After all the talk the last few years

D

Deleted member 6794

Though I don't recall the circumstances of each loss in 2010, I do recall that lineman running back a pooch kickoff some 70 yards as the key margin of difference. It was all the more frustrating given that loss in week 15 put a severe dent in their playoff chances. Had Tampa not lost to a weak Detroit team in OT that same day, it would have been all but lights out.

The missing piece on that team was a decent RB. Once Starks emerged all the necessary pieces were in place.

Well, the 2010 Packers lost two games in overtime, one on a field goal with time running out, another vs. the Bears while committing 18 penalties and the rest of it with Flynn having to finish the game at Detroit as well as him playing the entire contest at New England (which feature a 71 yard kickoff return by an offensive lineman).

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Knock it the **** off already. I watch all the games.

You are rewritting history. Packers barely made the playoffs and many were demanding MM and TT be fired during the season. They turned it around and got hot at the end of the season and rode it to the Superbowl.

You hit 'er on the head with the "Knock it the **** off already." comment and that MM and TT were being brutalized in 2010. 2010 was a Cinderella happenstance ... but a darned nice one. :)

H

HardRightEdge

Yes. Our secondary was last this good during the Lombardi years.
With three legit Pro Bowlers in 2010? Collins, Williams having a career year, and Woodson who was robbed of All Pro and arguably a back-to-back DPOY. Throw in Shields.

We can dig a bit deeper. 2010 was Matthews sole All Pro Selection. That was reflective of it being legitimately his best season in my opinion. It was statistically and by my eye test. Raji...best season. Jenkins...arguably his best season. Hawk...his best season at ILB.

Even the supporting cast was respectable to pretty good. The Walden/Zombo combo combined for 7 sacks. It's often forgotten that Walden was actually an NFL Defensive Player of the Week that season. Bishop had a nice year. Counting IR guys, there was Barnett, a player a lot of fans liked though in my opinion his injury was addition by subtraction. Pickett still had some game left.

Peprah was something of a weak link. But again, counting IR guys, there was Bigby. He probably couldn't play under today's rules, but he could take a guy's head off.

This was a very strong defense, with some good-to-great players at all levels.

It's generally been forgotten it was the uncapped year, and the Packers spent to the max...second highest salary spend in the league.

Once Shields came on, this was no Cinderella team...the best team won.

I remain optimistic about this season. The QB, the OL, the front 7, and the safeties are the strength...that might be enough in a season where it's hard to spot a NFC team that's exceptional on both sides of the ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The only way this team could be considered as talented as the 2010 team is if Rodgers returns to his old self.

As I've mentioned before Rodgers didn't have a fast start to the 2010 season either. Actually he currently has a higher passer rating (91.7) than after six games in '10 (89.7).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With three legit Pro Bowlers in 2010? Collins, Williams having a career year, and Woodson who was robbed of All Pro and arguably a back-to-back DPOY. Throw in Shields.

We can dig a bit deeper. 2010 was Matthews sole All Pro Selection. That was reflective it being legitimately his best season in my opinion. It was statistically and by my eye test. Raji...best season. Jenkins...arguably his best season. Hawk...his best season at ILB.

Even the supporting cast was respectable to pretty good. The Walden/Zombo combo combined for 7 sacks. It's often forgotten that Walden was actually an NFL Defensive Player of the Week that season. Bishop had a nice year. Counting IR guys, there was Barnett, a player a lot of fans liked though in my opinion his injury was addition by subtraction. Pickett still had some game left.

Peprah was something of a weak link. But again, counting IR guys, there was Bigby. He probably couldn't play under today's rules, but he could take a guy's head off.

This was a very strong defense, with some good-to-great players at all levels.

It's generally been forgotten it was uncapped year, and the Packers spent to the max...second highest salary spend in the league.

Once Shields came on, this was no Cinderella team...the best team won.

I remain optimistic about this season. The QB, the OL, the front 7, and the safeties are the strength...that might be enough in a season where it's hard to spot a NFC team that's exceptional on both sides of the ball.
Perhaps you are right. I factor in youth to my equations. Woodson was on the decline as well as Williams. Hawk was never more than assignment sure. On the contrary, most of our defensive players right now, are still on the upswing. Only Matthews, Peppers, and Shields are on the decline. HaHa, Ryan, Daniels, Martinez, Gunter, Randall, and Perry all look very promising. Clark and Frackrell are also showing some play-making abilitiy as well. The future is looking bright for the Packer defense.

I do think this defense is playing better than in 2010. Given the choice, I would take this defense now than the one in 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

On the contrary, most of our defensive players right now, are still on the upswing. Only Matthews, Peppers, and Shields are on the decline. HaHa, Ryan, Daniels, Martinez, Gunter, Randall, and Perry all look very promising. Clark and Frackrell are also showing some play-making abilitiy as well. The future is looking bright for the Packer defense.

I do think this defense is playing better than in 2010. Given the choice, I would take this defense now than the one in 2010.

I agree that the Packers current defense has a lot of potential but they haven't performed up to it by any means so far.

It's ludicrous to mention that this year's unit is playing on a higher level than the one in 2010.

H

HardRightEdge

As I've mentioned before Rodgers didn't have a fast start to the 2010 season either. Actually he currently has a higher passer rating (91.7) than after six games in '10 (89.7).
As an old poker buddy of mine would say, "Little possums walk early, big possums walk late."

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5th string playing . . . I dont care what team or who the gm is, thats just asking for disaster. But some people will automatically blame ted and coaches for not having starters at 5th string

No no no...people blame them for sticking with 5th stringers. That's the difference.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No no no...people blame them for sticking with 5th stringers. That's the difference.

First of all, people do blame TT and coaches for not having great depth everywhere.

Secondly, the alternative of cutting a player and signing someone who isn't good enough to even be on a roster anywhere is better? Plus, the new guys have to learn the whole system.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers current defense has a lot of potential but they haven't performed up to it by any means so far.

It's ludicrous to mention that this year's unit is playing on a higher level than the one in 2010.
When I really thought about it harder and went back and looked at the 2010 schedule, i agree that the 2010 defense was a better unit. They were better than the 2010 offense also.

D

Deleted member 6794

Secondly, the alternative of cutting a player and signing someone who isn't good enough to even be on a roster anywhere is better? Plus, the new guys have to learn the whole system.

The Packers could have been able to find an upgrade over Goodson all offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

How many times was Goodson targetted yesterday?

It's amazing that you can't even agree that Goodson is a terrible cornerback as you would have to admit Thompson made a mistake not replacing him, especially as he was suspended for the first four weeks of the season.

FWIW Goodson was targeted five times allowing four catches for 73 yards and a TD yesterday.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's amazing that you can't even agree that Goodson is a terrible cornerback as you would have to admit Thompson made a mistake not replacing him, especially as he was suspended for the first four weeks of the season.

FWIW Goodson was targeted five times allowing four catches for 73 yards and a TD yesterday.
It's amazing that you would come to that conclusion from me asking a couple of benign questions. Why do you insist on acting that way? I hadn't come to a conclusion either way on the subject of Goodson.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here by suspecting that Thompson wasn't expecting his top 3 CB's to simultaneously be out for more than half of the 1st seven games.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here by suspecting that Thompson wasn't expecting his top 3 CB's to simultaneously be out for more than half of the 1st seven games.

True, nevertheless there was no reason to hold on to Goodson though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
True, nevertheless there was no reason to hold on to Goodson though.
He was one of the better ST players last year. I don't think that was enough to keep him on the 53 this year. His suspension gave him an extra 4 weeks with the team as he was FREE at the time (no cost, no spot). When decision time came, several spots had opened up for him to play a defensive spot as opposed to concentrating on STs. Ain't much available for his cost that can step into the defense and start this late in the season. As said before, I don't think Goodson starting was in the gameplan during the off season. Nickle / dime? maybe. Covering Julio or OBjr all game? no.

D

Deleted member 6794

He was one of the better ST players last year. I don't think that was enough to keep him on the 53 this year. His suspension gave him an extra 4 weeks with the team as he was FREE at the time (no cost, no spot). When decision time came, several spots had opened up for him to play a defensive spot as opposed to concentrating on STs. Ain't much available for his cost that can step into the defense and start this late in the season. As said before, I don't think Goodson starting was in the gameplan during the off season. Nickle / dime? maybe. Covering Julio or OBjr all game? no.

In my opinion it was pretty obvious before the start of this offseason that Goodson was a liability in coverage. Therefore Thompson shoukd have replaced him months ago.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Goodson fan, but the league is filled with guys with less ability than him on rosters all over that far down the depth chart. His TD yesterday wasn't horrible coverage either. It wasn't perfect but it was closer to being very good than very bad. It was a perfect throw with late safety help. I'm not holding that against him.

I don't particularly care for him, but he's like bush was. A ST contributed that shouldn't see the field much as a regular defensive player.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In my opinion it was pretty obvious before the start of this offseason that Goodson was a liability in coverage. Therefore Thompson shoukd have replaced him months ago.
Every year, TT has 3-4 guys on the roster that "didn't earn it." Last few years were Goodson, Banjo, and Abby's turn. Without the injuries ahead of him on the depth chart, I don't believe Goodson would be on the roster anymore either. When Hawkins gets more comfortable and one of Rollins or Randall get back, I'd expect Goodson to be back to a ST ace.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I get it, it's pretty clear that if you were GM the roster would be churned incessantly. We know that you're not a believer in draft and develop and that there are a multitude of well conditioned free agents that know the Packer playbook, hanging around on the "better than mediocre CB tree" waiting for the opportunity to play for veterans minimum and excel at both CB and ST play. You take every opportunity you can to absolutely tell us the correct way to manage an NFL roster with almost zero day to day detailed info from the coaching staff.

Just sayin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts