After all the talk the last few years

D

Deleted member 6794

Why do you think that is?

Probably because Hawkins currently is even worse than Goodson.

I get it, it's pretty clear that if you were GM the roster would be churned incessantly. We know that you're not a believer in draft and develop and that there are a multitude of well conditioned free agents that know the Packer playbook, hanging around on the "better than mediocre CB tree" waiting for the opportunity to play for veterans minimum and excel at both CB and ST play.

I wouldn't mind to exchange players at the bottom of the depth chart who are mostly inactive on gameday more often. As I've mentioned repeatedly the draft is the best way to build the core of a roster but free agency should be used to address positions of need. If Thompson had added a cornerback in the offseason that guy would have been able to learn the Packers playbook by now.

Unfortunately Goodson doesn't excel at cornerback and in my opinion has regressed as a special teamer as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably because Hawkins currently is even worse than Goodson.

I wouldn't mind to exchange players at the bottom of the depth chart who are mostly inactive on gameday more often. As I've mentioned repeatedly the draft is the best way to build the core of a roster but free agency should be used to address positions of need. If Thompson had added a cornerback in the offseason that guy would have been able to learn the Packers playbook by now.

Unfortunately Goodson doesn't excel at cornerback and in my opinion has regressed as a special teamer as well.
to answer your points......

My guess is also that Hawkins is not as good as Goodson right now or he'd be starting.

How did Goodson fare against the Bears?

CB was not perceived on Labor Day to be a position of need. Most people here thought it was the strongest and deepest unit on the team along with WR. Everyone was worried about ILB and the d-line along with Lane Taylor.

Never in my 53 years of following the Packers have I seen this team's (or any team's) 5th CB excel at the position at that point in his career. The world doesn't work that way. I just don't think he's pulling an Estes Hood here. I think his performance has been decently respectable for the difficult position he's been put in though I have no sympathy for him regarding his suspension.

D

Deleted member 6794

How did Goodson fare against the Bears?

I don't know how Goodson fared against the Bears but overall PFF has him ranked as the 109th best cornerback in the league.

CB was not perceived on Labor Day to be a position of need. Most people here thought it was the strongest and deepest unit on the team along with WR. Everyone was worried about ILB and the d-line along with Lane Taylor.

Never in my 53 years of following the Packers have I seen this team's (or any team's) 5th CB excel at the position at that point in his career. The world doesn't work that way. I just don't think he's pulling an Estes Hood here. I think his performance has been decently respectable for the difficult position he's been put in though I have no sympathy for him regarding his suspension.

I agree that cornerback wasn't perceived to be in need of an upgrade during the offseason but that doesn't mean there weren't any better options than Goodson available.

I don't expect the fifth or sixth CB on the depth chart to perform on a high level but demand at least decent play. Otherwise there's no reason for him to be on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't know how Goodson fared against the Bears but overall PFF has him ranked as the 109th best cornerback in the league.

I would question using the word "best" with that stat LOL :coffee:

While I am not a big fan right now of Goodson, I find it hard to initially fault TT and Co. for having to play with so much inexperience at the CB position when your #1 - #3 all go down, those 3 were viewed as pretty decent to start the season. I doubt many teams are faced with having to go to their #4 CB and beyond for such an extended period of time. But now that its a known deficiency, unless they have some really good positive information on the health of Shields, Randall and Rollins, I would hope they are at least thinking about bringing someone else in via a trade or street FA.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I am not a big fan right now of Goodson, I find it hard to initially fault TT and Co. for having to play with so much inexperience at the CB position when your #1 - #3 all go down, those 3 were viewed as pretty decent to start the season.

I agree that it was impossible to know that the Packers will be without their top three cornerbacks for an extended period. That doesn't change the fact that there were better cornerbacks than Goodson available as the fifth CB on the depth chart.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I agree that cornerback wasn't perceived to be in need of an upgrade during the offseason but that doesn't mean there weren't any better options than Goodson available.

I don't expect the fifth or sixth CB on the depth chart to perform on a high level but demand at least decent play. Otherwise there's no reason for him to be on the roster.
109th?

Is that from his 2 game performance scores?

If so, He must have missed some tackles then because he hasn't been getting gouged that much, even against the NFL's most prolific passing offense.

Just curious, what do they have Gunter ranked?

D

Deleted member 6794

109th?

Is that from his 2 game performance scores?

If so, He must have missed some tackles then because he hasn't been getting gouged that much, even against the NFL's most prolific passing offense.

Just curious, what do they have Gunter ranked?

Once again, Goodson allowed a perfect passer rating when targeted yesterday. He has played a total of 145 snaps and Pro Football Focus have taken every single one into consideration to come up with his grade.

Gunter is currently ranked 46th.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

So the Packers #5 or 6 CB is ranked just out of the top 100? Lets see 2 starters per team plus the nickel on 32 teams (hm :tdown: carry the one , nought, nought, bring down the six hm) is 96 CBs that on average should be rated higher than him. Right about where I'd expect the dime back to be. His problem ATM is he's the starter, not the D-back due to injuries. He's not done with the develop part of draft and develop.

D

Deleted member 6794

So the Packers #5 or 6 CB is ranked just out of the top 100? Lets see 2 starters per team plus the nickel on 32 teams (hm :tdown: carry the one , nought, nought, bring down the six hm) is 96 CBs that on average should be rated higher than him. Right about where I'd expect the dime back to be. His problem ATM is he's the starter, not the D-back due to injuries. He's not done with the develop part of draft and develop.

There's absolutely no reason to take any pride in Goodson being ranked 109th out of 118 qualifying cornerbacks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason to take any pride in Goodson being ranked 109th out of 118 qualifying cornerbacks.
I'm the kind of guy I guess that thinks he'll continue to develop and improve. It seems to happen that way frequently enough for me to be optimistic. I think pretty highly of Whitt andhis ability to work with young corners.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Corners can't cover the middle that is supposed to be covered by LBs or safeties. That's the defense's Achilles heel. And has been for years.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Corners can't cover the middle that is supposed to be covered by LBs or safeties. That's the defense's Achilles heel. And has been for years.
I agree that we are very inconsistent covering the middle with LB's and Safeties. Martinez bites badly on the play-action and neither safety seems to me to be very instinctive or quick in coverage. I don't think Dix and Burnett complement each other well.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You are right, there isn't. And in a perfect world he wouldn't have enough snaps to be a qualifying CB. That is the problem, he is playing before he is ready because there is no other option. Baptism under fire as it were.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm the kind of guy I guess that thinks he'll continue to develop and improve. It seems to happen that way frequently enough for me to be optimistic. I think pretty highly of Whitt andhis ability to work with young corners.

Goodson is in his third season and hasn't shown any improvement as a cornerback, therefore I'm not optimistic about his development. I agree about Whitt being an exceptional position coach though.

Corners can't cover the middle that is supposed to be covered by LBs or safeties.

Slot corners are responsible to cover the middle of the field as well.

You are right, there isn't. And in a perfect world he wouldn't have enough snaps to be a qualifying CB. That is the problem, he is playing before he is ready because there is no other option. Baptism under fire as it were.

I agree that the Packers didn't plan on Goodson playing significant snaps on defense. I highly doubt he will ever be ready to perform on a decent level at cornerback though.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously. OL, S, CBs, DL, ILBs, Olbs are more talented. Qb, WRs, RBs, TEs are less talented. 2010 team barely got into playoffs. Needed help on week 17 to even get in.

What do you see that leads you to think the 2010 was so much more talented that an opinion to the contrary is seen as a joke?

Dude remember this in 2010 on Defense we had ONE GUY who didn't miss time due to injury and that was AJ Hawk, if you're using backups 3rd 4th and 5th string guys of COURSE you're gonna be better with top line talent.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol your 2016-17 Packers ladies and gents. People started drinking the kool aid about the run defense when they have not even played anyone. Secondary sucks..Gunter is not the answer and neither is Randle. Packers need to draft a corner badly. Fast WRs wouldn't hurt either.

CB is definitely a need, the fill ins for Shields have been mostly terrible , and there's no guarantee he'll return. WR too, we have the same separation problems week after week. Considering we don't really have an actual healthy running back on the roster right now and Lacy likely won't return, there's another need. OLB will be a need as well as we're sure to lose some of Peppers, Perry, and Datone. If Lang and Tretter depart, a lineman will probably be needed . ILB could still use an upgrade. If Jared Cook doesn't return, we'll need a TE.

Basically almost every position on the team will be a need, so given TTs aversion to free agency, get ready for us to fill those needs with plenty of late round draft picks and undrafted free agents.

Members online

Latest posts