soccer. What bothers one group doesnt bother the other. Just diff taste.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head Ivo.
Its a cultural thing as well, but no need to argue about guys, cool down :eek:
And some of us even like both, soccer and football ! ;)

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
I apologize for being " testy" earlier in the thread. Been fighting this stinkin flu, but that's no excuse. I read this a number of years ago and thought it made a very insightful cultural analysis of the two sports; www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/documents/footballsoccer.pdf

A very detailed and well thought out article, someone once said Football (soccer) is war without the shooting. Evolution of thought and tactics is the key be it in Soccer, Football, or Warfare. Failure to do so results in stagnation and malaise. If it ain't broke don't fix it works for a while but not forever, i guess that's why the Romans are no longer a Superpower.;)

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England
Football (Soccer) is the new chess. People talk about games ending up 0-0, 1-0 etc, theyre true.

The games became so tactical now, it makes it so difficult for 'new' football fans to grasp. Look back to the 50's & 60's, there were alot of 6-3, 5-1 games etc.

Formations and the footballing culture has changed massively, money is ripping the heart out of football. The EPL has always been known as the best football league in the world, but now is being replaced by the German Bundesliga.

OP
OP
greenandgold

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Real men play American football!

Actually, I kind of like watching Rugby. Don't really understand the rules, but it is almost like football without helmets or pads. I even can watch Australian rules football. But to sit and look at a soccer game. They spend a couple of minutes working the ball upfield, only to kick the ball all the way back to the goalie, who kicks it halfway back down the field.

What's the point?

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score

Actually, I kind of like watching Rugby. Don't really understand the rules, but it is almost like football without helmets or pads. I even can watch Australian rules football. But to sit and look at a soccer game. They spend a couple of minutes working the ball upfield, only to kick the ball all the way back to the goalie, who kicks it halfway back down the field.

What's the point?

Yawn.

Wolf Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Southbank, Molineux, Wolverhampton, England

What's the point?

The counter argument of 'soccer' fans is that American Football takes 3-4hrs for a game that is only 60mins long. Different views and opinions, its what makes the world go round. Imagine if we were all the same, how dull would that be.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts